OP/regular floor machines Price differences?

Fred Homan

Why is their such a huge price difference between the oscillating pad machines and the regular floor machines?

Clark

I built floor buffers (175 and 300 rpms) for 6 years. Motors were $75 and the handle and base were $70 for steel and $110 for polished aluminum. Assemble and powder coating about $85 I sold them to distributor for $475 to $550. They sold them for $700 to $1500. Then can the Mexican machine. I can buy these machines 50 at a time for $265. And most parts are made in Mexico or China and assembled here. I will not work that for that kind of pay. It's like cleaning carpet for 2 1/2 cents per sq/ft. OPs are much harder to build. And a lot less volume.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
that wasnt the question clark.....

basicly the oblong pad driver on the bottom costs the extra $$$$$$$

other then that your right they are close to the same machine

Neil

I would think OP machines are more expensive because they have to be more heavy duty due to the greatly increased harmonics/torsion. Also they would need to be balanced.

John G

Neil nailed it, it COSTS a lot more and DOES a lot more.

Get a portable or a V... = in cost?

Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member
Name
Jeff Madsen
Doug,

I don't think John's example is that far off. I know one thing - I wouldn't trade my OP machine for a rotary because the rotary is "cheaper" any more than I'd trade my TM for a portable because the portable is "cheaper".

Greenie

bottom line is Volume, followed closely by Made in the USA.

OP is a niche, you are basically buying a custom machine, it's like asking why a Custom chopper cost so much more than a factory Sportster.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Yeah right Greenie.

But you did nail it in comparison with a harley.

They both vibrate like hell.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
lol that was funny....

greenies example works better...

didnt say i would trade my stuff either...

however porty vs a V is a BIG stretch....

besides a rotary can be used for more then a op machine...op is a niche

John G

Yep, can be a niche, how so can a rotary be used more?

Carpet, residential, commercial, tile and grout, stone, wood, concrete, wood decks, what the heck are you using YOUR rotary on?

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
OP machines are built better. LOL. My OP machine has broken down more then my TM.

Golden Boy

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
John G said:

Yep, can be a niche, how so can a rotary be used more?

Carpet, residential, commercial, tile and grout, stone, wood, concrete, wood decks, what the heck are you using YOUR rotary on?

ok lets check this out

Carpet res and com. both....check

tile and grout...hummm does the grout like being wiped by towels, or does it work better with a brush???

Wood ill give ya...rotarys are to tuff, and the OP works like a orbital sander.....

wood decks...hence the WOOD in the word

Stone??? OP cant hone or powder polish a stone floor.....

same with concrete, it like brushes or other mean things...honed or polished the OP cant do...and it dont like the terry towels either

Now there are lots of POS rotarys out there...Mine is a 30 yr old kent, that is heavy and is the 350 rpm variety...and I LOVE it....dont get used as much anymore, do to Propane stripping equipment and the cimex (oh there is a versatile machine wooo)

Speaking of which...stripping and waxing...OP I have a OP type machine that is propane and it does ok, but I can strip faster with the ole 20" then i can that...cords are the only issue....oh yeah yours has a cord to...

so in reading this id say the rotary wins..

John G

ok lets check this out

Carpet res and com. both....check

tile and grout...hummm does the grout like being wiped by towels, or does it work better with a brush???

Hello Doug, OP uses a brush, obviously you don't know how to use OP, LOL This is what I usually find about people with their view of OP.

Wood ill give ya...rotarys are to tuff, and the OP works like a orbital sander.....

Again, brush then pad

wood decks...hence the WOOD in the word

Stone??? OP cant hone or powder polish a stone floor.....

Don't hone but will polish as well as a 350 will.

same with concrete, it like brushes or other mean things...honed or polished the OP cant do...and it dont like the terry towels either
Clean concrete all the time, again shows you don't know OP, it IS done with a brush... LOL

Now there are lots of POS rotarys out there...Mine is a 30 yr old kent, that is heavy and is the 350 rpm variety...and I LOVE it....dont get used as much anymore, do to Propane stripping equipment and the cimex (oh there is a versatile machine wooo)

Speaking of which...stripping and waxing...OP I have a OP type machine that is propane and it does ok, but I can strip faster with the ole 20" then i can that...cords are the only issue....oh yeah yours has a cord to...

Here again, OP strips and waxes, but then you do have to know how to use it.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
ok well, most the OPs you see on websites, dont advertise brushes..the one i tried out, they never said it had brush...so there.....hahahha

and i do have a propane powered one...it just doesnt perform as well when it comes to stripping, due to the jiggly of it...

And when it comes to stone...I would have to see this....based on what needs to happen to get stone Power polished...

hey you bring your toys to the show??? ill looksee then

John G

Doug, I do not an CAN not hone stone, I can only clean it.

But yeah, I will be at Connections and look forward to seeing you there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom