Opening at Saiger's Steam Clean in 2 weeks

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Well, the youngster put in his 2 weeks notice today (youngest daughters boyfriend).

Of course, we are slammed beyond belief and not sure if we are going to replace him.

Always a bummer that you carry someone through the slow season and he quits when you really need the skilled help.

Oh well.....

He took a better paying job, but it is seasonal and he will get laid off in the Fall/winter....so really, he will find out, he is really not getting much of a pay raise in the end if any after all the other perks we kicked in.

Kids got to learn though....

Well, just got done doing a bunch of those townhomes and other jobs....now getting ready for big restaurant gig yet in an hour.

A lot of work in our future....and with on less person, more work (kind of) but less cost for the company for now.

Mikey P

Administrator
yeah....

the little fooker I trained all winter to be ready for the May rush walks in and tells me he has to go to Utah to visit a sick relative and doesn't know when he'll be back.

f'n livid.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
yeah....

the little fooker I trained all winter to be ready for the May rush walks in and tells me he has to go to Utah to visit a sick relative and doesn't know when he'll be back.

f'n livid.

OMG....I am rolling on the floor laughing....even though we shouldn't be....

But damn....I feel your pain

and really enjoyed that comment!!!

I am not sure what we are going to do....but I might enjoy the pay raise for the company for awhile until I maybe come across the right person.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
This is why I don't exactly hate being alone sometimes. I usually know what to expect...from myself. Sure is a gamble though, going down is NOT an option.

The Clean Machine

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
He actually had such a bad driving record (couple years before being with us) that he wasn't allowed to drive our rigs. Insurance company would have wanted another $3000 if we let him drive....or would even drop us....so we dealt with it.

At his new job, he is suppose to drive heavy rigs and DOT vehicles, and I am not sure if they are aware of that....

He went to an interview early this morning before coming to work with us.

They offered him the job and not sure if it matters to them that he probably shouldn't drive their equipment.

A year ago, he didn't have his drivers license back, so we had to pick him up and drive him home each day....Driving Miss Daisy....LOL....

His new job is with a landscape company that will put in long hours too, but also a lot of heavy, heavy labor intense work!

Wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't reconsider his decision after a couple weeks....or if they can't let him drive and decide it won't work for him.

It's just the way life is in business I guess.

Well....ding, ding goes the planner....time to go clean some greasy carpet!

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I had a great guy trained and he did the same thing. Took a slightly higher paying job. That's why he came to me so eyes wide open. He gave his 2 week right before I was gonna give him a big raise.

Gene

Reactions: Mark Saiger

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
My son did the landscaping job last summer. Long days did not know when he would get off. 6 days a week. Walking 15 miles a day. Running a crew of 5 and the only one that speaks English. He came home whipped every day. $10 bucks hours. 60-70 hour weeks. Then over the winter he did snow 24-30 hours at a time. $20 hour. He hated it. He found out real quick the overtime and hours where not worth it.

He came to work for us 3 months ago. He is loving our commission system and regular hours.

I feel your pain on losing someone.

I remember Joe spoke at the fest "when you have a opening hire two cause one will not work out"

hogjowl

Idiot™
Well for crying out loud! I'm in the same boat as you guys. My bone head went to Gulf Shores this week end and tore something in his knee while jumping around like an African at a concert. He's out for weeks. Right here when I finally need him.

Name
Marcus
I had some more wiser and experienced men tell me to keep my business a one owner operator business...when I first started
Took me 5 years to realize they were right....
The cap

Reactions: GCCLee

Able 1

Name
Keith
I had some more wiser and experienced men tell me to keep my business a one owner operator business...when I first started
Took me 5 years to realize they were right....
The cap

Ah, horseshit! You will make the most money(dollar for dollar) for you to work with a helper,and that's it.. I will continue to push for more and more, but I realize that how I'm running now will be the best return. Always be on the look out for the new to hire guy.. Being a O/O is quite dangerous you never know what might happen!

Able 1

Name
Keith
Oh yeah, Mark landscaping is hard work, he will be back! Think about it for a landscape crew they set up and work HARD straight for hours.. We get 15-20 breaks between jobs.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I had a great guy trained and he did the same thing. Took a slightly higher paying job. That's why he came to me so eyes wide open. He gave his 2 week right before I was gonna give him a big raise.

Gene

Funny thing....I was going to give him a dollar on hour raise this week....and probably another dollar an hour for a couple improvement items in the next 3 months.

Guess I keep that money for now....

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I just don't see him doing landscape....just not his thing to work like that.

I will see if in 2 weeks how it is going for him.

In the mean time, just going to do some cherry picking on the jobs and not take on the possible crappy jobs at this time.

If I find someone who might work out, I will try them out.

He told us tonight that everyone who works for the landscaping company is getting really old....and my son in law says "so it looks like they think they found someone to do all their work....LOL"!

I just had to bite my tongue .... and smile :)

Willy P

Name
Willy P
yeah....

f'n livid.

How inconsiderate of the relative to be sick. Some people.

Able 1

Name
Keith

He won't make it a week, well unless he is real stubborn, and doesn't like to hear "I told you so".. :lol: The reason they are all old is the young kids have NO clue what hard work is! When he comes back pay him starting wage..:twisted::lol:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Can ya Train me?

: )

Sent from da parking garage of dee detention center

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
He won't make it a week, well unless he is real stubborn, and doesn't like to hear "I told you so".. :lol: The reason they are all old is the young kids have NO clue what hard work is! When he comes back pay him starting wage..:twisted::lol:

It's been muddy and rainy forever here.....he isn't going to like the mud that much....and I am not sure if he will make it hauling sod, bricks, landscape material....working in crummy unkept equipment to keep doing his job....

He is going to also have a lot of expenses to get started here:

Steel toe boots

His own work clothes and safety gear (coats, gloves, safety glasses....)

Probably has to go to a higher classification of drivers license (if he can get one) at his own expense.

Will be paying for ALL of his own meals.

No use of our shop and tools (when he wants to wrench on his fun toys) Will have to go to his Dad's place which is 30 miles away.

Will have to pay to power wash off his monster truck (and other toys) uptown and not use our truckmounts (and leave a pile of mud in our driveway)

No Simple IRA (which we matched)

No paid vacations and holidays....

And he will be laid off all winter I am thinking (which he might like)

If he comes back, will be interesting as I already have the word out I am looking. Got ahold of my former assistant band director (who is now the head director) and told him I am looking. He knows what we need. He said if he wasn't so busy (because he also just had his new assistant band director leave again) he would be on board at least for the summer. He is a damn good worker and we would have a lot of fun!

Well, time to get busy...need to take my mini schnauzer in for her knee surgery and then 39 more townhomes to get done, meet with the Fire Dept chief for and estimate, and some citidiot called yesterday about someone having a bachelor party at their lake home, and needs us right away! (He is a tight wad though....and not really going to rush to his aid today)

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
My kid finally decided he wanted to give it a shot..so I hired him towards the end if January and then fired his butt right before MF in February....
He got a ticket ( in his car ) for doing almost 15 over the speed limit....and if that was not good enough....the dumb ass got another one 2 days later.....

got back from MF and decided he could ride in the van and help out until I found someone else.....the kid does a excellent job......he thinks ahead....and the clients love him...
He went to traffic school....paid his fines...Tia talked to the insurance company...and I am sure it is costing me a bit more but managed to get him on insurance......

He has been training and helping me ever since and next week..I am off the truck and I am sending him out on his own.......and I swear if he gets a ticket in my truck I am going to run him over with it.........

BTW...Saiger....I sent you my resume ..........I require weekends and winters off........

Name
Nate W.
Reminds me of the time my pops asked me to come back and work with them...... I failed to mention I had a wreckless driving ticket I was found guilty of.... Lost my license....(I was innocent I swear)......Got an SR22 from the insurance company... I either had to pay $10,000 a year just for insurance to insure me with $3,000 for just liability, or $25,000 down in an acct with the City&County for 3 years and get it back if I didn't hit anyone...

Reason: I was drifting around turns and just so happens a cop was around the turn... :clap:

The joy of being young and dumb...... :shifty:

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
My son started working with me the summer of 2008, I was his first job. I drove him hard and treated him with kindness and payed him well. He decided months later that Carpet Cleaning was too hard. He took a job working in a kitchen where his mother was a waitress. He was back in a week. You have to set the kids free to learn for themselves how good they actually have it with you.

My main man Matt has been with me 6 years. Just yesterday he came back to the shop and announced he is going to visit the Navy recruiter.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
Sometimes they don't realize how good they have it until they go somewhere else.

If we have had a good employee quit (after giving proper notice) and they want to return later, we are glad to have them back. I have 3 or 4 guys that have done that. Depending on how long they are gone, we either put them right back where they were or they go to the back of the line and start all over.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom