Oven Hood Cleaning w/ TM

Name
George Valliant
Lost out on a restuarant bid today cuz I don't offer oven hood cleaning.

Anyone ever done hood cleaning before? Is it a complete different toolset or can a truck mount be used?

What equipment is required and what is the process?

Seems like if you already do restuarants you're leaving a lot of money on the table by not offering hood cleaning too.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I looked into it and almost got into the Business. I guess you might be able to use a TM if it had real high flow 2000 PSI and it would hold some heat. Most guys use a hotsy type power washer Basically, the process is this:

Remove filters and scrap as much grease as you can with a razor blade then tape off the the hood with 1 Mil plasic running into a 55 gal bucket. Place a sump pump in the bottom of the bucket. You use a high PH foaming degreaser on the system (including the fan on the roof) and blast it off. Some guys carry a large plastic vat to clean the filters in or offer a filter rental service and just exchange them for new ones in-between cleanings. Be careful around the sensors for the fire containment system Ivebeensold . I decided against doing it because it’s nasty work and you could most likely only do 1-2 per night.

My friend pays a company around 2500 to get his vents, cooking equipment and walls cleaned about every 3 months, and the company does the job in one night but it also takes most of the night with about 5 people.

danielc said:
My friend pays a company around 2500 to get his vents, cooking equipment and walls cleaned about every 3 months, and the company does the job in one night but it also takes most of the night with about 5 people.

Also, you will need a lot of specialty equipment. They show up with a big azz trailer with a lot of equipment and they use it all. Next time he has it done I should pay closer attention to how they do everything.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Other than the shared word "cleaning" it is an entirely different and largely incompatible business.

We used to do a lot of it, spun it off to a nephew who has a fire extinguisher business, a closer fit.

Thanks,
Lee

Name
Jesse
We have never done just a hood, we usually clean everything in the kitchen so we make a mess of the floor then clean it up.

Once we do a bigger volume I'll build box truck into a custom electro rig w/ 400-500 gallon tanks, some propane heat , 2 1500psi pumps, and an on board cleaning area.

Right now we use a tm, I dedicated hoses for that work. We run 2 lances @1200psi w/ turbo nozzles @270-290F. There are different ways of dealing with the grease but it never goes down the facilities drains. A inline grease tank w/ pump out is the best option I have come up with

Out Of Character said:
We have never done just a hood, we usually clean everything in the kitchen so we make a mess of the floor then clean it up.

Once we do a bigger volume I'll build box truck into a custom electro rig w/ 400-500 gallon tanks, some propane heat , 2 1500psi pumps, and an on board cleaning area.

Right now we use a tm, I dedicated hoses for that work. We run 2 lances @1200psi w/ turbo nozzles @270-290F. There are different ways of dealing with the grease but it never goes down the facilities drains. A inline grease tank w/ pump out is the best option I have come up with

You better get some signed contracts.

Name
Lee Stockwell
As mentioned: fusible links to the fire suppression system.

The real possibility of getting water into wiring, thermostats, and IC circuits in the kitchen.

Defective hood stacks that leak water elsewhere in the building. Grease on the roof while cleaning the fan (it has to be removed and usually cleaned on its side on the roof). Falling off the roof. Cutting yourself on sharp sheetmetal. Clogged drains in the days following, blamed on you. Working in the dead of night against a deadline, in the dark.

Giving a "special price" based on an optimistic promise of regular scheduling. Crooked competitors who TAG work that isn't really done.

Special insurance required!!!! In bad economic times a lot of failing businesses have suspicious fires. You could have a target on your back.

more....

Thanks,
Lee

Bob Foster

It's a totally different business and really doesn't have that much in common.

Huge liability. A lot of the servicing has to been done from the roof too. Its also a dirty grimy shitty job with horrible hours.

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
Dirty, Nasty, Smelly, Sticky, Foul, Putrid, Stinking, Cruddy work. If you have some time I will tell you how I really feel about grease vents. If you have minions at your command, you can make good money. Just need some rudimentray mechanical know how and a strong stomach. Overnight work when the restraunts are closed. Worse than a cleaning a pee saturated rug. The odor permeates your everything! I used to travel all over the US installing my bosses invention, the Grease Gutter. He came up with a concept, sold the first one to McDonalds, and assigned me to create and install them.

This is a prototype I made from Home Depot plastic gutters.

963a65f51ca987e71be5_1.jpg

After we sold a bunch the extrusions came in, I did this install for Disney Land.

963a65f51ca987e71be5_2.jpg

There is a video on this page. I am the guy installing.

http://www.greasegutter.com/downloads.htm

Name
George Valliant
Thank you for the feedback.

Think I'll pass on the hood cleaning services and stick to what I do best...

FranH

Hi,
My name is Fran and this is exactly what I have been doing for 20 years. Now we are moving into carpet cleaning trying to get more than one job in per night or day. The work is really not that bad, but it is strong nasty chems. sodium hydroxide that is what we use. Our min. job is $300 and it does help that it needs to be done by law. Cold weather, I read about carpet cleaners saying its cold try being on the roof when it's in the 20's or colder not good. I usually send out postcards to get new work and average 1 to 2 percent not sure how that will work with cc. I would say you are already on the better end.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
That's another reason I stayed away fron hood vent cleaning. 300-400 per average per job around here. i guess it's less overhead the carpet cleaning but it seems like it should pay a little better. Now if you could double your ticket by doing carpets at the same time it might be better.

FranH

Thats our plan been watching other companys come in to clean the carpets while we do the hoods.
Trying to make the most of our customers. Cleaned a KFC last night freezing cold on the roof ladder fell over from wind I think I would rather be pushing a wand and hire a few techs.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I was a restaurant manager for 6 years. we had our hoods cleaned once a month. I always went on the roof and checked them after the guys were done.. I would not pay for it unless it was spotless... Lets just say. 6 companies never got paid. I went threw alot of companies. Its a nasty job, doesnt pay much.... Most companies send the trashiest employees on the face of the earth to clean them. If you had the right equipment and good employees you would be set....... In my state the fire marshall says that they have to be done everything 30-90 days. Some lower volume locations still have to get it done every 3 months. and the ansul has to be services as well

Name
Lee Stockwell
In six years "6 companies never got paid", because mgt checked the job "after they left" points to a big problem as well. Accountability and honesty.

Motomark

Re: Hood Cleaning :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Iseeru
Tech and or Company should be a licensed and or approved by the State or County your in to do the work,
There are problems that can come up in this area, Like if you leave any trace of grease behind or clog up vents and there is a Fire from your work, Hope you are insured for this Its nasty dirty work I know a Guy That dose it
You Could be held responsible for that I would stick to what you are great at,
And offer more cleaning related services to your clients like Carpet cleaning program Power Wash Awnings and Clean
Booth Backs and Tile and Grout Cleaning :wink:

Jimbo

I DID IT....

when my kids were little, and I did not want them to go hungry...and Did want them to go to college!

I'd come home soaked to the skin with GREASE...and yes, I wore all the protective gear...did not matter...you Will be soaked to the skin with grease...

better know a good Sparky to disconnect fans and stuff...

better know a good 'Ansul' guy...to disconnect the 'Live link' in the system...

would I do it now...No Way!...but I did do it then...for a good reason.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom