Over Cleaners

Mikey P

Administrator
taken from a FB conversation..

Due to a lack of a talented and passionate workforce in the last ( I'm being generous here) ten years, we Americans are seeing poorly laid tiled floors everywhere. Weak/damaged grout is a common place as prematurely worn polyester carpet or swollen MDF/Pergo wood lookalikes.
I teach this stuff, I'm surrounded by the very folks that will someday soon write the standards for hard surface cleaning. I am also constantly contacted by cleaners dealing with these issues.
Im not bagging on spinner tools here, I'm bagging on the "Mark Markovitz" generation of lazy cleaners who wont use TACT to clean floors. The guys who always treat floors as if they were in a chinese restaurant with pH15 "2790 Oxy Master Blaster" and 1500-2500 psi, all so that they can avoid the Time and Agitation element to the professional process...
If thats you and my comments offend you, tough shit, you deserve to be throat punched, ESPECIALLY you assholes that Turbo Tilt.
Markovitz, the guy who claims to have invented the first turbo, has been promoting this bullshit for twenty years.
Why do you think I created my hard surface glide? Because I know for a fact that most grouted floors SHOULD and CAN be cleaned with just 400 psi if one uses TACT.
Think of it this way: Why do you rarely see cleaners online using rotary extractors on carpet any more? Because as a whole our industry has figured out that it's actually easier to use dwell time, our better modern chemistry, our CRBs and our high performance wands to achieve ( nearly ) the same result
And by doing so we avoid the over wetting and texture damage that is so common with rotary extension.
Well I found with the brush glide and using less pressure and TACT, and many many cleaners are reporting back to me that they're finding the same thing, is that grout is drying quicker and brighter. Why? Because grout just like carpet can wick and when you have a grouted floor that is saturated through and through with dirty mop water and you over clean it needlessly with a spinner, you're causing it to wick and the grout ends up drying blotchy.
Now let's throw in the fact, and you'll know this if you clean newly built modern homes, most of the grout being used these days hardly contains cement anymore. Do yourself a favor and become familiar with Prism grout from Polyblend. That's all we see out here on the west coast anymore in new installs. Prism and the competitors equivalents. are not even offered in sanded or unsanded anymore because it's so strong (when used correctly) due to all the polymer and strength building ingredients that it doesn't even need to be sealed. So it certainly does not need to be pressure washed at 1500 PSI.
Markovitz also promotes the immoral act of telling the floor owners about thier weak grout before cleaning, giving a quote on the needed repair then he self-fulfills his prophecy by intentionally blowing it out by using 2,000 PSI under his damn spinner and then forcefully upselling them on grout repair and color sealing. Rather than using the correct color of grout, he then colorseals the repair because he knows down the line, the color seal's going to fail and he can charge them to come back and reapply it. Yet another asshole that needs to be throat punched.
Heat is NOT what cleans grout, chemistry and aggitation is. It's not the heat under the spinner that is doing the work. It's the agitation from the high PSI. Prove it to yourself on your next tile and grout job, sweep the floor mop down your chemistry. Chemistry give it 10 or 20 minutes to dwell. Give it a light scrub where needed with a CRB or a pole brush or a malish brush under 175 and then use your hard surface wand and see if you don't get the same result at 400 PSI.
Obviously don't try this in the Chinese restaurant.
Quit cracking people's grout joints with high heat, quit turbo tilting and swelling their baseboards, regardless of them being cheap junk. It's not our place to **** up people's homes because we're too lazy to scrub and use a proper tool to do the edging.
Are there still properly installed grouted floors that can withstand 1500 pai? Sure, lots in older or very high end homes, but America's subdivisions are being built by a work force who couldn't tell you how many ounces are in a cup, so dont expect modern grouted installs to hold up to OUR abuse

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Mike. Even the hard surface glide oversprays out the sides even at under 400 PSI. I know a few guys that use it and are just keeping quiet about it because their afraid of your strong personally. I personally think a spinner is better for tile floors and not tilt it.

What I do is clean right up to the edge with my spinner or hard surface wand, then anything along the edge that is needing some love i clean with a spotting towel and brush. I use a second towel to dry. Never had a problem with swelling doing this.

Last edited:

FredC

Village Idiot
you deserve to be throat punched, ESPECIALLY you assholes that Turbo Tilt.

tilt5.jpgtilt1.jpg tilt2.jpg tilt3.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: SamIam and BIG WOOD

Mikey P

Administrator
Mike. Even the hard surface glide oversprays out the sides even at under 400 PSI. I know a few guys that use it and are just keeping quiet about it because their afraid of your strong personally. I personally think a spinner is better for tile floors and not tilt it.

What I do is clean right up to the edge with my spinner or hard surface wand, then anything along the edge that is needing some love i clean with a spotting towel and brush. I use a second towel to dry. Never had a problem with swelling doing this.

of course it can.

Did these guys adjust their jets? Tom admits his 12" works better with 80's on the ends but PMF ouldnt supply them so he said **** it, let it overspray a bit.

Rinse water doesn't damage MDF Damon. Prespray and detergents do.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
of course it can.

Did these guys adjust their jets? Tom admits his 12" works better with 80's on the ends but PMF ouldnt supply them so he said **** it, let it overspray a bit.

Rinse water doesn't damage MDF Damon. Prespray and detergents do.

MDF doesn’t swell in rinse water? I learn something everyday. Cat urine sure makes it swell.

FredC

Village Idiot
So the brushglide eliminates chemistry?

Can you just tell us what Marcovic said about your brushglide?

You know I can't stand the guy...

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
taken from a FB conversation..

Due to a lack of a talented and passionate workforce in the last ( I'm being generous here) ten years, we Americans are seeing poorly laid tiled floors everywhere. Weak/damaged grout is a common place as prematurely worn polyester carpet or swollen MDF/Pergo wood lookalikes.
I teach this stuff, I'm surrounded by the very folks that will someday soon write the standards for hard surface cleaning. I am also constantly contacted by cleaners dealing with these issues.
Im not bagging on spinner tools here, I'm bagging on the "Mark Markovitz" generation of lazy cleaners who wont use TACT to clean floors. The guys who always treat floors as if they were in a chinese restaurant with pH15 "2790 Oxy Master Blaster" and 1500-2500 psi, all so that they can avoid the Time and Agitation element to the professional process...
If thats you and my comments offend you, tough shit, you deserve to be throat punched, ESPECIALLY you assholes that Turbo Tilt.
Markovitz, the guy who claims to have invented the first turbo, has been promoting this bullshit for twenty years.
Why do you think I created my hard surface glide? Because I know for a fact that most grouted floors SHOULD and CAN be cleaned with just 400 psi if one uses TACT.
Think of it this way: Why do you rarely see cleaners online using rotary extractors on carpet any more? Because as a whole our industry has figured out that it's actually easier to use dwell time, our better modern chemistry, our CRBs and our high performance wands to achieve ( nearly ) the same result
And by doing so we avoid the over wetting and texture damage that is so common with rotary extension.
Well I found with the brush glide and using less pressure and TACT, and many many cleaners are reporting back to me that they're finding the same thing, is that grout is drying quicker and brighter. Why? Because grout just like carpet can wick and when you have a grouted floor that is saturated through and through with dirty mop water and you over clean it needlessly with a spinner, you're causing it to wick and the grout ends up drying blotchy.
Now let's throw in the fact, and you'll know this if you clean newly built modern homes, most of the grout being used these days hardly contains cement anymore. Do yourself a favor and become familiar with Prism grout from Polyblend. That's all we see out here on the west coast anymore in new installs. Prism and the competitors equivalents. are not even offered in sanded or unsanded anymore because it's so strong (when used correctly) due to all the polymer and strength building ingredients that it doesn't even need to be sealed. So it certainly does not need to be pressure washed at 1500 PSI.
Markovitz also promotes the immoral act of telling the floor owners about thier weak grout before cleaning, giving a quote on the needed repair then he self-fulfills his prophecy by intentionally blowing it out by using 2,000 PSI under his damn spinner and then forcefully upselling them on grout repair and color sealing. Rather than using the correct color of grout, he then colorseals the repair because he knows down the line, the color seal's going to fail and he can charge them to come back and reapply it. Yet another asshole that needs to be throat punched.
Heat is NOT what cleans grout, chemistry and aggitation is. It's not the heat under the spinner that is doing the work. It's the agitation from the high PSI. Prove it to yourself on your next tile and grout job, sweep the floor mop down your chemistry. Chemistry give it 10 or 20 minutes to dwell. Give it a light scrub where needed with a CRB or a pole brush or a malish brush under 175 and then use your hard surface wand and see if you don't get the same result at 400 PSI.
Obviously don't try this in the Chinese restaurant.
Quit cracking people's grout joints with high heat, quit turbo tilting and swelling their baseboards, regardless of them being cheap junk. It's not our place to **** up people's homes because we're too lazy to scrub and use a proper tool to do the edging.
Are there still properly installed grouted floors that can withstand 1500 pai? Sure, lots in older or very high end homes, but America's subdivisions are being built by a work force who couldn't tell you how many ounces are in a cup, so dont expect modern grouted installs to hold up to OUR abuse

I had to find your FB post to understand all the anger here Mike.

I see you had someone poking the bear there.

Still, you might do better not calling anyone out by name; that tends to get you more push back, and perhaps less support as well.

Other than that, you know I support this more measured approach to tile and grout cleaning.

(Fred C will probably find an intemperate rant of mine from somewhere in my past to put me in my place at this point :biggrin:)

FredC

Village Idiot
You know Fred, your ability to find everything anyone has posted about anything anywhere is beyond frightening.

lol...it really isn't that hard

and while I'm sure Mikey isn't happy I just thought it was humorous him suggesting a throat punch for something he has recommended

I don't really disagree with him on less need for the turbo........in fact it was my argument after a webinar we did where stone/tile was being cleaned with a brush and a wet vac rather than a turbo....

Mikey P

Administrator
Can you just tell us what Marcovic said about your brushglide?

"Just because you want it to work, doesn mean it does."

he would be evn more broke if he coulnt upsell self induced grout repair so of course he wont take a safe aproach.

I havent used a spinner in close to two years now.

Cleaning square rooms with a round tool just pisses me off now..

1649349733281.png

Mikey P

Administrator
but I understand guys like Damon (90%) of our industry who market themselves to price conscoius pet owners looking for deals to clean their abused floors.

I prefer and mostly deal with folks that clean before it gets so bad

Spinning jets are a distant memory, thank Gawd.

Mikey P

Administrator
When it comes to Mark and markovitz I've always had a pity claws with him where I put up with his bullshit which is mostly autistic driven cuz I feel sorry for his wife and I feel the industry owes him something but when he tried to make my entire group look bad at a Ronald McDonald House in Florida because of some sealer Haze that was left and tried to convince the hotel management that he was going to need to come back to the tune of $40,000 to re-clean and color seal the whole floor I lost it and nearly punched him in the throat but eventually I kissed him made up with him and continued to let him to come to my events but about 2 years ago when we did our first event at the iic building I saw the opportunity to do a little bit of color ceiling so I called him and asked him to send out his very unique at the time applicator bottles and we would show them off and there were a lot of people there that would have greatly benefited him if they could see his cool little gadget well he was all on board with it and rushed off to the UPS Store FedEx store whatever it was but when they told him it was going to be $70 overnight he calls me from the store and says mike you're going to need to pay for this what turned into a legendary argument in a Mexican restaurant will forever go down as the last time I ever did any favors for Mark ******* markovitz all I was trying to do was help the guy out and show off his product with no benefit to myself whatsoever and he started calling me Mike pay to play and it's all about me and the hell with you I'm not sending those out there if you won't pay for it so yes I don't feel too kindly or generous towards the ******* asshole anymore autism or not.

And then when he starts going out of his way to rag on my brush Glide without ever having tried it he gets to feel a little bit of my wrath once in awhile.

Not to mention the fact what he does to people's homes is completely unethical and if there really was a Mormon God he's going to burn in whatever hell they designate to their fallen few..

• Wow
Reactions: todg

FredC

Village Idiot
Can't believe your making fun of autistics during Autism Awareness Month :D

• Haha
Reactions: Mikey P

Mikey P

Administrator
They put this quarter round in front of all the MDF here at the military base and for the life of me I can't get it to swell..PXL_20220407_180413317.jpg

Name
jack zerkie
I was told the secret from not swelling it that ALL sides must be painted to slow or stop the problem. Front back and each end, Maybe enamel would be better than water based. jz

Reactions: Mikey P

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
for the life of me I can't get it to swell.

I can't see the end well enough.
But figure it's because it's real wood.
I don't know that I've ever seen MDF 1/4 rnd or shoe :headscratch:
(I'd "guess" because it would break too easy handling and install, in thin strips??)
All I've seen was/is either cheap finished foam, PVC or stain grade wood or finger jointed primed wood

and yes, Jack, painting all sides helps seal ...no need for oil base though, if that's what you mean by "enamel".
"quality" latex enamels are superior to oil in almost every way

..L.T.A.

Mikey P

Administrator
I can't see the end well enough.
But figure it's because it's real wood.
I don't know that I've ever seen MDF 1/4 rnd or shoe :headscratch:
(I'd "guess" because it would break too easy handling and install, in thin strips??)
All I've seen was/is either cheap finished foam, PVC or stain grade wood or finger jointed primed wood

and yes, Jack, painting all sides helps seal ...no need for oil base though, if that's what you mean by "enamel".
"quality" latex enamels are superior to oil in almost every way

..L.T.A.
Yeah it's either real wood or they are slathering all three sides and paint cuz it's in every unit and the shit MDF behind it and the few occasion that it's exposed is already swelled to hell and back usually from PP.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom