New member here as Vortex/UD fuel pump issues

Mikey P

Administrator
So new he can't find the VAT room

He has two 2001 UD V-777s

Last year he had to replace fuel pumps in both trucks.. 13 months later one of the pumps goes out again.

$6000 for a rebuild!!

My mechanic thinks his mechanic is not filling the fuel filter after changes and not priming the motor with the pump either.

First time I've heard of this, how about you all?

gasaxe

most diesel trucks have two fuel pumps. one is a "lift" pump, it is low pressure and supplies fuel from the tank to the actual injection pump. The injection pump is the one with all the metal lines running to the individual injectors. If the lift pump is not performing up to snuff it can cause a failure in the injection pump. typically lift pumps are very inexpensive to rebuild or completely replace. If he is eating injection pumps then he needs to check that they are replacing or rebuilding the lift pump.

Name
BradFenstermaker
No clue, unless they aren't doing a good rebuild.

Problem may be downstream with the other pump, maybe starving for fuel like gasaxe said.

Let us know what he finds out. I would be looking for a second opinion if I where him.

Is he out west, we have a fuel pump rebuild shop here.

Just curious how many miles and hrs on the rebuilds?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Is he running biodiesel or does a UD have an ignored manual water filter dump?

Both biodiesel and water could damage the injection system, which on a FUSO is a $3,000 part, plus labor to install.

Our mechanic let us know that water in the fuel caused a system failure on our oldest truck (the newer ones have an auto water dump). We changed fueling stations and have not had the problem reoccur.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
i think they are ripping him off if they are charging him 6000 for a pump rebuild. i say this because a new injection pump fleet cost ( order it online) is as follows -
Injection Pump - MTM
(FD46TA) 1670029D02 1 $5,294.93 plus intallation of course.

if it is the feeder pump here is the part number and cost.
Injection Feed Pump
(INNER PARTS FIG.
E167G APP. NO.A1) 1664029D02 1 $258.25 plus installation.

but also could be any of the following and he need to diagnose the motor using a ud manual and counting the flashing lights in order to diagnose the problems and at least to see if there are any modules or sensors throwing codes before it went out.

GOVERNOR ASSY
(INNER PARTS FIG.
E167F APP. NO.A2) 1920029D12

COUPLING ASSY
(INNER PARTS FIG.
E167H APP. NO.A1) 1302229D62

ACTUATOR ASSY
(INNER PARTS FIG.
E167I APP. NO.A1) 1910730D01

i really think he should take them to a ud dealer at least to get them diagnosed.

Name
BradFenstermaker
I talked to local Diesel Shop that specialize in pump rebuilding. Without history knowledge they said it would be Dirty Fuel or Bio Diesel.

Told me to be changing my fuel filter at a minimum of 5000 miles. Dirty fuel is a BIG problem with these motors and pumps.

He ball parked around 2,500- 3000 dollars by memory for a rebuild but would have to look at the truck.

Also mentioned the dry filter at change, could definetely do some major pump damage.

Later

magicmist

I tried to post this yesterday but somehow it didn't work. I don't know how to use the internet, my secretaries are trying to teach me but it may be a lost cause.

Here is the story of the Vortex with the fuel pump problem: I have 2 Vortexes, a 2000 and a 2002 UD 1400s. In 2006 the 2002 had a wiring harness burn up. When that was replaced it still wouldn't run. They said that somehow the wiring harness problem had caused the internal fuel pump to go bad. I had a local diesel shop do the work because the nearest dealer is 50 miles and there was no way to get it there. Pump rebuilt by fuel injection service in York, PA cost $3,800. Labor to tear down and rebuild the engine was $1,200. Shipping, diagnostic, etc. was $400. After tax, that's a whale of a lot of money. In 2007, 13 months after the rebuild, it started running really bad but I got it to the dealer who said the fuel pump had gone out again. It had to be torn out and sent back for another rebuild. Of course, the warranty was only 12 months.

Last week the other Vortex, the 2000, stopped running and the same local shop says it needs the same thing at the same price. Does anyone know if I can get that part any cheaper? Part number 1670029D12, and what can I do to keep this from happening over and over again? I love the Vortex machine but am considering selling them because of the outlandish prices for repairs on these little Japanese Diesel engines.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
i think you need to take to another shop and get other opinions about what is wrong and the correct course to get it fixed.

Back
Top Bottom