New trend in rugs

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Here is a brand new rug designed to look like it is badly worn. At first glance, it looks like the backing is showing through but it is just color. What's next? Presoiled rugs?

IMG_20181025_134638.jpg IMG_20181025_134633.jpg

Tom Forsythe

Who knows where these ideas come from? I was at a furniture store and noticed an evenly worn rug on sale for $3000. In examining the rug, it was probably a throw away rug which was shorn so that it was evenly worn showing some pile along with the warp and the weft. There was a rug line from Romania in the 1980's that was actually burned and beaten to make these new rugs look like 40 year old rugs. In fact they were 40 year old rugs. I heard a story from a Turkish rug shop in Instanbul. If a customer liked a new rug but wanted it older, that the rug salemans would tell him that he new of a similar rug that was older. Overnight they would do all of the damage that they could do so that it looked like an older rug so that they could sell it the next day. The hardest thing to determine in oriental rugs is the age.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Who knows where these ideas come from? I was at a furniture store and noticed an evenly worn rug on sale for $3000. In examining the rug, it was probably a throw away rug which was shorn so that it was evenly worn showing some pile along with the warp and the weft. There was a rug line from Romania in the 1980's that was actually burned and beaten to make these new rugs look like 40 year old rugs. In fact they were 40 year old rugs. I heard a story from a Turkish rug shop in Instanbul. If a customer liked a new rug but wanted it older, that the rug salemans would tell him that he new of a similar rug that was older. Overnight they would do all of the damage that they could do so that it looked like an older rug so that they could sell it the next day. The hardest thing to determine in oriental rugs is the age.
Like women buying pre-ripped jeans.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
My daughter has three of those. When I visited she told me not to say a word about her rugs. "I like them, that's all I care about."

OK, at least they clean up easy.
It's just wool, nice and easy. We have a local store selling a "hand-knotted 100% man made silk rug for $1200. Advertised as a Persian Tabriz. Whoever buys it, can you say, "sucker".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom