one more time, how do you par your two man crews

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Of course I am a numbers guy. I can't imagine being in business and not being. And for the record. EVERYTHING on a balance sheet is either black or red. Here's hoping you never see the later... Best of luck

You assume I'm talking before taxs? Lol

That's what I
Meant by commenting on things when you don't know the entire situation.

I was targeting how your so money and numbers driven and seem to have no room for different situations
That's all. Not everything is black and white

Reactions: TomKing

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
I agree to a certain extent but the big picture has to come into play. At least with me it does.

But then you would prob call me stupid for doing the free house cleaning the other day that would have totaled 800$. It hurt but was desperately needed

Some things are much more important than making a buck

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
the helper assistant wants a raise and I'm already into them 30% (or more)

Davis makes 20% and the help makes $15 an hour.
When Davis is on his own he makes 30% and $20 an hour the one day a week he works along side me.

I need to give them a perk to up sell more and not be so concerned about getting home early but twenty somethings ain't as hungry as they/I use to be..

any suggestions would be very appreciated.

This thread really got high jacked.

Mike I realize the cost of living is greater on the coast. I have seen pharma reps start at 50K plus car and extras still have to live with family because of the housing costs.

I can’t see paying less than you do to get good people in your part of the country.

Here is what we do:
Every employee starts at $_____ per hour

They get a $1 raise for every IICRC certification. We want them to have 3 basic classes. We strive to have these classes done in 6-12 months. We pay. If they do not stay with us for 1 year after class they owe us for the class. We are also working toward every tech being WRT. When this is done we make a big deal about the certifications and every ones is hung on the wall in our common office area.

We pre book our work over the phone.

They get 20% of any add on services performed that day.

They get 20% of any services they set up for another date. Things like wood, stone, tile & grout often need to be arranged for a later date. We teach them to get on the phone with the office and set an appointment before they leave.

They get half of first month’s fee for any contract work they get us into

They get 20% of water restoration single man 15% two men. This is the only straight commission we have. We went to this to help with the 20 something’s being incentivized to do the late night and weekend work.

After 1 year they get 5 days vacation, 2 sick days need doctors note, We have a self directed insurance plan, HSA we pay $100 per quarter, 6 paid holidays.

I agree with the 20's wanting to get out by 3:30-4:30 every day. I tell them no mercy Monday - Thursday. Friday we shoot for 4pm. We rarely work Saturdays and only do Restoration on Sundays if needed. We also run our commercial team Monday - Thursday 10 hour shifts.

We bonus at the end of the year based on our profit, length of service and performance.

We do reviews every 6 months.

We can't offer the wages and benefits we do without everyone running hard every week Monday-Thursday.

Keeping everyone off on the weekends has really helped. We did not do this 2 years ago.

When a man tries to mentor and manage his son it is a difficult task. I live with that one every day also. The structure has helped.

Last edited:

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Dave, Not dumb at all.
We donate $10k a year in free services to various charities. $102k in 2009 ( floods of atlanta)
Likewise, I've sponsored more Elementary schools events than I could possibly remember. Community involvement and give backs are important to me. I learned this at an early age (my first year) when i was broke as a joke and dumping every penny back into the business. I pulled up to a McDonalds and ordered like a $5 meal in the drive through (all I had budgeted). Apparently the lady in front of me paid for my meal. Since that moment I have gone out of my way to give back. ( One of the reasons I flew to MF on my own dime and gave the presentation)

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
Holy crap. That means we agree on 2 things lol

And don't think for a second that I don't soak in and analyze every point you make ether. I just master devils advocate and seem to learn and understand more by arguing against someone's point at times to dig deeper in

Thanks for the banter

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
When a man tries to mentor and manage his son it is a difficult task. I live with that one every day also. The structure has helped.
May I say that this board doesn't deserve Tom King? His advice above is priceless.

Steve

PS Sutley never fails to remind all that I'm just a worthless semi-retired old hack from the 80's. (And he may have a point even though I mildly disagree.) But Tom started his business in the midst of a huge recession (2009) AND has prospered while continuing a very lucrative full time job. (Of course, he does have a secret asset named "Karen".) His counsel just might be worth listening to.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
I hang out there once in a while but I prefer sitting here at the adult table. Alot to learn

I tried to post on the rookie forum a post I made here. They have the word mikeysboard blocked. Real adolesent stuff. Blocks it like I dropped the F Bomb XXXXXXXXXX

Kind of like Greg said earlier it is nice to pay it forward.

Reactions: Mikey P

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Dont be trying to lure Tom over the the rookie forum.

I know you sold a whole $900 in blue blocks there last month and all, just saying...
Huh??? (You well KNOW I'm a neutral "equal opportunity shiller"! So don't get your panties all bunched up!)

Steve

PS And I don't think ANY board truly deserves Tom. He really does enjoy giving back.

Reactions: Ken Snow

hogjowl

Idiot™
May I say that this board doesn't deserve Tom King? His advice above is priceless.

Steve

PS Sutley never fails to remind all that I'm just a worthless semi-retired old hack from the 80's. (And he may have a point even though I mildly disagree.) But Tom started his business in the midst of a huge recession (2009) AND has prospered while continuing a very lucrative full time job. (Of course, he does have a secret asset named "Karen".) His counsel just might be worth listening to.

May be Jon-Don needs to hire him.

Reactions: Mikey P
Back
Top Bottom