Newbie - Looking fo Advice

manonthemon

Greetings all, I enjoy your website.

I am seriously considering starting a carpet cleaning business. I'm currently employed in the computer business but it's not looking too good for the future...ya I know I'm sure you are thinking the same thing...

Anyhow I've always wanted to be my own boss. I hustle and I'm not afraid to work. I'm not loookingto get rich, I want to make a living and that's it. My wife carries the benefits so all I need is the cash. I've been researching this for probably 6 months and came across this site recently and thought hey why not ask the experts. I'm hoping you can provide me some pointers. I

1 - When starting out would you purchase a truck mount or a good portable unit
2 - If you purchased a portable, would you purchase a 2 or 3 stage and with/without heat?
3 - I'm looking to buy good equipment looking for thoughts on the Rotovac PowerWand vs Rx20 vs a few other's I've seen on this ie
4 - What is a Grasshopper Wand and does it have benefits over a power wand system?
6 - Chemicals - Lots to choose from...what's a good supplier and what's necessary to ge started for most jobs?
7 - If I hustle meaning deliverng flyers, newspapers, adds at super markets, etc. How tough is it to get started? I'm not planning on employees, I am going to do the work and plan on doing avery good job.

I'll probabaly think up a few more the I do appreciate your input

Many thanks!

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Dean..yous ain't givin' us too much ta work wit here.......where are you from?
A filled out profile would work for you a lot better......

manonthemon

Hey guys,

I filled in my profile. I'm not sure what you mean fake? Obviously there is something here I don't understand. You can go check out www.zbestcarpetcleaners.com. It's my domain, we'll under my wife's, (I heard registering under a woman might be better off getting SBA loans if needed who knows), name but there's nothing there. I grabbed it because it was $10 to register and available and if I do this that's going to be the name.

I hope that proves I'm not faking, just a newbie with some questions I was hoping the pros could help me out with.

Thanks

TimP

Right now it's tough everywhere. There is no magic bullet and I woldn't say that it's best to get into something you know little about.

If you are really serious and want to get into this business I'd first research and see how many cleaners you have and how many people you have as possible prospects. The economy is doing bad but isn't bad everywhere. However the fact that your current job outlook isn't good means that your probably has been hurt by the economy. May cleaners are going out of business and it's very hard to make it. I've been at it just over 2 years and it's really tough.

Like I said research and think about it before you make the choice. It may be best to do something else for you but I don't know your situation. This is a very good business but there is no guarantee. It's like gambling and only you knows your circumstances. There are plenty.

Anyways as far as equipment I'd get something used at first. If you can get a Truck Mount and skip the portable. The way I see it if you're going to make the plunge and feel you're going to do this for sure you might as well really get into it to make you more apt to get work to make ends meet. But don't get something that's going to bankrupt you, and going to require you to do tons of work to pay for it. I also suggest that you get as educated as possible because education is what's going to set you apart from your competition. 95% of cleaners out there are crap and if you set yourself apart you should do ok. Also don't spend money on yellow pages or at least very very little if you can help it.

manonthemon

Good point about the education and I forgot to ask earlier. Any recommendations. I did some looking on the web and there were a couple of options, seems like carpet basics as 2 day class, rugs was another day or 2, etc. I know there are different certifications etc. Any recommendations?

Thanks for responding.

manonthemon

Rochester MN

I can dish it out pleanty good....you gotta get to know me :twisted: As far as thick skin my Harley's black, fat, and I ride to strugis with no windshield...how about you.

CleanEvo

manonthemon said:
Greetings all, I enjoy your website.

I am seriously considering starting a carpet cleaning business. I'm currently employed in the computer business but it's not looking too good for the future...ya I know I'm sure you are thinking the same thing...

Anyhow I've always wanted to be my own boss. I hustle and I'm not afraid to work. I'm not loookingto get rich, I want to make a living and that's it. My wife carries the benefits so all I need is the cash. I've been researching this for probably 6 months and came across this site recently and thought hey why not ask the experts. I'm hoping you can provide me some pointers. I

1 - When starting out would you purchase a truck mount or a good portable unit
2 - If you purchased a portable, would you purchase a 2 or 3 stage and with/without heat?
3 - I'm looking to buy good equipment looking for thoughts on the Rotovac PowerWand vs Rx20 vs a few other's I've seen on this ie
4 - What is a Grasshopper Wand and does it have benefits over a power wand system?
6 - Chemicals - Lots to choose from...what's a good supplier and what's necessary to ge started for most jobs?
7 - If I hustle meaning deliverng flyers, newspapers, adds at super markets, etc. How tough is it to get started? I'm not planning on employees, I am going to do the work and plan on doing avery good job.

I'll probabaly think up a few more the I do appreciate your input

Many thanks!

First off, make up a business plan, know your competition and try to have some people in line to start referring you work right away.

1. Truck mount if you can afford it, it sets you up as a pro from day one. ( Ididn't start with one and am succesful, but if I did it again I would start with one, I would have been succesful faster).
3. Don't waste your money, get a Green Glide instead. You don't ned a rotary to start out with, wait until you have the business to justify it.
6.Prochem, Releasit and Judson Juice is what I use, but there's lots to choose from. What can you get local? Shipping chems is expensive.
7. You will have to hustle. I used post cards a lot when first starting, now it's just YP and referals. Talk to everyone you know. When you're first starting, the trick is to get out there cleaning, even if your doing cheap jobs for people you know. Then ask for referals, then ask for referals again and again.

Take the IICRC carpet cleaning class.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Well I's don'ts see a filled out profile.........................does you?

:shock:

manonthemon

Looking at your photo, I had you pegged as a tree hugger '-)

Thanks for those who have posted comments....good stuff great site.

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
For education, i would attend carpet cleaning, then upholstery cleaning, then perhaps a ride along, or many ride alongs with other cleaners to round out what you learned in school before your first paying job.IMHO

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
why a carpet cleaner?

why not a painter

or roofer

or drywall finisher

the investment in tools is so much le$$

The chances of success or failure will be no different.
One is no easier or harder to be successful at
Cause it will be all you that makes it or breaks it regardless

..L.T.A.

RandyHilburn

Depending on how you're capitalized:
1. Buy a used van. Lots of good deals on used vans in good condition. If you can afford, buy a one ton, extended van, with a V8. However, a regular size, three quarter ton with a 6 cylinder will actually work
2. Buy a new truck mount with a warranty (45 blower, 20 HP Motor, 2500 psi pump). Everything else is a 'pissing contest' that a newbee should avoid. You don't have to spend huge sums of money to get new equipment that will give you an excellent ROI. Kohler and Honda both make excellent small motors. Most suppliers will give you hose and wand with your new truck mount purchase.
3. It is also unnecessary to worry about specialty wands until you get some experience.
4. Negotiate training from the person who sells you your equipment or ask someone on the board if you could work for them for several days (in exchange for OJT). You may have to travel, because not many are interested in training future competition.
5. Don't spend a bunch of money on chemicals, you can get started for $100 and have everthing you need.
6. There is good money in restoration, so buy a medium size water claw and two three centrifugal fans.

Just one man's opinion, but the vultures will soon appear!

TimP

RandyHilburn said:
Depending on how you're capitalized:
1. Buy a used van. Lots of good deals on used vans in good condition. If you can afford, buy a one ton, extended van, with a V8. However, a regular size, three quarter ton with a 6 cylinder will actually work

I agree

2. Buy a new truck mount with a warranty (45 blower, 20 HP Motor, 2500 psi pump). Everything else is a 'pissing contest' that a newbee should avoid. You don't have to spend huge sums of money to get new equipment that will give you an excellent ROI. Kohler and Honda both make excellent small motors. Most suppliers will give you hose and wand with your new truck mount purchase.

I fairly agree....although I feel you can find a decent used machine but this may be easier for a newbie to buy new....I'd suggest a judson or tcs or a doodaddy machine to start with if you go new

3. It is also unnecessary to worry about specialty wands until you get some experience.

I think a good wand makes a huge difference but no need for a RX-20 or rotovac thing.

4. Negotiate training from the person who sells you your equipment or ask someone on the board if you could work for them for several days (in exchange for OJT). You may have to travel, because not many are interested in training future competition.

A new machine often includes a free class...however a good formal class is always good to have other than just a ride a long....who is to say the person you ride a long is a decent cleaner???

5. Don't spend a bunch of money on chemicals, you can get started for $100 and have everthing you need.

I don't believe 100 in chemicals is all you need.....but for well less than 500 (if buying a new TM they usually give you that much) I spend well over 100 when getting spotting stuff when I run out. Don't forget tabs and blocks, sprayers etc....it adds up quick!

6. There is good money in restoration, so buy a medium size water claw and two three centrifugal fans.

I don't agree with this at all.....never think you're a restoration expert with the above equpiment. You're asking for a lawsuit.

Just one man's opinion, but the vultures will soon appear!

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
Welcome!

I was born and raised in Sturgis. Do you go every year?

I hope your not too stuck on your name. Branding your company is very important. It's not that Zbest is a bad name, but it's so common and predictable.

Go for something that invokes an emotional connection that will prompt that person to look for more info or call you. Remember, your largest demographic is women so brainstorm out a few name ideas and run them by a few women. Us guys think to much like guys. We might like Dirt Squashers, but it probably will give the lady of the house a wrong mental image.

Just my two cents so take it for what it's worth.

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
manonthemon said:
Rochester MN

I can dish it out pleanty good....you gotta get to know me :twisted: As far as thick skin my Harley's black, fat, and I ride to strugis with no windshield...how about you.

Welcome! Next time you are in Sturgis, give me a call! I live in Spearfish and love the Rally!! You have to have a sense of humor around here as well as thick skin. :mrgreen:

Jimbo

So I was at a bar a couple of summers back...some gangsters come up in their boat...one of them was with Barry in Federal lockup...he asks if I ever heard of Minkow...yeah I heard about him...Mr J says he got a degree in prison..I think it was astrology he says...No...I'm sure it was Theology...oh well...we drank to him anyway!

This poster is as fake as they get...loose him...anyone who would say zbest is not telling the whole truth.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
Before YOU Buy Anything:

Take a look around you to see how much, what kind of competition is in your area. How do you plan to be different from the others?

If you don't have your carpets cleaned, call the best local cleaner and have him clean your carpets and pay attention- see if you really want to do this for a living.

Take a look at your relationships. Do you have alot of friends/relatives/associates that will help you get started by letting you clean for them and referring you to other people? Do you belong to any clubs, groups, etc. that will be a referral source?

Before you buy anything, develop a thorough business plan.

Before you buy anything, read some marketing books and think about your USP, how you plan on being different from your other local cleaners.

Before you buy anything, develop a budget that gives you plenty of money for marketing materials, don't spend all your money on equipment and have no way to get customers.

Don't buy any equipment, chemicals, anything else until you know what you want, what to do with it, and how you are going to sell it to your customers.

Then come back and ask what to buy.

steve r

he paints a pretty picture of himself.sounds like a guy who would be welcomed into any home.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

have you ever cleaned carpet before?if not maybe try it first for someone else.its not for everyone thats for sure.

you think the computer business is tough oh boyyy.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Dean;

As Chris mentioned, you need to survey the business environment in your location.

Marketing is the key to achieving success in carpet cleaning.

The equipment and technique can be learned with a little training.

Larry

Farenheit251

Just realize that you are opening a sales and marketing business. You can't be a cleaning business until you build a customer base. That is why I like Larry's question about why cleaning instead of another trade-in the begiinging they are all the same selling yourself.
I don't think you will have much success with the ideas you mentioned. In fact there is little marketing that will turn a good ROI. It is quite simple really. If yellow pages or mail outs were really profitable everyone would do more of them.
You need to be able to hustle work with minimal expense. Anytime you can meet someone face to face I figure that is at least 25 times better than a printed ad. Actually one of the best stories I read on here was about a guy who built a business by handing out 50 or 100 business cards every day.
Just make sure you realize you are applying for a job as a salesman and you are not going to have a boss or a coach to motivate you. I had fear of being hungry and homeless to motivate me. This time when I restarted I had an understanding wife with benefits and a steady paycheck and I know it held me back.

Back
Top Bottom