New living room rug

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
What year is your Britannica set? Mine's 1911.
Not encylopedias. They are collections of well known author published in the early 1900's mostly. Some are from the Book League of America and others from the Oxford House in Montreal. They belonged to my Grandfather and one of my uncles. I have read most of them. I am a bit of a book nut. These may not be particularly valuable but I enjoy them. I also have a nice leather bound collection of Charles Dickens and Alexander Dumas pubished around the same time.

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
Not encylopedias. They are collections of well known author published in the early 1900's mostly. Some are from the Book League of America and others from the Oxford House in Montreal. They belonged to my Grandfather and one of my uncles. I have read most of them. I am a bit of a book nut. These may not be particularly valuable but I enjoy them. I also have a nice leather bound collection of Charles Dickens and Alexander Dumas pubished around the same time.
I like alexandre dumas. Count of monte cristo is one of my favorites.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I like alexandre dumas. Count of monte cristo is one of my favorites.

PXL_20201206_190040496.MP.jpg

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
It’s amazing how much controversy is in his writings for that time period. His attention to detail was absolute

Reactions: Cleanworks

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
What year is your Britannica set? Mine's 1911.

1965. My parents spent money they didn't have to get them for my sisters and me. They moved with me to my first apartment, then first house, then one more time before it really didn't make sense to keep them any longer.

The sentimental value was strong, but the practical value wasn't.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
1965. My parents spent money they didn't have to get them for my sisters and me. They moved with me to my first apartment, then first house, then one more time before it really didn't make sense to keep them any longer.

The sentimental value was strong, but the practical value wasn't.
Great grandfather Carlson bought the encyclopedias when he first arrived and wanted the family to assimilate. They're probably worth a couple hundred dollars, but I like the look. I advanced from children's books to these before I was old enough to go to school; at my parent's house they were the only books I could reach. A head full of hundred year-old junk is probably why I can't remember names.

PS: Mom was a nurse. I'm glad she kept the medical books up high.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
Great grandfather Carlson bought the encyclopedias when he first arrived and wanted the family to assimilate. They're probably worth a couple hundred dollars, but I like the look.
You would be shocked at how little those books are worth. When my father passed we had to get rid of his library that he had inherited from his parents, my great aunt, my uncle, etc. It was a vast library and we had 125 boxes once we boxed them all up. We got a few hundred bucks for some off the books, but mostly they were worthless. Book collectors only want books in pristine condition with the original dust cover.

Just like my dad's collection of old 78 records, there isn't a market for them any more. The people who would have bought them are too old to be buying that kind of stuff or are gone. The hot records that people are collecting now are old rock and roll.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom