oil leak

Name
jack zerkie
I have a Kohler 20 unit from Cobb it.s a great unit but has a small oil leak or the rear right side behind the starter. The leak is small and none of the lawnmower shops are interested to look at it because of the truckmount. I can,t find the leak so just wondered if any one has some info for me . Thank you jz.

hogjowl

Idiot™
It's a lawn mower engine running in the hot ass environment inside you van. You fix that leak, and another will pop up. Just keep a rag on hand.

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
I had an engine that leaked oil slowly .. it looked like it was coming out near the dipstick. I wiped and followed the flow - I saw a fine mist every 30-60 seconds blow out. It was coming from under the air filter area. I asked someone about it a while ago. Cant remember what he said. I had already bought a new engine so I didnt worry too much about it.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
The Kohler valve cover orings are notorious leakers.
The orings flatten out and dis-form on the rear due to the exhaust heat.

If you replace the orings run two small beads of oil resistant silicone along each side of the oring for added protection.

Ron K

Thank you Larry and all others it was the valve cover gasket. The new gasket was $6.00 and easy to install. Thank you jz.
Jack I have a 20 HP Kohler too. On a Legend. It just leaks, Main Bearing, Valve covers, by the oil filter everywhere. The really good thing about the leaking is you just keep putting fresh oil in it and you don't have to change the oil. I figure I've done 1/4 of the regular oil changes.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
If you get another leak in that area it will be the oil breather. Under the air cleaner. 4 bolts with a special self sealing gasket. It's best to buy a whole new cover and gasket. The bolts strip very easy. After 3 gaskets a new cover and a new tap& die kit from HF I got my to stop. Then my vacuum relief stuck and put the motor under some serious load and it starting leaking again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom