Offers of food or drink …

aaronjumps

Name
Aaron Brown
Last week I was in the home of a very affluent, recently widowed 80 year old widow who is a first time client referred to me by another client.

It feels like she is just as interested in company for a brief time as she is in getting the pet urine soaked pad replaced under a 11x13 needle point rug she has in one of the rooms.

I went in the kitchen to ask a question and she was making breakfast, and offered to make me a burrito. I said “no thank you” but she said “I have all the stuff out and it is no problem.”

Normally I refuse food or drink offers but for some reason took her up on it, thinking this client was just as interested in companionship as she was in the work that I was doing for her.

One of the things going through my mind was a portion of Mikeys interview on the Keep it Clean podcast about spending time with them during the first visit to a clients house.

It made me wonder if you experienced folks ever accept food or drink a client offers you?

Reactions: SamIam
Name
Nate W.
Last week I was in the home of a very affluent, recently widowed 80 year old widow who is a first time client referred to me by another client.

It feels like she is just as interested in company for a brief time as she is in getting the pet urine soaked pad replaced under a 11x13 needle point rug she has in one of the rooms.

I went in the kitchen to ask a question and she was making breakfast, and offered to make me a burrito. I said “no thank you” but she said “I have all the stuff out and it is no problem.”

Normally I refuse food or drink offers but for some reason took her up on it, thinking this client was just as interested in companionship as she was in the work that I was doing for her.

One of the things going through my mind was a portion of Mikeys interview on the Keep it Clean podcast about spending time with them during the first visit to a clients house.

It made me wonder if you experienced folks ever accept food or drink a client offers you?

You always accept the food and drinks.. You don't have to eat it in front of them.. I don't eat certain things (especially now) but it's insulting to refuse..

Spending time with customers is really them just needing someone to talk too who'll listen.. In this fast paced society now-a-days people always feel rushed to move on to the next.. Scheduling the time to build the rapport is key..

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
Only thing .
I ever turned down was Tab soda.
Back then dying of thirst no fkn way.
Anything diet.
But always accept an spend some time with clients.
Or else next guy will come along an accept their hospitality.

Name
Nate W.
Nothing beats my mom who said yes she eats fish.. Old lady takes out days old sashimi (basically raw fish and rice).. My mom looks at it, looks at me and I’m Fkn laughing my ass off because the lady wanted my mom to eat it while talking to her.. I said I was full but I could take it home.. :lol: I appreciate the drink..

My mom ate like 2 pieces and said she was good.. Gotta love old ladies, their heart is in the right area but the food might be Giving you years old food.. :dejection:

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
I politely decline except if it is the situation of companionship. Then I may even be late for the next job.

Reactions: aaronjumps

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I never accept. I find it unprofessional. It was a problem with Alex when he was working with me. I had to tell him to stop accepting drinks and food and stop using people's bathrooms. People would offer him drinks and then just give him the cup. The damn cup would be floating around in my van for a week.

I refuse an apple crisp once from a lady and she was still mad about it a year later.

Last edited:
Name
Nate W.
I never accept. I find it unprofessional. It was a problem with Alex when he was working with me. I had to tell him to stop accepting drinks and food and stop using people's bathrooms. People would offer him drinks and then just give him the cup. The damn cu would be floating around in my van for a week.

I refuse an apple crisp once from a lady and she was still mad about it a year later.

Your belly says otherwise.. Who you trying to fool?!?

• Haha
Reactions: Mikey P

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Long ago a new helper was shocked and impressed when we sat down with the customer to enjoy lunch on their patio.
Another time a customer offered to let us fish and swim in their pond. He even offer beer; the helper responded, "Wow, your customers really love you"

sassyotto

Name
Paul
I have a lady that makes me a banana nut bread every appointment.

Over the years I just wanted to do the work - the less talk the better. The last couple years I have made an effort to enter into conversation with everyone. It makes the job much more pleasant.

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
It's important to be careful when accepting this. I know of someone that is a deaf female who was installing a sorenson video phone for the deaf at client home. She was offered water bottle. Apparently it was roofied and she was raped.

I accept first time client offer of food/drink to go. I generally chuck in trash. I only accept food and drink with repeat clients that I trust

Reactions: Papa John

aaronjumps

Name
Aaron Brown
It's important to be careful when accepting this. I know of someone that is a deaf female who was installing a sorenson video phone for the deaf at client home. She was offered water bottle. Apparently it was roofied and she was raped.

I accept first time client offer of food/drink to go. I generally chuck in trash. I only accept food and drink with repeat clients that I trust
That’s fair, but if the 80 YO lady is roofieing me …

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
That’s fair, but if the 80 YO lady is roofieing me …

creepy-old-woman.gif

• Haha
Reactions: aaronjumps

steve_64

I've had some ladies who baked me cookies when I would clean. It was OK at first but as they got older and coudnt clean as much I would just take them with me and give them away.
Drinks I tell everyone I keep water in my van unless they offer something that sounds good at the moment.
I'm in the habit of saying no thank you but get talked into snacks and drinks occasionally still.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
I remember a customer offering some water on a job back in the mid 1980's. After I poured half that glass down my throat, I noticed floaters in the remaining water. That was the last time I ever accepted and consumed anything from a customer. That is unless it was in an un-opened container.

Name
Nate W.
I remember a customer offering some water on a job back in the mid 1980's. After I poured half that glass down my throat, I noticed floaters in the remaining water. That was the last time I ever accepted and consumed anything from a customer. That is unless it was in an un-opened container.

The extra dun cost extra.. :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom