Oldest TM I Ever Did See.... Steamway Turbo Cat

Name
George Valliant
This thing is a trip!

Suprisingly, it has a lot of bells and whistles.

I'm guessing early 80's model.

Too bad the oil fired heat exchanger is busted.

The guy want's 1k for it. Probably cost 2k brand new.

steamwayturbocat.jpg

turbocat2.jpg

turbocat.jpg

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
That blower looks pretty big.

I love coming upon older TMS

I saw one in a wrecked rusted-to-bits van in the back of a junkyard, it had a TM, hose reel, STEEL wand... all crumbling apart... owner of the yard dated it at early 70's. Never crushed it, cause a friend had died in it.

Mr.V

looks freakin HUGE

oldest machines I've seen in operation were a couple of big reds

Name
George Valliant
I'm such a dumbass sometimes. Ok, all the time.

I stand corrected. It's a Steamway TURBOMASTER.

Some local guy has it posted on craigslist so i went and checked it out.

The blower looks respectable but I've never heard of a 5HV.

The guy thought he was going to strike it rich in the rug biz but after replacing the fuel pump he discovered the HX was fried. Who knows what all else is wrong with it.

Now, he's trying to unload it for what he's got into it.

Becker

Name
Becker
Oldest one I have ever seen, is the one in my van.

OK, i guess I have seen a few aquacats that where pretty old.

And the Prochem A something or other.,

John Watson

I believe they quit making the Turbo Matic in the late 70's when they came out with the PowerMatic. Yup # 5 blower and no real waste tank. It was a self discharging of waste water machine.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
My Big Red was orig bought in 1980. Seen a lot of refit since then.

If the blower and pump are good, just need an engine to drive it. New water lines, maybe wiring, etc, hoses.
Any bigger pictures to see some detail?

Name
George Valliant
Chris Adkins said:
can that summabitch even fit in a van?

That's the $10,000 question....

The ignition and all user controls are located on the front panel but the water inlet, vacuum inlet, high pressure connect, auto-pumpout, blower exhaust and most importantly the flame thrower all point out the back of the unit. So, how in the heck are you supposed to mount it in a van? Then toss in a 5 gallon marine tank (for the kerosene) and a couple of hose reels. There ain't no way it's going to fit.

This is a trailer mount special for sure.

I have to admit i LOVE the idea of an oil fired unit with a #5 blower. But, how much cfm could a 30 year old blower with a 20hp +/- engine have? Think i would rather have a 1200psi Olypus portable.

R

R W

First TM I worked with was a brand new Turbo-Matic. We mounted it with the waste tank facing the rear doors. The panel was inside the van, so ya had to climb in to start. The waste tank was round and held maybe 25 gallons. It had a unique pumpout system that consisted of roller bearings and clear vinyl tubing. You had to change the tubing about every 40-50 hours.

It was a cool TM to work with. It turned heads back then like the Vortex does now.

Greenie

That is a #5 high pressure blower in the (V)ertical position, you know what a 59 and 56 are, think of it as a 53, a very narrow lobe #5, probably didn't make any more CFM than a 36 or 45, but it would hold real high lift, in fact I think I see a KUNKLE valve in the picture as SteamWay was the first to use Kunkles STANDARD on their machines, Probably a 23hp cast iron Kohler on it too.

Did I mention it came Stock with 2.5" hose connection? Ahead of it's time.....or relic?

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
This was the Steam Way Turbo-Matic. I bought my first one in 1978. It was the 23 horsepower Kohler with the number 5 vacuum blower and an automatic pump out. It came standard with two and a half inch vac hose. The fuel oil burner is the same as I have on my Powermatic today.

If you want to see a coupe pictures of it in my snazzy van, go to: http://www.northlandakitas.com/delta/rochester.htm

Name
George Valliant
Loren Egland said:
This was the Steam Way Turbo-Matic. I bought my first one in 1978. It was the 23 horsepower Kohler with the number 5 vacuum blower and an automatic pump out. It came standard with two and a half inch vac hose. The fuel oil burner is the same as I have on my Powermatic today.

If you want to see a coupe pictures of it in my snazzy van, go to: http://www.northlandakitas.com/delta/rochester.htm

So that's what it looks like in a van... Cool!!!

Are parts for it hard to come by?

I wouldn't mind having one.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I was just remembering an old hydraulic unit that used to be in Victoria. I forget the specs and the make, but it looked as old as my big red. He sold his busn for 12K and moved to Calgary (took his truck with him) If anyone knows him, Art Franz, he used to own Aquamist.

R

R W

Loren Egland said:

Loren...we also went from the SW 400 model porty (LOUD!!!) to the Turbo-Matic. That drag wand was a real trip!!!

Name
George Valliant
Greenie, What's your honest opinion? Cuz I'm torn.

The guy selling it will take $500 as is. So the price is right.

I'm afraid it will turn into a money pit and after restoration I might not like it.

Heat won't be a problem. But the sticker say "max psi 500".

So, what to do? Take a pass on the Vortex of the 70's. Or, buy it and do a complete frame off restoration?

The frame looks like aluminum so no rust. But, I will need 1000 psi minumum. So everything on the HP side will need to be replummed. Including a new pump. Then you start running into mounting issues.

The vacuum side will need a complete overhaul as well cuz there are about 3 90 degree bends of copper pipe w/ Restrictions. Might as well chuck the blower in favor of a modern day 4.5 or 4.7.

Then you have to start eyeballing the engine. What size and more mounting headaches.

Then, that old fashion waste tank and APO will need to be scrapped in favor of modern day mini w/ APO. More mounting issues.

After all that you still have to dress her up w/ some aluminum diamond plate skirting to make her look pretty.

Not sure if I'm the man for the job.

After all that will I even been satisfied w/ the performance?

Maybe it should be parted out.

Btw, yes it does have a Kunkle valve.

C

Chris Sheldon

George, I saw that one on Craigslist here in ABQ! So I guess the guy got it up and running!

It looks so friggin' big, it doesn't seem like it would even fit into a van. ha ha

-Chris

Greenie

Yea, you nailed it George, it's a gnats ass from being a basket case, Either you want a project or you don't, it's gotta be a fun thing or just take a pass.

The heater not working is a turn off, cause I wouldn't want to put a new one into it.

R

R W

Greenie said:
Yea, you nailed it George, it's a gnats ass from being a basket case, Either you want a project or you don't, it's gotta be a fun thing or just take a pass.

The heater not working is a turn off, cause I wouldn't want to put a new one into it.

Heater not working could be a simple flow sensor. It is the standard fuel oil burner set up.....uses a small kero pump connected to the squirrel cage of the blower fan shaft. If it sat for a while, then the nozzle could be plugged, or air in the line will keep it from working. As long as it's not leaking solution from the steel burner coils.

Greenie

So....what is up with that 500psi sticker on a Steel pipe coil?

I think the coil is suspicious, and it could be a lot more than a flow switch.

R

R W

Greenie said:
So....what is up with that 500psi sticker on a Steel pipe coil?

I think the coil is suspicious, and it could be a lot more than a flow switch.

I think the 500 psi limit was due to the ancient regulator system that the Turbo used.....unlike todays unloader systems. If you had to adjust the psi on a Turbo, you had to do it in 50 psi increments, working your way up to 500. My '92 Powermatic used a regulator system that was adjusted the same way, but it has a high/low rate valve, and a system for upholstery pressures.

Nothing like an infinitely adjustable unloader system.

Name
George Valliant
Did I mention the heater coil froze and burst in several places? The relplacement part alone is over $1000.

Sort of a deal buster if you ask me.

What do you guys think?

Is this machine worth salvaging or should it be parted out?

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I think you would be better off with an older Powermatic. It is a much better design and more user friendly. It also seems to have as much or more suck than the Turbomatic. Plus you have a larger waste tank instead of having to depend on the pumpout all the time. All your controls and hook ups are on one end of the machine instead of both front and back. The generator is buried in the machine frame and if it ever needs replacing or work on it, much more time consuming than the Powermatic that has a generator easy to get to. Powermatic is better looking when you open the doors too, although from the other end of the Turbomatic is pretty awesome looking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom