oak staircase clean and seal

Donwand

Supportive Member
Name
Brian
I've only cleaned a handful of hardwood floors over the years and recently I got an email from one of my best customers. She is asking if I can clean her oak staircase.

Are there special tools for wood steps and applying a wax/sealer?
I have only cleaned wood floors but never steps.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Are there special tools for wood steps and applying a wax/sealer?

Clean as normal, Brian. Obviously you can't use a floor machine.:smile:

I generally stay away from topicals on wood, especially WAX!

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Brian, the best tools are on the end of your arms. Use a neutral cleaner and a small, soft brush that can reach into the corners. Use a small wet vac to slurp corners and edges, along with soft microfiber towels to wipe. Rinse often. Be methodical and persistent. Good luck.

mmarkovic

low moisture delivered by hand and using microfiber works best for me. If shine is damaged then you would need to abrade using micro screens, green scotch pads on a square palm sander. Cover entire wood surface you're wanting to re coat and use urethane in desired sheen (matte, Semi or gloss) from Home Depot, Lowes or Menards) If wood color is damaged or worn off you'll need to either entirely re sand (huge job) or just touch up with appropriate shade and color. Complete by applying one to two thin layers of urethane. Apply using paint pad and don't re stroke go fast on each step without messing with it. You'll scab the layer if you over stroke too many times. Urethane is thicker than waxes or other finishes due to high solids it contains. That's why it makes such a durable finish. I like a water borne urethane rather than solvent based. Cleanup is easier and there's very low odor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom