Newbie needs help

auburncc

Ok,

Just want to introduce my self. I found this forum the other night and have spent many hours reading and learning about carpet cleaning. I currently have a lawn service and have been approached about selling it. If i sell it i will not have a job. I have a friend that currently have carpet cleaning franchise that he isnt working. He wants to sell it to me. I have a ton of questions. its not a steam cleaner. In my lawn business i specialize in just maintaining multi family properties. I have about 20 to 30 managers that i currently work for. I have told them i am thinking about getting a carpet cleaning machine and most of them told me they would give me some apts to clean to see how i do and if i do go for the right price i can have there business. I have lots of questions.

thanks

Name
Lee Stockwell
I know they often feel price is most important, but you need to steer them otherwise.

The managers know YOU, and you hope they admire your work ethic and business sense. Build on that because that is critical long term.

You've come to a great place to get real help.

Thanks,
Lee

auburncc

thanks. what about buying this franchise? it comes with a van and a buffer machine. no hot water just chems. lets hear steam vs dry?

thanks

Ryan

Hot water extraction initially, supplemented by other methods as your business expands.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Why not just say the name of the franchise? What's the big secret?

I think most here will agree with me- stay away from a franchise.

Get yourself EDUCATED first and foremost. Buy yourself some used equipment, preferably a decent truckmount.

And what was mentioned before- do a ride along with someone that is a real pro and not some hack.

Better yet- since you said you will have no job if you sell your landscaping stuff- get a job as a carpet cleaning tech at an established company.

You will figure it out quick if you even want to do this for a living....

(Try not to become a hack...I recently talked to a few carpet cleaners, and they say they have been doing this for years....couldn't tell me what neutral Ph level is....couldn't tell me anything about carpet except that they were told to use this prespray and that emulsifier on all the jobs. They carry two different jugs on the van, and of course they have no idea what pre vacuuming is)

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
let me give an analogy you may be able identify with...

trying to bonnet (how the "buffer" is used) clean apts would be akin to trying to brush hog a field with a 20" MTD push mower.

..L.T.A.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Before we answer any more of your questions we need to know.......................

Where are you located? It makes a difference cause if your in our area, we aint gonna tell you nutin!:)

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
I too came from the lawn business and chimney cleaning business. If I were you I would keep the lawn business going and slowly cut it back as your carpet cleaning business grows because it takes a few years to build it big enough to support you.

I would skip the franchise and build your own business after getting some good training through some classes at local distributors. I highly recommend doing it as debt free as possible. Those payments are tough in Feb. and March.

Good luck!

auburncc

hey guys thanks for all the help so far.

its a heavens best franchise. the only reason i would buy it is because its available to me. the whole set up and i could go to work tomorrow.

plus i would have the heavens best to help me if i needed something.

i just want to make sure that the buffing system is the way to go???

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Neil,
I wouldn't buy a franchise ever again..I owned a few Chem-Drys and Heavens best is just a rip off of that.

If I was you, I would buy a really good portable, (ask these guys which one) take a class or talk to some of the cleaners here, practice at your house and then go from there.

Once you figure out if you really want to do this kind of work, you can later upgrade to a Truck Mounted unit.

There is plenty more I can tell you.

auburncc

ok what is a good portable? oh i am located in auburn alabama. why not the franchise? the dry method seems like a good idea for me. the guy selling it said i could use it for a couple of jobs so i can get the hang of it. one apt manager just fired his carpet guy and said i could have 40 apts to clean by the end of the month.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Dry cleaning has it's place...but apt cleaning isn't one of them.

I would focus on commercial buildings if you're going that route.

Connor?

auburncc

heres the problem i dont know how the equipment works the present owner and the tec that was working for him said they will teach me everything. how do you bid? so the dry method wont touch the stains in apts?

Billy

Name
BH
You really should do more research before buying a franchise belonging to someone not really working it IMO.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
auburncc said:
so the dry method wont touch the stains in apts?

dude, seriously, if the apt mangr promised you 40 apts a month, they have a high turnover rate...which more than likely means the carpets will be TRASHED.

bonnet cleaning ("buffing" as you call it) won't cut it on heavy soil.
anyone that tells you different, don't know sheet from shine-ola ..and you can tell 'em i said so

and if the apt mangr "really' has 40 turnovers a month (and he's likely blowing smoke up your azz anyway to get a cheap price) he's likely expecting the rags cleaned for CHEAP...like $40 bucks for a 2 bd rm apt

..L.T.A.

C

cucu

hey bud i sent you a pm ..dont know if you know bout them ...but i have been doing apts for 15 years if you call me i,ll tell as much as i can about them and what you need....., and just a buffer aint gonna cut it

510 734 6756

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
meAt said:
auburncc said:
so the dry method wont touch the stains in apts?

dude, seriously, if the apt mangr promised you 40 apts a month, they have a high turnover rate...which more than likely means the carpets will be TRASHED.

bonnet cleaning ("buffing" as you call it) won't cut it on heavy soil.
anyone that tells you different, don't know sheet from shine-ola ..and you can tell 'em i said so

and if the apt mangr "really' has 40 turnovers a month (and he's likely blowing smoke up your azz anyway to get a cheap price) he's likely expecting the rags cleaned for CHEAP...like $40 bucks for a 2 bd rm apt

..L.T.A.
and THEN....
HE WON'T PAY YOU!!!

Dolly

Please...dear God......run...run........and don't turn your head looking for who is chasing you dude.

If your interested in carpet cleaning.......go slow and hang onto your lawn business while your building your
carpet cleaning business.

I can and will if your interested in helping you with cleaning equipment that will help you inexpensively and
you will be better off being your own business with NO>>NO>>>>>>franchise attachments. You really don't want to go there.

210-380-0732........

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Dolly is right

You don't "own" a franchise...you just "rent" it until it's profitable for them to take it back from you.

auburncc

there is only 2 years left on the franchise agrement. the only reason i would consider buying is because i could use the equipment and make payments to him for the equipment. the 40 apts are apts that didnt turn over. this is a college town. one time cleaning 90 a piece.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
auburncc said:
this is a college town.

then 5 out of seven units will be severely trashed

Personally, I'm not anti franchise .
They'd never be for "me", but there are some good reasons to buy one.
However, the reason you've given, AIN'T one of 'em

you can get started in this biz for WAY less than the cost of a good zero turn mower.
if your credit sucks that bad you can't stroke a lone for a few thousand, or can't scrape up a few grand, go buy some rollers and paint trays and become a painter.....

..L.T.A.

TimP

I suggest you go take an IICRC CCT class to get your feet wet. In 2 days you'll have basic knowledge that you need to know before investing much money. 250 for a class is better than spending thousands on equipment that you didn't need.

go to iicrc.org and go to the the site for cleaners. If you look around you'll find the class list for dates and locations.

Or you can spend hours here searching through past threads trying to figure out what's going on filtering the BS from reality.

This board is mostly a HWE Hot Water Extraction. HWE is king of cleaning carpet. But we also understand the needs and uses of other methods. BTW knowing what I know now I wouldn't of gotten into carpet cleaning I would of gone another route, or at least I would of started out by not spending as much money.

Ryan

See if you can get Mikey or one of the other mods to open up the gold mine for ya. Its full of golden nuggets of wisdom! lol

auburncc

wish he would chime in. if there is a cheaper way to get into the industry let me know???

thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom