Over Driving Blowers

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Is it true that blowers can do more than what the specs says?

I've seen guys talking about running the blower faster than what the motor is running, if the motor is running @ 3600 rpms, the blower would run at 4100 rpms. The setup would be driven by belt driven pulleys, a larger one for the motor and a smaller one for blower.

Inputs.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Sure, within reason. Each blower has a cubic inch capacity per revolution (cfr) and CFM will be directly related to RPM.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
3600 rpm is pretty darn high for an engine, most air cooled are around 3grand, I would think one could go up to 10% over driven. I think its a pretty easy change just change out the pulley. get one that fits the same sheave I think is what its called. when my 18hp briggs finally takes a dump I think I may see about getting a 21 or 22 hp briggs as they are the same size externally I think, and look at overdriving my blower.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
15%

Did it on more systems than I can count.

Engines under load typically drop about 150 RPM if they're closely matched for the blower and pump load. So, if yours is set for 3,400 RPM, you'll get about 3,150. Overdriving the blower by 15%, therefore, isn't as much of a jump in terms of expected load as you might think.

At 3,150 RPM, the blower would be turning 3,622.5 RPM

At 3450 RPM (assuming that yours is REALLY running 3,600 until under load, then dropping 150 RPM), would result in 3967.5 RPM

The above won't make much difference if your system is choked- down in the inlet and or exhaust of the blower, BTW. Because a net gain in CFM would also result in a net gain in back- pressure or inlet restriction... or both.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
make sure the engine has the hp for it. It may overdrive the blower but when that load starts, the power may not be there to keep up that performance.
Some times underdriving may be more beneficial. When you get a load on it the engine can work right on through it maintaining rpms.

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
Ron Werner said:
make sure the engine has the hp for it. It may overdrive the blower but when that load starts, the power may not be there to keep up that performance.
Some times underdriving may be more beneficial. When you get a load on it the engine can work right on through it maintaining rpms.

and the whole setup will last longer.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
should you really be running one of those small motors at close to 100% capacity......

NO!

Name
Lee Stockwell
Bob you obviously have no experience with them, (and a vested interest otherwise), in practice they work best wide open to get optimal cooling.

25 hp Kohler is a bit north of 1500 bux and is good for at least 3000 hours. 50 cents and a gallon of gas per hour is pretty cheap.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Lee Stockwell said:
Bob you obviously have no experience with them, (and a vested interest otherwise), in practice they work best wide open to get optimal cooling.

25 hp Kohler is a bit north of 1500 bux and is good for at least 3000 hours. 50 cents and a gallon of gas per hour is pretty cheap.
never owned one cuz iv'e seen a ton of worn out and blow-by ridden engines that people get rid of to buy my units.........
i can build a PTO that uses .8 gal/working hr

Bjorn

more like a Yugo

answer me this

if your get 15 miles per gallon

and you drive it 60 miles you use 4 gallons of gas

how can you only burn a pint of gas from carpet cleaning for one hour

Name
Nate W.
Odin said:
more like a Yugo

answer me this

if your get 15 miles per gallon

and you drive it 60 miles you use 4 gallons of gas

how can you only burn a pint of gas from carpet cleaning for one hour

Answer: Wheelchair is on the oxygen hose again.... shiteatinggrin

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Burtz said:
.08 i think your full of shit old man

well old Betsy was parted out about a year ago......that's the one that we "special constucted"....and de-brained a 90 window van
and put in a small 302 wit a small boat carb which we de-jetted down....i only spun it at 1600...it had a chevy distributor wit HE spark....
and YES it did work hard for .8gal/working hr

you guys have no idea WTF yor dealing wit here......do you?

Name
Nate W.
bob vawter said:
Burtz said:
.08 i think your full of shit old man

well old Betsy was parted out about a year ago......that's the one that we "special constucted"....and de-brained a 90 window van
and put in a small 302 wit a small boat carb which we de-jetted down....i only spun it at 1600...it had a chevy distributor wit HE spark....
and YES it did work hard for .8gal/working hr

you guys have no idea WTF yor dealing wit here......do you?

Old Coot?!? Luv ya Bawbby!

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
we put THREE sets of rivited on quarter panels on that van and you couldn't even tell!!!
someone tell these rookies

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
NO not the blower stups....the van motor....i stepped the blower up a tad...i think Jimbo figgered about 1900???

Bjorn

you need to prove it boob when your not high

08 an hour hahaha with a V8 1979 new church van

Bjorn

maybe more like 1.8 gallons an hour

wait I hear cops

FLUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Lee Stockwell said:

My son in law has 7600 hours on his 25 hp Kohler. It is in a Powermatic, and it does have the simple engine oil cooler that may make a difference in life expectancy? Anyway, I think the model used in the Powermatic is about $2000 now days.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
Even at 1900 rpm your machine is only producing 200 cfm, Very similar to a 3.6 blower being run off of a 16hp engine running at 3200 rpm. I love to look of your machines, and I love the simplicity, heck Bob, I even like the price you sell them for. But in reality I need more vacuum than 200 cfm. Overdrive the thing, get it up to 400 cfm and I will be a customer for sure.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom