New Vans

Fredster

Name
Fred Higgins
It is almost impossible to find a new GM V8 cargo van for direct drive unit installation.
2025 apparently will see ONLY battery powered vans coming from GM.
Dealers won't even take orders as far as I am aware.
I guess we could opt for a v6 or another brand van and go slide in.
I am not crazy about slide in machines.
Where is our industry on this?

Fredster

Name
Fred Higgins
No. I am calling dealers, doing my own research.
Found an article where GM has said 2025 is the end of gas vans.
I come here looking for more information

steve_64

Watch the nation lose power in 2026.

Electric rates will go up pretty substantially.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Where is our industry on this?

pure speculation on my part, but if cargo van manufactures won't warranty their trucks with DD unit
(the reason I suspect the Butler and HM haven't engineered and implemented a drive shaft system)

The alternative I see are the more expensive trucks with transfer case and true PTO
Like tow trucks n such

..L.T.A.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
It’s not just the vans

I called Aerotec about their box truck setups and they have their box trucks on back order until June 2023

• Wow
Reactions: Papa John

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Are they better at mixing drywall mud than slide in units?

are you stoopit?
Only idiots swat flies with sledgehammers

1662219243872.png

..L.T.A.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Just did a quick search of 3 dealers in my area. Found 2 brand new Savanah 2500 vans, 1 for $46,000. Several used 2020 vans with dealers trying to scam you out of $59,000.

FredC

Village Idiot
Found an article where GM has said 2025 is the end of gas vans.

link to article?

this doesn't sound right

I'd expect ice vans to be around beyond that until brightdrop has a lot more field time and adoption

FredC

Village Idiot
no doubt there will be.
But how long will GM be making the same cargo van and not go the way of Chrysler and Ford with a complete re-design not compatible with DD

..L.T.A.

my guess would be until he electric platform/brightdrop is more integrated and they can offset the fuel standards with EVs in the lineup......and of course people are still buying ICE vans in the current style.

No reason to come out with a euro type van as long as the above is true
No reason to shoehorn an EV van into the lineup too early

Then the switch to EV will happen.....and you will see electric or electric/hydraulic powered auxiliary systems instead of traditional pto

overall I'd say with current progression in battery storage/cost about 10 years at most....but not 3

Reactions: Dolly Llama
F

FB7777

Is Butler telling you this?
What I heard direct from Butler is that they are only being allotted V8 engines In The 2500 series GM cargo vans

It was The determining factor for me in purchasing the 2020 GM 6.6 liter with 4,600 miles on their website

GM is using the Larger motors for box trucks

Last edited by a moderator:
F

FB7777

link to article?

this doesn't sound right

I'd expect ice vans to be around beyond that until brightdrop has a lot more field time and adoption

Butler told me last year for gas motors was 2025

I’m either going to pull the trigger on a 2025 4.8 liter or if the feedback is bad I will buy a box or Cab forward

F

FB7777

I have a 3500. Why does Butler specify 2500?
I have the 4.8
I sometimes have to turn around and run back to help it catch up with me.
I wasn’t aware that the 3500 was available in a 4.8 powertrain, they probably offer the 3500 as well

My understanding is that GM is not putting the larger 6 liter engines in cargo vans , only the 4.8

The reality is the gas platforms for GM cargo vans as well as others is in the beginning stage of being phased out of existence

I’m too old of a dog and unwilling to adapt, I’ll just buy gas vans and then run them until I walk away

Last edited by a moderator:

FredC

Village Idiot
Butler told me last year for gas motors was 2025

I’m either going to pull the trigger on a 2025 4.8 liter or if the feedback is bad I will buy a box or Cab forward

maybe

We reached out to GM for comment, and this is the official statement sent to us:

"We have said in the past that as part of GM’s larger EV acceleration plans that we will add two new vehicles to our commercial portfolio. The first is a full-sized battery electric cargo van and the second is a medium-duty truck that will put both Ultium and our Hydrotec hydrogen fuel cell technology to work. We have not disclosed timing, names or shared any other details, so any articles reporting more are purely speculative."

Reactions: hogjowl

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Aztec Financial released their hold on hundreds of vans and box trucks several weeks ago. They may not be cheap, but they're available. Also, the time to order a new van is early April. You'll get it by September. Order too late and the entire annual run will be sold to people like Aztec, and then you'll have to pay a premium to get one.

Never believe a car salesman, only a fleet manager. Most car salesmen's in-depth knowledge begins and ends with "the headlights are in front."

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Engineers love hydraulics.

Didn't go well for Steamway, as leaks and pressure line failures made the units both annoying and dangerous. Prochem thought they could fix the issues with different connectors and shielding to run the lines through. They couldn't .

Add to that a difficult and time consuming installation and Prochem dealers quickly lost interest.

DON MUDGE

Name
Donald Mudge
there were plenty of 2022 GMC and Chevy vans last time I checked BUT none had sliding door
Chevy and GMC have not redesigned in 19 years yet are still competing with Dodge and Ford redesigns. Chevy does a lot of fleet sales.

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
Then the switch to EV will happen.....and you will see electric or electric/hydraulic powered auxiliary systems instead of traditional pto

overall I'd say with current progression in battery storage/cost about 10 years at most....but not 3

Batteries are not processors. Moore's Law does not apply. We will never see fully electric.

FredC

Village Idiot
Batteries are not processors. Moore's Law does not apply.

No they aren't and it doesn't.

At the same time we have seen steady progress with no reason to think it will slow within the next decade and that is just with "current technologies" and chemistry. Then there is also the price ratio as noted. Parity will be reached soon and batteries should continue to get cheaper.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I suspect Aerotech monitors this board
What’s your point on that comment?

I literally talked to them less than a month ago when I was frustrated on both of my rigs being down. I was having sensor issues with the ‘02 van and I was getting the oil seal replaced on the Everest blower. Out of frustration of constantly servicing used shit, I called them wondering about buying a brand new setup if I could sell both of mine.

That’s when they told me the bad news

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
No they aren't and it doesn't.

At the same time we have seen steady progress with no reason to think it will slow within the next decade and that is just with "current technologies" and chemistry. Then there is also the price ratio as noted. Parity will be reached soon and batteries should continue to get cheaper.
By parity do you mean cost effectiveness of buying and operating an electric vs fossil fuel vehicle?

If so, I don't think we will see that outside of massive subsidies and/or market manipulation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom