On call pay and bonuses

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
Do you guys pay on call pay and closing bonuses of any sort?

If so, do you care to share what it is?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yes.
On Call Bonuses are paid for any after hours or weekend work. This is on top of their Overtime & Doubletime.

On Call Bonus for each loss their are called out on.
Lead $35.00
Assistant $25.00

Backup (When not on call)
Lead $65.00
Assistant $45.00

We also pay what we call a CAT bonus to the On Call crew, just for being On Call that week. $25.00 Lead, Assistant $20.00

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
We had a pretty cool on call schedule. There was always Team 1, Team 2, and Team 3, and Team 4 and then the rest were on stand-by. Team 1 was the first to be called out during the day from 8:00 AM-8:00 PM and then Team 2, Team 3, and then Team 4. After 8PM - Team 4 and Team 3 were the first to be called out from 8:00 PM - 8:00 AM and then Team 2 and Team 1 followed if needed. We always ran two man crews and the lead would get $50 bonus if we closed the job and the assistant got $25.

If one day we were on Team 1 during the day we switched to Team 4 the following day. It worked well even though we had a total of 8 WDR crews. There were many weeks I made $500-800 just in job closing bonuses on top of regular pay. We also paid different for during business hours or after business hours. We got regular pay during the "day shift" and time and half during after hours shift. Even if it was the first day of the pay period and we got called in after hours it was time and a half. We also got paid from the moment the call came in until we were done prepping in the shop when we got back if we weren't headed out to another one.

All I can say is that company did have a bigger turn over of assistant techs, but all of the leads were there at least 4 years even when I came on. The company was also only 6-7 years old at the time as well. I would contribute the success and growth of the company to taking care of their techs. Even though we were paid well the company had very high expectations and they would do daily checks of the vans.

Here is the catch, if the van wasn't stocked(for any reason other than all of the equipment was out), the waste tank was full, our tear out kits had tools missing, or anything wrong from the check off sheet - we lost the closing bonuses for the day. So there was big motivation in keeping things as they should be. If we left any tools at the job from our tear out kits we had to replace them as well.

From an owner's perspective I thought it was an awesome system that kept accountability and productivity high as well as job closings high too. We had to bid a lot of the jobs too where insurance wasn't covering and we still had 85%+ closing rates across the board.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
Yes.
On Call Bonuses are paid for any after hours or weekend work. This is on top of their Overtime & Doubletime.

On Call Bonus for each loss their are called out on.
Lead $35.00
Assistant $25.00

Backup (When not on call)
Lead $65.00
Assistant $45.00

We also pay what we call a CAT bonus to the On Call crew, just for being On Call that week. $25.00 Lead, Assistant $20.00

Do you pay a bonus just for being on call when no job comes up?

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
10 bucks a day for being on call. Sounds cheap but we only get 1 call every 10 days after hours. If it is a cat 3 or bio hazard job they get a 50.00 per hr bonus for the time they are in the nasty stuff. Just had out biggest bio job ever. Double homicide. 2k sf affected plus the walls. 72 hours of bonus pay. Tough job.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
10 bucks a day for being on call. Sounds cheap but we only get 1 call every 10 days after hours.
Sounds expensive to me. :winky:

We generally a couple a week. Sometimes they get nothing but then other weeks they get slammed. Like Hoody, the guys can double their pay checks and more, when we are going through a rush.

We had 86 wdr losses in 30-days :biggrin: then (3) over the next 14-days :cry:.

Its storming bad as I type this so we maybe busy tonight-tomorrow??? Who knows in this business! :biggrin:

FredC

Village Idiot
The last time I was employed in WDR ('08) my on call pay was:

10% (20% split between 2 men......usually) of mitigation work (edit: and equipment set) performed on jobs that were called in after 5. Before that it was just straight overtime.

That night/weekend...not total invoice...........although most jobs were completed other than monitoring/pick up/relay carpet & pad

Couldn't be just an equipment set (edit: that was 10% split)and paperwork had to be in the dropbox, debris unloaded, and truck clean that night..................or when we returned if we were still working when biz opened next day.

No payment for just being on call........................but there were usually several after hour losses per week

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Its storming bad as I type this so we maybe busy tonight-tomorrow??? Who knows in this business! :biggrin:
We had 7-WDR jobs today, 3-homes, 2-businesses & the lower lever of a sorority 7-dorm rooms, halls and bath rooms. It was a hectic day, we were already busy and then it stormed enough to cause problems.

When it rains it pours! :dejection:

Name
Nate W.
We had 7-WDR jobs today, 3-homes, 2-businesses & the lower lever of a sorority 7-dorm rooms, halls and bath rooms. It was a hectic day, we were already busy and then it stormed enough to cause problems.

And you didn't call me?!?

Pics or it never happened............:lol:

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Greg Cole

Name
Greg

We did a strip club a little over a year ago. Oddly enough: we had 10 guys out for 150 sf of water in the ladies dressing room, bathroom, and part of a hallway. LOL The SOB's called everyone over there without notifying the office.
Even odder that it took 3 hours! lol

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Sounds expensive to me. :winky:

We generally a couple a week. Sometimes they get nothing but then other weeks they get slammed. Like Hoody, the guys can double their pay checks and more, when we are going through a rush.

We had 86 wdr losses in 30-days :biggrin: then (3) over the next 14-days :cry:.

We had 8 come in Saturday. Then not a single one till this morning........ The good news is that our equipment is all clean and the areas rugs are wrapped and ready for delivery......

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We had 3-more this am. A VFW hall that had some roof damage and we are removing wet tiles and insulation along with drying a portion of the dance floor.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The good news is that our equipment is all clean and the areas rugs are wrapped and ready for delivery......
I wish I could say the same. Its a pigpen here. Trucks are a wreck, equipment everywhere, we haven't had a break in a while. water, fire, mold, ducts and carpet cleaning have had us running.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
This is what broke in the last two weeks... No time to repair

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 355

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yea we have a dozen dehumidifiers that need repair, an air scrubber and a few air movers plus a Rover with a pulled cord. Its been a rough patch. :errf:

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
Yea we have a dozen dehumidifiers that need repair, an air scrubber and a few air movers plus a Rover with a pulled cord. Its been a rough patch. :errf:

Do you guys repair your own stuff? I have a pile broke stuff laying around.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom