ok bulding my water loss side is coming along what next?

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
Ok Ive been flirting with getting into some light water here and there. Ok so I took the water class a couple years ago. I plan on doing asd this spring at hydro lab in Indiana. I have a basic set of pen/non penetrating meters and a hygrometer. Hope to get a thermal soon. Got a basic work authorization, release from liability, permission for anti microbial, equipment log, daily moisture log, and scope of work drawn up being looked at by my lawyer currently. about 25 airmovers , 5 1200's , a good variety of tools, carpet repair tools and stretcher, doo little trailer for taking demo to the dump and hailing equipment. Medium water claw for now. I have a guy localy with xactamate who is experienced in estimating. I also should have about 4 or 5 lgr's by the first of next year but can rent any other drying equipment from other companies until then including injectadry matts for wood. I also have put water resto and drying on most of our marketing material. Am I good to go am I missing anything to do some small to medium losses or what? I have did water in the past but have always been caught off guard and not prepaired so I want to eaz into it the right way now. whats the next move?

Reactions: BLewis

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
There are never enough tools and do-hickies for WD work. I'd get a zipwall set-up as well.

I once had a guy here tell me that I was crazy for still using 1200s on jobs and that adjusters would get really mad if they knew. I just laughed and continued to submit my invoices and get paid. Still though, LGRs are best if you can get them. The 1200s are convenient for bathrooms, laundry rooms and stuff like that.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I also forgot to mention I have a good relationship with a carpet retailer and pal around with several contractors so I think on most small to medium sized residential losses Im covered. We have a lot of plaster out here was thinking of grabbing an etes from a guy I know who has one used. I had a loss a couple years back that was all plaster and it was pain in the rear to dry. Im really a carpet and floor cleaner by nature. However it gets boring at times unless Im cleaning a massive commercial space our doing a large strip and wax job and making some money. Plus I really feel like to support a staff and pay them decent I will have to dabble into some water. I get about 5-10 losses per year that go to insurance claims but now that the service master we used to refer them to is closed I would like to take a stab at them. I remember six months ago as a matter of fact sending them what I would estimate being at least a $20k job. Would be nice to keep some of those in house. On the down side I think the owner is still waiting to get paid from that job:eekk:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I don't like the 1200's but yes you can use them and in most cases you will be fine.

Next, I'd setup a van as your on call vehicle and have it ready to go when every you get a call.

Sure you can use it as a carpet truck but it's primary function would be for WDR. I know you only did a dozen last year but that was when you were not asking for the work. Now that you are asking for it you need to be prepared for when it comes. Take your backup and organize it with the intent of doing water work out of it. Put in shelves to hold enough equipment to cover you for an average loss, stock it with all the others items you need. This way when the call comes in you just roll, it will cut down on response time plus save you the headache of not having what you need on the job site.

Just as you did with your carpet cleaning business, tell everyone you know what you do. Do it regularly, make a point of speaking about it with centers of influence so they can spread the work. Take pictures of the losses, put them on your website, email them in a e-newletter or e-contact update, post them on Facebook explaining what happened and how you handled it and why. Keep pounding your message, you're planting seeds and someday when it does happen to them, they will call you if you've convinced them you're the one to call.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
If you're drying a walk in closet or a 1500 sqft basement.

Sell all your 1200's before going to do any more flood work.

Buy at least 1-2 LGR 2000's, and another 10 fans.

That's what I would do "next".

Don't worry about etes, injectidry, dessicant, etc. Get the LGR's first.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
Totally disagree with the last post. You can dry a bunch of stuff with 1200s. Roll with what you have and buy LGRs ASAP. Buy equipment every time that you do a WD job. Before you know it you will have a shop full of equipment and you will laugh at the guys that said your shouldn't start with 1200s.

I wonder how much money Chavez made with those old suckers back in the day?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
At the risk of dating myself we only had (12) 1200's BUT back in the day we had (80) Drizair 110's. I think my arms are as long as a monkey from carrying those bad boys. Dried thousands of property's with those guys and I bet a good share of them are still out drying for someone.

It was a solid machine, no pump, you needed a folding stand, then gravity drain into a 20-gallon barrel.

We just never bought many of the 1200's, still only have a dozen of the evolutions, had 40 of the Drizair 2400 before switched over to the Drizair 2000's. Ummm bigger is better, at least that's what she said. :p

Dry with what you own, buy better as you make a little extra cash. Try not to blow everything you make on equipment, keep some for the kitty, spend a little on equipment. If you are in a rapid growth stage, then lease a big package and make payments on it. You have what you need and it's generating the cash flow to make you money as well as the payments.

Back
Top Bottom