Newb with questions....and more question

SuperUser

I have been cleaning carpet for about 6 months now and until reading this forum, thought I new how to clean carpets. I am cleaning the way I was trained but have never heard of rinsing carpets to give a neutral PH and am just extracting my pre-spray(TLC) with plain old hot water(about 180-200 degrees). Carpets are definitely cleaner but I always have a tough time with traffic patterns. Would mixing a detergent in with the hot water when extracting solve this problem? I use Ultra-Dry as a post spotting solution and makes a big difference with loosening up the soil in the carpet. I just want to know if there is a way of getting the carpets looking better. The company I work for has a large list of residential customers that have used us for years. We are also looking to build a commercial cleaning customer base but I don't know the difference between cleaning residential and commercial.

I guess what I really need is a free resource that will give me the basics of carpet cleaning, and answer questions like below:

What is an emulsifier and what does it do?
What techniques should be used when cleaning different carpet types?
Is there an easy way to tell the difference between Polypropylene carpets and Olefin?
Is a rotary necessary for every job?
What special precautions and steps need to be taken when cleaning wool carpets(We have a lot of high-end customers)?
Does Cotton needed to be dried special?
I have been drying carpet with centrifugal fair movers. Would Axial air movers work well or is a carpet fan the best option?

So are there any links that someone would recommend so I can advance my understanding and quality of work?

Thanks,

SuperUser

TimP

First thing I suggest is taking a CCT course to get some basics. Not necesarily for the certification but it helps you get a broad over view of things.

SuperUser said:
I have been cleaning carpet for about 6 months now and until reading this forum, thought I new how to clean carpets. I am cleaning the way I was trained but have never heard of rinsing carpets to give a neutral PH and am just extracting my pre-spray(TLC) with plain old hot water(about 180-200 degrees). Carpets are definitely cleaner but I always have a tough time with traffic patterns. Would mixing a detergent in with the hot water when extracting solve this problem? I use Ultra-Dry as a post spotting solution and makes a big difference with loosening up the soil in the carpet. I just want to know if there is a way of getting the carpets looking better. The company I work for has a large list of residential customers that have used us for years. After reading this forum I have to wonder if we are getting their carpets as clean as possible or if they just don't know any better. We are also looking to build a commercial cleaning customer base but I don't know the difference between cleaning residential and commercial.

I guess what I really need is a free resource that will give me the basics of carpet cleaning, and answer questions like below:

What is an emulsifier and what does it do?

An emulsifier is a detergent (used for rinsing, typically in a 5 gal mix tank metered 3-4 gph or as recommended for portys) that basically softens your water, it has wetting agents (called surfactants) that allow things to move or slip more freely. I suggest using emulsifiers as it makes sense....they help clean. And if used properly don't cause resoil

What techniques should be used when cleaning different carpet types?
At first I would use stronger detergents on olefins carpet and what I assumed to be polyester carpets, due to them being more difficuilt to clean. But since using Judson O2 and emulsifier I pretty well just use it, and up the dilution ratio or add hot sauce booster based on appearance of the carpet (heavily soiled gets stronger dilution and more of it too)

Is there an easy way to tell the difference between Polypropylene carpets and Olefin?
They are one in the same, just different names

Is a rotary necessary for every job?
Absolutely not, only in heavily soiled carpet.

What special precautions and steps need to be taken when cleaning wool carpets(We have a lot of high-end customers)?
I believe IICRC states to clean under 10Ph with unbuffered TLC'ers and then Acid rinse to preferably leave wool at a PH of around 4

Does Cotton needed to be dried special?
No but it's best to acid rinse it to keep it from browning, in my opinion.

I have been drying carpet with centrifugal fair movers. Would Axial air movers work well or is a carpet fan the best option?
From what I understand, not from experience, the Dri-eaz Airpath is the best fan for quick drying of carpet. Centrifugal are good for halls. Also the addition to a wand with an angle jet manifold and holed glide and good blower makes a siginificant improvement to where most carpet will dry in 4 hours or less even in Florida with AC and cieling fans

So are there any links that someone would recommend so I can advance my understanding and quality of work?
Best thing to do is to search this board, get some formal training and at least ask questions

Thanks,

SuperUser

SuperUser

Thanks for the quick responses. I suppose I really should take the CCT course. That would probably answer most my questions.
Until then, I guess I will be doing what I have always been doing. Seems to be working for me since I don't get any complaints. I'll also keep reading up on the forums here.

On a side note...Is anyone here familiar with the product Ultra-Dry, made by ChemMax? I use it just about every job but wanted to know what this experienced group thinks about it.

Sam

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
tim great answers..only one i believe has another thought with it is the wool question..

I believe IICRC states to clean under 10Ph with unbuffered TLC'ers and then Acid rinse to preferably leave wool at a PH of around 4

i think the newest way of thinking for the iicrc is anything that says it is wool safe on the label is ok to use no matter the ph.
i hope i am not wrong but that is the understanding that i have..

i am going to print out your answers and quiz my guys tomorrow just for the hell of it..
dave

TimP

Wool safe would be an easier way to make sure especially for multi truck guys. The chemical companies have to spend money to get the testing and the logo. It doesn't mean other chemicals aren't safe. I'm sure the standards will change, and It's been a while since I've been in a class to hear the new "in" way of cleaning wool. It's best to talk with the wool guys in Austrailia and New Zealand to get the ins and outs with wool. I use Judson O2 on wool and acid rinse.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Besides a thorough dry vacuuming,

add in agitation of your prespray in those high traffic areas, manually with a grooming "brush", not a grandi groomer (those teeth don't do a hec of a lot), or some use a rotary 175, or a Whittaker, Procaps, or a Sebo.
You'll find they will clean up very nicely.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom