Owens Corning Basement Finishing System

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
http://basements.owenscorning.com/bfs/products/

I looked at a loss tonight which has this system in the basement. All metal studs in the area that is affected, no 2x4, etc. All the walls are the panels that can be removed and sit about 2-3 inches above the ground (they don't touch the ground).

The client had a sump fail (reason unknown and the water did not back up from the sump itself). The plumber "mentioned" it might've came from the foundation as they could not figure out where it came from. The insurered mentioned he had removed 300 gallons of water in 5 gallon buckets for a whole day on his own b4 he called it quits and saw puddling water in the area where they think the water came from.

Flir infrared did not detect any moisture on wall panels that I could tell.

What I want to know is if the wall system is salvageable and if anyone has any experience w/ this. Other than the wall system which consists of metal studs, plastic/pvc baseboards, and wall coverings (pvc/fiberglass), there's also just carpet/pad, over concrete, nothing else that got affected other than some content.

I'm just trying to see if it does need to be dried or if it's not affected by water damage.

Thanks

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I've not seen that system before. I like it, I have a large utility/storage room on one side of the basement that's unfinished. I was thinking of spray foaming it but was concerned about the mess. That system looks pretty good.

Doubtful if it's holding much more than ambient humidity, which is probably elevated. Mold fiberglass isn't a food source for mold but it could eat on dust if there is dust on it. As far as the exterior of the panels the fiberglass would need to be wet for it to be a problem.

If it's higher grains than you're comfortable with I'd dry a day and then check them. The concrete floor is more like a source from humidity and if water has sat on it for any length of time look for efflorescence wicked to the surface as it dries.

Reactions: tmdry

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
That's what I was thinking as well Richard, thanks.

This will be an easy out of pocket job I'll be starting tomorrow, real close to home too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom