New Here

DrUmM@sT3r

Name
Mark Medora
Thanks Tim (and everyone else)

I know there is no perfect job, but to gross 80 and even net 40 is about where I was in my last job. (perhaps less and was working 3 saturdays a month 55+ hrs a week)

The thing that I am most excited about is "BEING MY OWN BOSS"

I am so sick of some mgr making a schedule I have to adhere too (30 yrs now) and always having to work 50-60 hrs a week.

I am ready to be my own boss and (Thank you) but I'll schedule when I can come to your house.

This has been great, some real good insight on here about the business and if you guys weren't making any money - none of you would be here or cleaning carpets.

So Far what I have gotten out of this post.

1) Get some training
2) Get a used Truck Mount (slide in)
3) Prochem Judson
4) Creative advertising / marketing
5) Ride alongs

DrUmM@sT3r

Name
Mark Medora
Roger Koh said:
You begin at the foothill with 0 customers and want to work only 20-30hrs a week. True ...I'm going to have to work hard at the beginning and i realize that, just maybe not 3 Saturdays and 55+ a week

Did he work from 8 to 12 from day one to reach his mountain top today? Not sure how his 15 yrs has been, he did say he started with a portable in the beginning

You are 43 yrs old.

How old is he? 57 and wants to retire at 62, told me he has planned it with serveral IRA's and investments

Why is he thinking of something else if life is a cruise cleaning carpet? Said he is getting tired and only works part time now

You have to either put in 15 years of sweat and tears or pay him 70K before you can enjoy his present life style. I believe you are correct there, hence me thinking maybe I should just start my own? He talks about selling but I think he's going to hang onto business for a few more years actually

And there is no assurance that these 300 customers will buy your service too! This is true, he mentioned training for 2 months prior to me taking over, keeping the service the same. I am nervous about it, it's a lot of money.
Roger Koh
Leather Doctor® System
604 468 2340 (PST)

Roger you have many years (35) and bring up so many valid points. Thank you for pointing out so many things. This whole thing is easier said than done.

Mark

Name
steve snail
I want to work 20-30 hrs a week (like this guy who came to my place) and I want to have more free time to play.

No passion there my good man. Poll most of the guys here and they are putting in 50-70 hours (production, paper, maintenance. etc.) a week. Hate to bust your bubble, but 40 hr work weeks are for losers.

Spurling

Hey Mark .. theres a really nice lookin truck with a powerful direct drive unit made by Prochem .. capable of cleaning with two wands for sale at jondon.com .. the unit itself is 20k new .. the van fully equipped with (2) 120 gallon tanks is selling for 20K .. it also has a sharp custom purple paint job .. that aughta turn some heads .. attract attention to your company

DrUmM@sT3r

Name
Mark Medora
Steve in Omaha said:
I want to work 20-30 hrs a week (like this guy who came to my place) and I want to have more free time to play.

No passion there my good man. Poll most of the guys here and they are putting in 50-70 hours (production, paper, maintenance. etc.) a week. Hate to bust your bubble, but 40 hr work weeks are for losers.

Losers? (laffz)

So unless I work at least 50hrs? I'm.... ? :roll:

Walt

Most people who have a successful business are working more than 40 hours a week. I bet if you talk to your friend selling the business, he means 4-5 hours a day either cleaning or driving. He probably isn't counting the time spent doing paper work, going to the bank, coming up with marketing materials and education. Those things can take a tremendous amount of time especially if you are particular or are planning on growing in the future - and even more so if you new and haven't quite got the swing of things.

DrUmM@sT3r

Name
Mark Medora
Walt said:
Most people who have a successful business are working more than 40 hours a week. I bet if you talk to your friend selling the business, he means 4-5 hours a day either cleaning or driving. He probably isn't counting the time spent doing paper work, going to the bank, coming up with marketing materials and education. Those things can take a tremendous amount of time especially if you are particular or are planning on growing in the future - and even more so if you new and haven't quite got the swing of things.

Great point Walt

Yea my friends who run their own business' are always complaining about the paperwork and phone calls after the are finished and back home.

:)

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
"Yea my friends who run their own business' are always complaining about the paperwork and phone calls after the are finished and back home.

:)[/quote]"

For me it has been a huge time saver to have my calls go directly to my cell which I answer on the job no matter what I'm doing, even floor tooling stairs. Returning calls can gobble many hours a week, but if you talk directly to the person calling when they call, it takes very little time.

DrUmM@sT3r

Name
Mark Medora
Art Kelley said:
"Yea my friends who run their own business' are always complaining about the paperwork and phone calls after the are finished and back home.

"

For me it has been a huge time saver to have my calls go directly to my cell which I answer on the job no matter what I'm doing, even floor tooling stairs. Returning calls can gobble many hours a week, but if you talk directly to the person calling when they call, it takes very little time.[/quote]

That's interesting, most I know have the people call their home number and hope they leave a message, then call back later. If they didn't leave a message - they might call another cleaning outfit and you could very well loose the business.

Thanks Art (perhaps my girlfreind was right) forward all calls to your cell while out working.

Name
I'm Rick James
There is no better feeling than being your own boss. If you are new to the industry take Mike up on his ride along and learn the ropes. Take the Basic IICRC classes for carpet and UPH.

There are a ton on new carpet cleaning business that open every year and go out of business 1-2 years later. The main reason is getting in over your head with payments, buying the extra toys you *dont* need starting out. Get a good used TM, greenie wand, stair tool, uph tool, blower, carpet rake and a few odd and ends. Need to save money for marketing.

This job is 80% customer service and 20% cleaning. Its a easy job, when you learn the ropes. This forum is a hugh tool in help you be successful, just gotta put the ego aside and ask and listen.
Start with a foundation. A business and marketing plan is key.

The green movement is a big and will be for a long time, so IMHO you should offer GREEN cleaning. Its good for the customer to have options. Just make your business simple for the customer and for yourself and you will be OK. I have been cleaning for 10 years and I just started my business here in WA.

Good Luck

Brent

Roger Koh

DrUmM@sT3r said:
The thing that I am most excited about is "BEING MY OWN BOSS"

The thing that I am most concerned about is that the “I”, “ME” & “MYSELF” each wants to be the BOSS too!

The “I” may want to be free from the “30 years Chain”.

The “Me” may want the “Steady Flow of Income” (works from 8 am to about noon and pulls about 80k a year).

The “MYSELF” may want to play more than to work (more time with my 12 year old son)!

Who is the real BOSS here: “I”, “ME” or “MYSELF” ?

Roger Koh
Leather Doctor® System

DrUmM@sT3r

Name
Mark Medora
The Green One said:
There is no better feeling than being your own boss. If you are new to the industry take Mike up on his ride along and learn the ropes. Take the Basic IICRC classes for carpet and UPH.

There are a ton on new carpet cleaning business that open every year and go out of business 1-2 years later. The main reason is getting in over your head with payments, buying the extra toys you *dont* need starting out. Get a good used TM, greenie wand, stair tool, uph tool, blower, carpet rake and a few odd and ends. Need to save money for marketing.

This job is 80% customer service and 20% cleaning. Its a easy job, when you learn the ropes. This forum is a hugh tool in help you be successful, just gotta put the ego aside and ask and listen.
Start with a foundation. A business and marketing plan is key.

The green movement is a big and will be for a long time, so IMHO you should offer GREEN cleaning. Its good for the customer to have options. Just make your business simple for the customer and for yourself and you will be OK. I have been cleaning for 10 years and I just started my business here in WA.

Good Luck

Brent

Thanks for the "encouraging words" Brent and my best to you on your new business.

Mark

DrUmM@sT3r

Name
Mark Medora
I wanted to catch up with a few of you on here and say thanks again for all the input.

I took the training advice and went to a IICRC - CCT class last Dec (still waiting for the test score via mail) Man quite the chemestry lesson - I was suprised how much was involved but now feel really good that I took the class.

I was enrolled for a class this weekend - UFT but it was postponed until April. I did get a letter from a store sort of close by, that IICRC is offering a class in Feb on SMT so I'm going to enroll in that course next.

In the meantime I bought a used 2006 Chevy Ext van 2500 with 24k miles with a Prochem Apex (also 2006) installed in it, with 2 fresh water tanks, couple wands, and a stair tool. I will be purchasing chemicals, upholstery tool, grooming tool, and blowers shortly. (I was in a position to buy the rig outright - so no payments)

I think my biggest struggle (in my head) right now is naming the business.

Thanks again to all who gave advice, I really appreciate it.

Mark

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom