Ordered my new Sapphire Pro1200 this week

hogjowl

Idiot™
Not religiously, but past history has shown me that I do this on about that schedule. In the past, I grew tired of units because of inadequate blower size, or some sort of configuration problem that I wanted to correct. The TCS Chief II that I am running now is about 5 years old, and it is in a 9 year old van with 99,000 miles on it. They both look almost like new. I don't want to get rid of it, I want to purchase new and use it as a back-up.

The TCS unit I have is worthy of pulling out and placing in a new van, and if I were still alone, that would probably be the option I would take, but I have my son with me now and I need another unit ... as a back up ... and as a dual wand option on some of the huge commercial jobs we do.

I want something new and all sparkly for me to drive in the spring.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
LOL

Hey I drive junk to work everyday....well its not junk but its a 10-year old Tundra. My supervisors drive band new transits.

If he's out doing the work he should have the nicest van. The old one can be parked in the drive......while the OTHER old one has his rear parked on the sofa. :p

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I always bought new vans with a new machine.
After 5 years they always looked almost new and I felt like it would be a shame to sell a perfectly good set up. It is after 10 years that they start showing and acting their age. It always gets to the stage- will an extra few thousands take care of the problems, or is it another black hole for money?

Not saying it is the smart thing to do (Seem like all the large companies hold them for about 5-6 years and then sell.)
However, as an o/o I don't put as many hours on them and take good care of them.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I think 10 years is a good goal depending on your hours, but if you are running 1,000 hours a year 6 years might be a good goal also. Indyallpro from here flips his every 2-3 years. 2-3 years is probably when you are going to get the most back from you investment as far as resale, but with higher priced used equipment I believe it will be harder to sell(maybe not?).

For me it comes down to running the hell out of them till they throw a rod or something because it's still making me great money for something that is already paid off. My Peak has around 4,500 hours and it just won't die(might just throw another motor on it when it does, van runs great(looks OK) with only 93,000)! It does have some to do with mechanical ability also, if your not able to fix things yourself I would stick to the 5-6 year thing, or 5,000 hours.

I think I might have been able to get $8,000 for my back up unit,and van in the beginning of last year, well this year it made around $20,000. So instead of having a new payment....

Name
Kevin McCreary
A company in my market area has three Butlers in diesel Ford extended vans. I think they are 1988 or 89's. They look like crap, especially in Michigan where everything rusts out. The seats have springs and stuff poking out, the dashboards are all cracked. However the one that I looked inside of had 900000 miles on it and the machine had 16000 hours on it. I asked one of their techs if it made pretty hot water. He replied "yeah it gets super hot like 140 degrees". I just kinda laughed. I would never want a truck to last that long! I would be ashamed to have my name on it or bring it to a clients house. I guess it works for them, they do mostly night work.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
My 04 UD with 400K combined miles on it still looks way better than all these Vortex wannabees driving around in those old beat to hell Venturi trucks.

yea but those run down old girls are older then yours and still out there working...that right there should say it all about diesel PTO's

Chris A

Name
Chris
I think as the gas vans are getting better and better the need for a diesel drops off. My 98 van/cds only had 4200 hours and 70k on it when I bought my current set-up and it felt dog tired. My current set up now has 70k and 3600 hours and the van drives as well as ever. I expect to get 150k and 7-8000 hours before I send her to the junk pile, what more could you want for 50-60k?

Name
Kevin McCreary
You can usually move a clutch drive machine to a second or third van when they get tired out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom