Out with the old, in with the new.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
We replaced the ringers on our Moore's machine this week. Kudos to our head mechanic for coordinating it and getting it done on time and on budget!!
20180207_105727.jpg
20180207_125231.jpg
20180209_151055.jpg

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Quite the job! How often do those need replacing?

Measuring the hardness is an indicator. A new install should read between 65/70 on the durometer scale across the 16 foot length of each roller.

As the years go by, most MOR in-plant operations see diminished performance around years 10-12. After that they get hard measuring upwards to 80-90. They should have been replaced before that measurement. Some have made it to 15 years.

The biggest factor that hastens the rubber's life is the environment of one's operation and the type of rubber specified for installation application. Also, flat spots on the wringers can occur if they are left in the compressed state when not in use. They are heavy and in operation can exert around 125 p.s.i. against each other when working.

Note: The wringer rollers may look fine after many years, but they be failing to wring rugs out well. Why? Because they are too hard they cannot provide the squishy surface contact or squeezing effect necessary to compress the water out of the rug. To Illustrate: Think of a new properly inflated tire on a car. If it is too hard, the road contact surface is less, and therein is the issue. The compression wringers need adequate surface contact to squeegee the rug as it passes through.

This information is good to know in case one happens of what one thinks is a good deal for a used Moore Machine. Feel free to check with me first. Our company has experience with these machines and costs associated with bringing them back into specifications as they were engineered to run,

Thanks for posting Brian! Hagopian should get dryer rugs out the back of their machine now. Less dripping as they move through the building.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikey P

Ron K

Tom are there any comparisons wringer to centrifuges as far as water removed? Know time,production blah blah blah. But just Dryness/water removal.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Tom are there any comparisons wringer to centrifuges as far as water removed? Know time,production blah blah blah. But just Dryness/water removal.

The centrifuge achieves more water removal compared to compression wringing hands down. That is why a number of MOR Time Saving Equipment users acquire centrifuges too. Robert Mann can speak to this. He has two MOR Machines and two centrifuges. The others in the field don't participate on this forum.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We replaced the ringers on our Moore's machine this week. Kudos to our head mechanic for coordinating it and getting it done on time and on budget!!
We pulled ours last year to get at the rusting bed below. Just about the limit for our forklift.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
We pulled ours last year to get at the rusting bed below. Just about the limit for our forklift.

We hired an outside company to lift the old rollers out and put the new ones in. We had them out one day, they gave us a couple of days to clean everything up underneath and then they came back to lift them in place. Our maintenance manager was able to coordinate everything, anticipate issues and it went very smoothly!!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Did you have spare rollers for re-coating or buy new? I'm wondering about the value of the old rollers sitting on top of our chemical storage container.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
Did you have spare rollers for re-coating or buy new? I'm wondering about the value of the old rollers sitting on top of our chemical storage container.

Bryan, we bought new. I too am wondering about the value of storing a spare set for the 10-15 years until they would be needed. It's a lot of money and space tied up for a long time.

We will be making that decision in the next month or so.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Bryan, we bought new. I too am wondering about the value of storing a spare set for the 10-15 years until they would be needed. It's a lot of money and space tied up for a long time.

We will be making that decision in the next month or so.

Trade them in for a Tumble Duster?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I too am wondering about the value of storing a spare set for the 10-15 years until they would be needed. It's a lot of money and space tied up for a long time.
Since the rubber would get hard just sitting, I wouldn't re-coat and store.

New wasn't an option the last time we needed re-coating. At the time, Moore told us to send them to a company in Alabama, where the shipping alone would cost more than the re-coating job. Luckily we found a machine for parts and put together a local three-company consortium to have the rollers from the other machine re-coated. One company to do the rubber lay-up, one that had a big enough autoclave, and one that could turn rollers that size. We held on to the old rollers so we could do the same when the next time came.

With Tom having parts available it might be worth letting the old rollers go to someone that had no core to trade in, but they're out of the way so not much of an issue.

PS: When you get that deep into the machine you have to replace all the hard to get to stuff. Good thing these machines pay for themselves.
Washer parts.jpg

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Centrum Force Fabrication can do it all from start to finish. (Ron Moore did not have the staff or the appetite to do it in his later years) During the last 6 years of owning the company, we have made new rollers complete with the proper specs. We ship and install. We have done this a number of times from coast to coast already. We take the old ones back and give a core credit toward the purchase price of new ones. In Brian Hanna's case, since he is local, we can take his cores in as credit against the total cost of building him a new duster. Or, we have a used Moore duster for sale he can get credit with those cores against the sale cost.

Bryan is correct. Never do you want to get the new rubber rollers and put them in storage. It's all about the durometer hardness. Fresh is good. Old is hard and bad.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
I just now think I understood your reaction.

Hence, for clarity:

"Toward a Tumble Duster"

Hmmm...I don't know Tom, that's not what you said the first time.

Trade them in for a Tumble Duster?

No mention of that word "towards". :oldrolleyes:

Give me a call at the office on Monday and maybe we can work something out.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Hmmm...I don't know Tom, that's not what you said the first time.

No mention of that word "towards". :oldrolleyes:

Give me a call at the office on Monday and maybe we can work something out.

Will do. Two rollers could get you a very small tumble duster of sorts. Or, a fine reduction on cost for an appropriate size one for your operation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom