Odor Barrier

I have a big urine damage job next week, and there is no way the customer is going to replace the carpet. We are going all out on this one by replacing the cushion and tack-strips, sealing the subfloor, treating the carpet with UPS and cleaning the top and bottom of carpet, and treating with a bio-enzyme solution. Do I have to use Odor Barrier, or is there a product I can use that is similar?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Ron Werner said:
I heard in a class about pigmented shellac.

that would be Kilz (oil base) and Zinsser BIN, Ron
Both pigmented shellac.

We've used both, Zinsser BIN is better

..L.T.A.

I looked up both products recommended and they look easy to use. I asked this question because the Odor Barrier from Jon Don is about 45 dollars for a gallon which is not bad but the shipping was 40 dollars. The odor barrier can be sprayed on and worked around with a push broom. The other products look like they have to be painted on. About how much does the Kilz and BIN cost?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
danielc said:
About how much does the Kilz and BIN cost?

$18-20 bukz a gal, (?) i think

buy a 9" paint roller, screw it onto a push broom stick if you don't have a paint pole.
Buy a cheap roller cover and pitch it when done.

You can buy cheap throw-away paint trays too, but we just pour a little on the floor right out of can, roll it, and pour sum-mo and roll it til the room is done

..L.T.A.

G

You can also apply Bin to the backing of the carpet just like with odor barrier.

Greenie

Damn, meAt beat me to it, none of the guys around here use OB, they all use the shellac.

Get some Quat-a-lot for crying out loud.

Joyce at Judson will send it out asap.

I have never heard of sealing the backing of the carpet. How does this help. Quatalot is a sanitizer and won't that interfere with the bio-enyme treatments?

Mikey P

Administrator
Not the carpet, the FLOOR!

Clean/deo the front and back of the carpet, toss the pad and seal the floor, dry it and reassemble with fresh pad.

Exactly. I was planning on sealing the sub-floor, but someone said you could seal the back of the carpet. Like I said, "I have never heard of that," and has it been done by someone?

G

Mikey P said:
Seal it from what?

Carpet needs to breath.
:lol: Yes Daniel,coat the latex backing with the Bin,not to heavy or it will seep through,let it sit for minute then put it back down.This is after you have cleaned,but try and dry the area as much as possible before applying Bin.This alone just took out half the odor from the top.This takes care of the contamination in the primary and secondary backing.so like I said,use it just like they tell you to use Odor Barrier.

PS- If you are going to use Quat(it would just be more ammo)use it after the UPT,then rinse it out and go with your enzyme, again it will be best to speed dry or come back the next day to seal.

Says here not to use on carpet backing ?
Odor_Barrier_5x10.pdf

So do guy really put it on the backing ?

G

I've done many of these jobs and have attended a few CTI odor classes. They've always told us to apply Odor Barrier to the backing. I did go to the CTI site and noticed on the Odor Barrier section it says in bold-Do not apply to backing or face of carpet. It's been some time since I've used Odor Barrier. Change in formula?

G

I am going to guess that they had alot of problems with people with no common sense,because when it came out way back,that was what it was designed for.So use a paint brush and apply to the back side,I can see where a guy with a spray can could way over do it.This is a salvage job,and what you are doing would be the best they would get.

PS-that is the reason I said to read the OB label and do it that way,I switched to Bin 10-15 years ago,so I guess the label has changed.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
danielc said:
Exactly. I was planning on sealing the sub-floor, but someone said you could seal the back of the carpet. Like I said, "I have never heard of that," and has it been done by someone?

"OdorBlock", my product, does just that. I developed it back in the 1980's when I did carpet care. I applied it to the carpet backing and it sealed everything in. Doing apartments mainly (but some residentials), I did between 2 and 5 a week, for years and had better than 90% success on the first try.

Originally named "EZG.O.C." (Easy Guaranteed Odor Control), when I first started selling it, I quit making it when I invented PeeBeGone, but customers called and wanted some, so I put it back in production as, "OdorBlock".

Works on carpet backing, carpet fibers and sub floors. Also seals certain types of carpet padding.

It's not the "most thorough" way to do pet odor work, because it doesn't remove the source of the odor. Great for rental units. But in a "full price" residential setting, I'd recommend against using it for the carpet in particular.

$26 a gallon mixes 1 to 3

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom