New Here

DrUmM@sT3r

Name
Mark Medora
Hello my name is Mark new to this board.
Would really appeciate some info on starting up my own new Carpet Cleaning Business.
Mainly I will be doing residential with some small business's.

1 van 1 employee (me)

slide in unit?

Brand? Size?

Chemicals?

LLC or INC?

Do and Don'ts?

etc

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks,
Mark

ps ? Hope it was ok to post this here?

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Welcome Mark.

Regarding slide-in vs. direct-drive, I prefer a slide-in. But I would avise a new guy to find a deal on a good used machine, of either configuration. For a slide-in, I would get a minimum 25 hp engine with a minimum 45 blower.

Most major chemical brands are good enough. (Bridgepoint, CTI, Judson, are the ones I have experience with, in alphabetical order.) Find a distributor near you. (Where is Ridgecrest?)

You could call Greenie and Lisa at 1-866-get-teflon for Judson chemicals and lots of other good stuff and advice.

Feel free to phone or PM me with any question.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
One of the advantages of a person starting today as opposed to when I started is the amount of information available about all aspects of the work and running a business. Certainly you should work in the industry just to see if this is right for you before you invest the money in machines as there is a considerable start-up cost involved and the work is not easy. Train like an athlete, you will need strength and plenty of endurance. Most importantly you will need lots of customers. Learn as much as you can about marketing your business.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Your first step should be to take IICRC carpet and upholstery classes. A lot of your questions will be answered there.

TimP

I started with the class myself....that's about the best advice right there. That way you get an idea of what's going on and you'll start out knowing more than most cleaners in your area.

2nd if you don't have money saved up to start a business I'd highly advise looking into used equipment......a good thing about doing that right now is that there are so many businesses who have failed so equipment is cheap in the used market.

3rd if you don't have the drive to go out and get business you're going to have a tough time. You have to find a way to generate business. For a start up it's hard to spend money advertising when you have no income so it's kinda like a chicken and the egg concept.

4th use the search button on here and other boards......there is tons of information out there. And when you have questions after doing that ask.

truckmountdeals.com and jondon.com both are good sources for used equipment.....butlersystem.com has a classified section also. Good luck!

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Find your local supply store first. You can get info on alot there if the guys aren't dicks. Get trained.

Bridgepoint are good chems

don't start with a porty, get a jump on your future (that sounded like an infomercial). You won't regret getting a TM if you are serious about doing this.

Go with a TM that your local guys can work on easily unless you plan on working on it yourself...you will need to work on it sooner or later.

Talk to you big companies in the area and see if they have an extra TM lying around that you can buy. maybe a local owner/operator has one he is trying to sale. Don't get one that has been sitting around for 2 years.

Try to buy the turn key (van and TM ready to go). Might be less hassle.

Get to know carpet cleaners in your area and join some kind of Carpet Cleaning board on that internet thing...oh yea.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Oh, and as far as getting business..thanks Timp
Call you local property managers and get some flyers to the residential area you would like to be in.
If you are new to carpet cleaning, practice like hell in your house or a friends house.

you don't want to learn in a customers house. Bad news travels fast.

Pick a good name for your company. I will go back and see if you have one.
keep your image up. Wear a uniform of some sort...the housewives are impressed with that.

Try to get a van that looks clean...more important than the look of the TM if you have to chose. Tint the windows and get nice emblems on it.

buy a Green horn from greenglides.
What you bring into the house is very important. What people see is what there impression of you will be.

Shave, get a haircut and don't smoke.
Speak like a human and not an animal no matter how the customer speaks.

get a small ad in the phone book...unless you have alot of money to burn the first year.
Make it simple

Don't drive crazy in the van, don't sing to the top of your lungs banging on the steering wheel while driving.

potential customers see that crap.

DrUmM@sT3r

Name
Mark Medora
Wow thanks for all the replys - some great info for sure. :)

I am 43 yrs old and have worked for a major shipping company for 10 yrs (not brown) use to lift 1500 to 2000lbs a day, working 12-15 hrs was the norm. Resigned due to no raises and brown was making 10 per hour more. Also Brown was Union we were not.

Just recently resigned from Sales at a automotive dealership (3 Saturdays a month, no raises, wages were going down each year) also I have worked for an auto detail shop. I am looking to make my own schedule and have more time with my 12 year old son.

I noticed you mentioned "Used" I am in a postion to pay cash for a new van/slide in and equipment needed, although slightly used (1 or 2 yrs old and under 30k miles) would be great. An definatly a cost saver.

1) Does anyone run diesel engines in here vans? I know some of the diesel engines I used to sell got 20 mpg (truck/empty) vs gas only about 12 mpg, also longevity is 300k average vs 200k gas. I realize the diesel motor will bump the price about 8 grand. Also is a 3/4 ton ok? or is a 1 ton needed? Where can I purchase a turn key vehicle in Reno, NV or Los Angeles? (Ridgecrest is 2 hrs north of Palmdale/Lancaster)

2) I talked to a guy who did my carpets, he works from 8 am to about noon and pulls about 80k a year. (mind you he's been doing it for 15 yrs and has over 300 customers) He wants 70k for his business? (gulp)

3) I have a good reputation in this small town, and realize this may take a while to get going, I have a small Bissel that I used to do my own carpets. With just warm tap water and their shampoo spending a lot of time at it, I got the carpets cleaner than the so called pro did this last time.
(He wanted to get in and get out) That's how you make money I suppose, but customer satisfaction I believe is crucial. I guess I am saying I know I can do this job well. I tend to be a perfectionist. (probably won't get rich - laffz)

I am also a firm believer in advertising, newspaper, phone books, etc

Thanks Again I really appreciate the input here as the internet is my only option in this small town.

Mark

DrUmM@sT3r

Name
Mark Medora
Brian Robison said:
Oh, and as far as getting business..thanks Timp
Call you local property managers and get some flyers to the residential area you would like to be in.
If you are new to carpet cleaning, practice like hell in your house or a friends house.

you don't want to learn in a customers house. Bad news travels fast.

Pick a good name for your company. I will go back and see if you have one.
keep your image up. Wear a uniform of some sort...the housewives are impressed with that.

Try to get a van that looks clean...more important than the look of the TM if you have to chose. Tint the windows and get nice emblems on it.

buy a Green horn from greenglides.
What you bring into the house is very important. What people see is what there impression of you will be.

Shave, get a haircut and don't smoke.
Speak like a human and not an animal no matter how the customer speaks.

get a small ad in the phone book...unless you have alot of money to burn the first year.
Make it simple

Don't drive crazy in the van, don't sing to the top of your lungs banging on the steering wheel while driving.

potential customers see that crap.

Exactly how I was thinking uniform, shaven, nice vehicle, professional.....

All easy for me as I have been in auto sales. I agree completely with your post.

Thanks,
Mark

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
If you want to keep your customers and build your business then great customer service is number one.
cater to there feelings
take care of their property
Give them some foot covers after the job, get some corner protectors for the walls. Use walk off matts for hard surfaces to keep the footprints off of them. Clean up your messes. Don't fart in the house unless you suck it up with the hose. Don't leak on their driveway, oil or urine.
Treat them well, be informative without being over informative. stick to the basics IE; No sticky residue, stays cleaner longer, no crunchy carpet, no harsh chemicals. Baby safe, pet safe.
Call them back in six months, Try to give them something free like spotters with your name on it.
Leave a magnet on the fridge with your info.
Be creative.

Mikey P

Administrator
Mark

I am making you a Supportive Member.
Make sure to spend some time "searching" in the Marketing room here. LOADS of great info for a guy in your position.

Do your self a huge favor and take a SFS class at Jon Don asap.

Good luck!!

DrUmM@sT3r

Name
Mark Medora
Mikey P said:
Mark

I am making you a Supportive Member.
Make sure to spend some time "searching" in the Marketing room here. LOADS of great info for a guy in your position.

Do your self a huge favor and take a SFS class at Jon Don asap.

Good luck!!

Thanks a lot Mike :) Ok I'll go check out SFS and the search in Marketing. Just a side note I go to Santa Cruz once a year to see my fav band Y&T at The Catalyst. Great town I stay at the Bay Front Inn. Saw Blue Oyster Cult in July at The Boardwalk as well.

Mikey P

Administrator
Larry B said:
[quote="Mikey P":182longu]Come down a day early next time and do a ride along.

No better way to learn about this biz.

Is this *** or Mikey,s?[/quote:182longu]

Ride alongs are nothing new, been doing them for years.

I did a ride along yesterday (Josh from 4 Star and have another on Thursday, Joe King, both members here)

DrUmM@sT3r

Name
Mark Medora
well I sure appreciate the offer - won't be over there until next summer. 9 hr drive one way for me (sigh)

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
All good advice from above.

You need to ask yourself a question though.

Am I doing this as a hobby or to be successful and provide a comfortable living for myself and my family?

So many get into carpet cleaning looking at it backwards. You first need to be a business man and a student of money.

Spend time educating yourself on the financial side of owning your business as well as the technical side.

Brainpower is the ultimate business leverage!

I am also a firm believer in advertising, newspaper, phone books, etc

Don't follow the same path that 90% of others that get into this business go down. Traditional forms of advertising such as the Yellow pages and newspapers aren't the path you'll want to take.

Focus on getting clients and working for people that have more money than you do!

Spend time picking out a name that will set you apart and help build a brand for the company you want to build.

Google "Choosing a business name" for a lot of info on that subject.

Use that brand to promote yourself.

Think outside the box. Network with other business professionals. Join a marketing group such as B.N.I.

Spend a lot of time looking back on past posts on this board for a lot of excellent ideas that will shorten your learning curve.

Give me a ring if you want to chat. I'd love to help you in any way that I could.

Lonny

Supportive Member
If you are a one man show-go for the LLC, Incorporating (granted I am not in CA) typically involves holding a shareholders meeting- complete with minutes, etc., as well as other rules that IMO complicate the process. When you do get large enough, you can always convert to a corporation. I am new as well, got a ton of great info. from this board, I have my first class at Superior in Orem at the end of the month, ans am trying to get up and running by mid month next month. Good luck to ya!

DrUmM@sT3r

Name
Mark Medora
MicahR said:
All good advice from above.

You need to ask yourself a question though.

Am I doing this as a hobby or to be successful and provide a comfortable living for myself and my family?

Wow that hit home,

Honestly Humn, I lost 5 family members and my former boss all due to heart related illness in 2006. So do I want to be number 1? (No) Do I want to grow the business to the point of of more trucks / employees?(no)...... so some hobby and mainly to provide.

I want to work 20-30 hrs a week (like this guy who came to my place) and I want to have more free time to play. (See my son play sports and I own a $40k Custom Chopper and love to ride) so I went and had my heart checked (doc said it's ok-but my family still concerns me - obviously)

So my goal is get a nice vehicle with some nice equipment and advertise and mostly be my own boss. (Very Simple) Very Simple place I live in - small rural community. I.E No Stress - work some / play some more.

With that said?

Who makes the best equipment? Bane? or

Who sells the most? I need to track down a dealer in either Reno, NV or Los Angeles.

Thanks You to all who posted here - I have read each and every post several times. :)
I sure appeciate all the help and suggestions.

Mark

TimP

Do NOT get a bane. You might as well get a portable to start out with in my opinion. If you want to go the electric route get in touch with Odin he can get you into an electric machine that works worth a beans.

Get you a real TM with some real heat is what I suggest.

Reputable TM manufactures that I know of, although there may be more that's the big boys at least.

Prochem
Blueline
Hydramaster
Judson
Powerclean
White Magic
Aerotec

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Prochem Everest
Prochem Apex
both great machines

Becareful with your e-mail address I can smell the sharks getting ready to circle fresh meat.

Roger Koh

Mark,

This guy you admire works 4 hours a day and pull about 80K a year.

I admire him as a very successful man too; if he works 8 hours as most man does we can presume he may pull 160K compare to the median income for man is only $46,993 (2000 census Ridgecrest City).

This city has 9,826 household besides this guy, it is also supporting existing carpet cleaners like Service Master - Indian Wells, Dison Carpet Cleaning, Aguilar’s Carpet Cleaning, etc.

So if this guy does not “pull wool over your eyes” (trying to unload 70K and run) instead, I wish you all the best!

Year 2000 census - The median income for a household in the city was $44,971, and the median income for a family was $52,725. Males had a median income of $46,993 versus $29,558 for females. The per capita income for the city was $21,312. About 10.2% of families and 12.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 17.5% of those under age 18 and 5.1% of those age 65 or over.

Roger Koh
Leather Doctor® System

DrUmM@sT3r

Name
Mark Medora
Roger Koh said:
Mark,

This guy you admire works 4 hours a day and pull about 80K a year.

I admire him as a very successful man too; if he works 8 hours as most man does we can presume he may pull 160K compare to the median income for man is only $46,993 (2000 census Ridgecrest City).

This city has 9,826 household besides this guy, it is also supporting existing carpet cleaners like Service Master - Indian Wells, Dison Carpet Cleaning, Aguilar’s Carpet Cleaning, etc.

So if this guy does not “pull wool over your eyes” (trying to unload 70K and run) instead, I wish you all the best!

Year 2000 census - The median income for a household in the city was $44,971, and the median income for a family was $52,725. Males had a median income of $46,993 versus $29,558 for females. The per capita income for the city was $21,312. About 10.2% of families and 12.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 17.5% of those under age 18 and 5.1% of those age 65 or over.

Roger Koh
Leather Doctor® System

Nice Stats but let's just do some simple math....

If one charges 85.00 an hour and works 4-5 a day monday though friday

85 x 4 = $340.00 let's lower that due to say "life" (laffz) and figuire

250 a day times 5 days $1250.00 a week (some days more some less)

x 4 weeks = $5000.00 monthly

x 12 months = $60,000.00 yearly

Now I have not looked at his books but I know what he charged me and watched the time I figuired 76k and that is what he said he made last year.

Regardless of the town stats .....do you think this is unattainable? (curious here)

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
DrUmM@sT3r said:

Now I have not looked at his books but I know what he charged me and watched the time I figuired 76k and that is what he said he made last year.

Regardless of the town stats .....do you think this is unattainable? (curious here)

welcome Mark

you might want to subtract some "little things" like all the expenses and taxes from your $60K salary.
Not to mention travel time on that base figure of $85 an hour

your "net" salary figure will be quite different

..l.T.A.

DrUmM@sT3r

Name
Mark Medora
meAt said:
DrUmM@sT3r said:

welcome Mark

you might want to subtract some "little things" like all the expenses and taxes from your $60K salary.

..l.T.A.

Yes I was figuring a "Gross" salary....."Net" would be quite a bit lower - especially when California fuel prices were at $5.00 dollars a gallon.
of course supplies, propane, travel time, and yes the dreaded quarterlys...

TimP

DrUmM@sT3r said:
meAt said:
[quote="DrUmM@sT3r":2sdus3x7]

welcome Mark

..l.T.A.

Yes I was figuring a "Gross" salary....."Net" would be quite a bit lower - especially when California fuel prices were at $5.00 dollars a gallon.
of course supplies, propane, travel time, and yes the dreaded quarterlys...[/quote:2sdus3x7]

I can tell you my volume in my biz is very similar to the above. I can tell you that I only probably take home 1/4 to 1/2 of what I bring in. I don't know the exact figure but it's definitely less than half of what I bring in on the tickets.

Think about it you have fixed expenses.

Truck/equipment payment
insurance payments
phone payments
advertising

variable
gas
chemicals
repairs
taxes

And probably more. Yeah it's a good job and you get motivated by the dollar amount on your tickets but it aint what you're makin for sure!!!

Roger Koh

You begin at the foothill with 0 customers and want to work only 20-30hrs a week.

Did he work from 8 to 12 from day one to reach his mountain top today?

You are 43 yrs old.

How old is he?

Why is he thinking of something else if life is a cruise cleaning carpet?

You have to either put in 15 years of sweat and tears or pay him 70K before you can enjoy his present life style.

And there is no assurance that these 300 customers will buy your service too!

Roger Koh
Leather Doctor® System
604 468 2340 (PST)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom