Over $1k to replace my breaks! Ouch!

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
$750 just parts to replace my rear drums, seals, shoes and hardware, and about $200 just for the front pads plus labor. I'm spending it just as fast as I'm making it.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I feel your pain.

today I decided I didn’t have enough stress in my life so I decided to replace the exhaust manifold on the ‘71 Ford. Snapped two of the bolts off. After being on for 50 years, they did not want to come off. I had been soaking them for over a month with PB blaster in prep for this day. Glad I didn’t snap more off. Got the new manifold on and shes purring like a kitten. I also replaced the alternator, still not charging. I’ve thrown up my hands and put the truck in the shop to figure out why its not charging.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
$750 just parts to replace my rear drums, seals, shoes and hardware, and about $200 just for the front pads plus labor. I'm spending it just as fast as I'm making it.
Ford? That's about $450 less than usual (and as a guy familiar with Ford brakes, having someone else do them is worth every penny).

Another van? Still not a terrible price.

Reactions: Nomad74

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
I hate drum brakes. Every time I say I'll never change them again.

Gotta love them springs
I did all mine all the way around my scooby. All wheel cylinders also. Wasn’t to bad just annoying. Miss this lil van rebuilt the whole thing just didn’t get to the paint

A8239963-D187-43DD-A520-28ECAE7F28F3.jpeg

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
Emergency breaks are the worst.

My cable snapped when I was backing up in an RV park and some idiot geriatric recliner lover rode their bike right behind me! So I hit e brake and the stupid cable snapped. Took me a bit to get it disengaged

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Nomad74

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
Be nice with a 370 in it.

Nah couldn’t handle the weight. Original engine was a 170 inline 6. I replaced with a rebuilt 200 inline 6. Could go bigger without cutting doghouse and the shaft and rear end were real small. Wasn’t till 65 that you could drop in big block 6’s or swap out for v8’s plus by then they had the beefy drive shafts and rear ends.

Fun lil cruiser , 3 on the column. I did upgrade with back up camera, viper alarm with added power locks and nice Bluetooth stereo.

Reactions: Cleanworks
Name
Lee Stockwell
Gotta love them springs
I did all mine all the way around my scooby. All wheel cylinders also. Wasn’t to bad just annoying. Miss this lil van rebuilt the whole thing just didn’t get to the paint

View attachment 100387
I had two of these, one like this with the Falcon 170, and a later "supervan" extended with the bigger block 240 straight 6.

Fun driving, with my firstborn in a playpen in the back, early 70's.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Isuzu box with a chevy bowtie on it
Great price!

My Dad had a 63 Econoline that I drove in high school. The wacky one barrel carb was prone to overflow fires. Rebuilding and then replacing the carb only put off the next fire.

The girl sitting on the engine cover had to jump off and open the cover while I steered to the side of the road and put the fire out with a towel.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Remember me.....I'm the one that tol you
How dumb you were fo pulling the trailer...
THEN after that I told you how expensive
The 3/4 and 1 ton trucks are to keep up...
You know..I'm not gonna be around forever to share my expertise....
However..you HAVE come a long way on your cc journey....from that da you used to be!.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Remember me.....I'm the one that tol you
How dumb you were fo pulling the trailer...
THEN after that I told you how expensive
The 3/4 and 1 ton trucks are to keep up...
You know..I'm not gonna be around forever to share my expertise....
However..you HAVE come a long way on your cc journey....from that da you used to be!.
That’s the nicest thing you’ve ever said to me

looks like Bawb has a soft side

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
Just dont take it to les schwab. I had them replace everything pads, calipers, rotors, brake lines, etc per their suggestion. Went back 9 months later to have them swap pads and surface rotors wayyyy ahead of schedule (plenty of pad left)

guy tells me my calipers are shot, I need all new rotors, brake lines etc

told him to look at the service they did 9 months back and he turned the color of a tomato.

les schwab upsells hard af, just like any bait and switch carpet cleaner.

Reactions: Cleanworks

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
same truck we have W3500. Brakes are expensive... just swap the front pads often, the rear drums last forever
I replaced the rear drums because the mechanic said they had stress cracks all through the drums, and they didn't feel comfortable turning them. I'm assuming this was the original drums at 173k miles on the truck

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom