Orbital Machines. Are they worth it?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I have a 175 rpm floor machine. It works well.

Do the orbital floor machines give you any substantial advantage to make it worth the investment?

Also, which of the different machines, you think is the best to buy?

Thanks
Ofer

Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member
Name
Jeff Madsen
We've been using OP machines for ten years now. I think they are far superior to a standard rotary for carpet cleaning or pre-scrubbing. They are not as durable as a rotary, they require more ongoing maintenance and they are not quite as multi-purpose. Having said all that, I carry two on my truck at all times - a big 17 inch and a smaller machine for prescrubbing stairs. I think they are worth the expense and maintenance.

hogjowl

Idiot™
OP machines are NOT as good for prescrubbing as a 175 rotary. Sorry, but I just have to disagree. OP machines are much too slow and pull too much of the carpet fiber out in balls. So, even if you prevacuum, you can't effectively use a hole or slot glided wand to clean with because you now have the fiber balls laying about that will not come up with the glided wand. Bending and cuffing up torn fiber balls is not my idea of a good time, nor is it very good for your production times.

Unless you specifically plan on doing OP cleaning, I'd suggest that you stick with your 175 rotary.

admiralclean said:
OP machines are NOT as good for prescrubbing as a 175 rotary. Sorry, but I just have to disagree. OP machines are much too slow and pull too much of the carpet fiber out in balls. So, even if you prevacuum, you can't effectively use a hole or slot glided wand to clean with because you now have the fiber balls laying about that will not come up with the glided wand. Bending and cuffing up torn fiber balls is not my idea of a good time, nor is it very good for your production times.

Unless you specifically plan on doing OP cleaning, I'd suggest that you stick with your 175 rotary.

Give Marty an "AMEN" to the carpet bloom!!

RLitwin

I have one of the early CCS pad machines. I wanted to switch from HWE to orbital. I would have to find all new customers, only one customer like it. I find it too slow to prescrub.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
OP machines are too slow.

And I don't buy into the better rotation deal either.

I much rather use my 300 rpm buffer to bonnet clean!

DavidVB

If your use is residential, I would stick with the rotary. OP action is pretty aggressive on cut pile. If you have commercial maintenance to do, I like the CX20 from Clark. The sprayer makes for good production.

Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member
Name
Jeff Madsen
I have to disagree with Marty. Glad pads do not leave "balls of fiber" laying all over the place. In the past, with cotton pads and combo pads, that was indeed the case. It is no longer the case with glads. On another point, a 17 inch OP machine is comparable speed wise with a rotary (yes, I own all of the above). Lastly, Curtis is right about tip bloom - that is a valid concern. The glad pads have diminished that problem but it still is something to keep your eye on.

If you are an owner-operator OP makes a lot of sense. If you're running with employees, I'd find another way to skin the cat.

hogjowl

Idiot™
If you are wanting to do low moisture cleaning, then yes, the OP machine is the way to go, but if you are a hwe cleaner and just looking for something versitile to prescrub carpet and tile with, then the 175 is the way to go.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I would have to question whether that OP is faster than my 300 rpm buffer with a tuway.

Marty I've been using soap free by masterblend for my commercial bonnet formula.

Can't get any cheaper in chemical expenses.

Just recently I did a large dining room and was able to one hand it and do 50 foot rows.
Turn around and overlap and go another 50 feet back across.

Kinda like this,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pSzjfimqkM

If the video doesn't show just look up an Xerian encapsulation video.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Jimmy,
Doesn't the 300 rpm create some issues with blooming as well?
Do you use it only on glue down or very low loop?

And thanks all for your responses.
Highly appreciated.
Ofer

Scott Rogers

No way will a power head even come close to the production ability of a 175/300 neither will a op machine.

A OP will out clean a 175/300 but for light to moderate soil a 175/300 does a good job.

For prescrubing a 175/300 is way faster then op. BUt I prefer a cbm over either.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I just use the 300 to bonnet on CGD and if I use the OP it is on residential , if I ever use it that is.

A 300 rpm scrub and extract on residential is fast especially in empty homes.
Just put down a lot of juice for lubrication.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Jeff just remember you'll be seeing me at the BP BBQ soon my friend..............soon just me and you.............no more asking for my autographs.......just a severe tourettes out break from me to you.

Back
Top Bottom