Of all the gossip about the new vans out there

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Could you see a multi million $ franchise rug sucking company slapping their logo on one of these with a Hydramaster electro CDS?

Reactions: Mikey P

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Could you see a multi million $ franchise rug sucking company slapping their logo on one of these with a Hydramaster electro CDS?

It can be done but right now the battery packs would be too large. Don't forget you have to heat the water somehow, that takes a ton of electric energy. If powered by a hydrogen fuel cell, now you're talking.

CJ-FL

Name
CK-FL
It can be done but right now the battery packs would be too large. Don't forget you have to heat the water somehow, that takes a ton of electric energy. If powered by a hydrogen fuel cell, now you're talking.
I wonder how much driving and cleaning Tesla’s current 100 kWh battery pack could do. The car will travel 370 miles on it. Obviously a loaded van would weight much more thus decreasing range dramatically. On top of that I wonder how much power a cleaning unit would consume. I have to think less than while the van is driving.... maybe 150 miles and 5.0 or 5 hours of cleaning?

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Electric heating coils + blower exhaust
I wonder how much driving and cleaning Tesla’s current 100 kWh battery pack could do. The car will travel 370 miles on it. Obviously a loaded van would weight much more thus decreasing range dramatically. On top of that I wonder how much power a cleaning unit would consume. I have to think less than while the van is driving.... maybe 150 miles and 5.0 or 5 hours of cleaning?
not if it’s a propane engine. I’m assuming they’d be going after environmentally safer setups. Propane is s candidate for the tm

CJ-FL

Name
CK-FL
Electric heating coils + blower exhaust

not if it’s a propane engine. I’m assuming they’d be going after environmentally safer setups. Propane is s candidate for the tm
Why not just an electric motor running pressure, vac and APO? No combustion at all.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Why not just an electric motor running pressure, vac and APO? No combustion at all.
I think that'd be just fine also. Your concerns were battery life, which is why I brought up propane. But if there was a generator operating while the vehicle was in motoin, I guess that could help keep the batteries charged

Reactions: CJ-FL

CJ-FL

Name
CK-FL
When @Mikey P amd @Mark Saiger visited Tampa they saw an all 220 volt electric Steemer setup that is used in the rug pits. Just a 220 electric motor running a roots 56, cat pump, and Jabdco APO. All hooked up to tanks, floats etc... but able run indoors. Just hook something like that to the 100 kWh van battery.

• Wow

CJ-FL

Name
CK-FL
I think that'd be just fine also. Your concerns were battery life, which is why I brought up propane. But if there was a generator operating while the vehicle was in motoin, I guess that could help keep the batteries charged
I just have no clue how much power a cleaning unit like that would draw. I’m sure you it could easily enough be calculated if given the effort but just curious.....

Mikey P

Administrator

Got to admit, it would look menacing in a Steemer wrap

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
When @Mikey P amd @Mark Saiger visited Tampa they saw an all 220 volt electric Steemer setup that is used in the rug pits. Just a 220 electric motor running a roots 56, cat pump, and Jabdco APO. All hooked up to tanks, floats etc... but able run indoors. Just hook something like that to the 100 kWh van battery.
A subsidiary of Ballard Power called Plug Power is installing hydrogen fuel cells as stock replacements for battery powered forklifts. They are all electric and when they run out of hydrogen, there is a refueling station at the back of the warehouse. If a fuel cell can power a forklift all day, it can also power a truck mount. Right now, the infrastructure is the problem. It's coming, but slowly. It may take a Stanley Steemer sized company to change things. Hydrogen can be used in a similar manner as propane or natural gas with the same inherent risks.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I don’t see these vans going outside the city limits of New York or Atlanta. They don’t look very friendly to rough roads and driveways.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
The GM full frame platform isn't going away that fast.

They are selling so well still can be back orders on them I have been told.

Those womdering about what will Butler do... It won't be a slide in... And they are not just sitting around waiting.

But even though the gvw on a one ton GM reads 9800 pounds... It can still carry 20,000 pounds... But you're not gonna do that truly with the new ero vans

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
As far as performance goes, the electric vehicles boast a range of more than 150 miles

big wup

it's a niche use truck at this point

..L.T.A.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
As far as performance goes, the electric vehicles boast a range of more than 150 miles

big wup

it's a niche use truck at this point

..L.T.A.
Range is just a guess at best. Can you imagine being stuck in traffic on a cold winter day, with the heater, windshield, lights, on and draining the battery.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Range is just a guess at best.

the way it was worded, I gathered the company "boasted" the range to the article's author

and that's likely a "best case" scenario they're "boasting" about

to be viable in the com market, there'd have to be battery quick changing stations

similar to the big manufacturing shops that use electric forklifts.
they don't plug in the forklift at night.
you drive to battery change area where hundreds of batteries are on charge

depending on the line(s) I was handling, I'd go thru two batteries a shift at Chrysler

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Cleanworks

The Great Oz

Name
bryan

So you won't have to visit the crappy Post site.

Does that back flip down like a mailbox? That'd be handy.

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
Cool looking, but it has the aerodynamic wind cutting efficiency of a brick.

When the batteries wear out in 5 years, it will be cheaper to replace the truck than the batteries.

The braintrust still has cold weather operations to work out for battery powered vehicles. Up to a 40% power storage loss for us Northerners.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom