Oooh, that looks special...

Name
Shawn Forsythe
OK, I had to write this post after having a long conversation with a customer today about product composition differences. This guy was under the impression that Procyon was something unique, because as he put it, "It's a special phosphoric acid that's mildly alkaline" :wink: .

It took me a little time to convince him that the only thing special, is how the salesmen manipulate chemistry terms & definitions into nonsense for purposes of marketing the product as something you should use, or at least try. It's quite common for MSDS sheets to disguise chemical compositions by using obscure synonyms, rather than the common terms. This is done primarily to add a semblance of mystique to what might seem to be a simplistic formulation, or in some cases to outright obscure the formula from those who might seek alternative products with comparable characteristics.

Here is a listing of commonly found product components in their common terminology (in bold), and the MSDS and sales literature obscura below each bolded term.

Sodium Tripolyphosphate (STPP, a common alkaline builder)
sodium salt of triphosphoric acid.
Triphosphoric acid, pentasodium salt :roll:
Sodium Salt – Phosphoric Acid :roll:

Sodium Carbonate (Soda Ash, another alkaline builder)
Carbonic acid disodium salt

Citric Acid
2-Hydroxy-1,2,3-Propanetricarboxylic Acid

Sodium Metasilcate PentaHydrate
Silicic acid, sodium salt
Disodium Trioxosilicate

Isopropyl Alcohol(Rubbing Alcohol)
Dimethyl Carbinol
2-Propanol

Butyl Cellosolve (Butyl)
(2-Butoxy Ethanol)
Ethylene Glycol Monobutyl Ether
Butyl Oxitol

Sodium Percarbonate
Sodium carbonate peroxide

Sodium Perborate
Perboric acid Sodium Salt

Sodium Bisulfite (a reducing agent)
Sulfurous acid, monosodium salt
Monosodium salt of sulfurous acid

Acetic Acid
ethanoic acid
methane carboxylic acid

Sulfamic Acid
Amidosulfonic acid

R

R W

I overlook everything that Ivan boasts about when he talks about Procyon......I use it cause it's easy, simple, and quick.

And for me, it works. A little pricey, but it still works for me.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I remember years ago getting Ivan's propaganda in the mail along with a sample of his powder.

After reading the "space age" lingo I sat back in my chair and began to think that I truly had found the holy grail of carpet cleaning.It was going to be my secret and I would not tell any of the local guys what my secret was.

But after finding out it wasn't all that and a bag a chips. And the fact it was merely a basic powder overhyped I began my quest to annoy every and all carpet cleaners on the internet.

I then went on to hate Joey P, and all the other scumbags who want to sell hard working CC junk and snake oil.

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
Great Post Shawn!

I like to Google the CAS # found after the chem name. It's interesting to see how many different names there are for the same chemical.

Thanks for putting the big ones in a list for us.

R

R W

Sodium Tripolyphosphate (STPP, a common alkaline builder)
sodium salt of triphosphoric acid.
Triphosphoric acid, pentasodium salt
Sodium Salt – Phosphoric Acid

This is, I guess, what makes up Procyon. So...instead of trying to mix up my own batch, I just buy it already mixed, with an MSDS.

I know more than a few of you on this board use it, but just won't admit it.
I just like it, and it always performs for me. For those who dis it, maybe you're just not using it right?

I've got stronger pre-sprays for when they are needed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom