paint and goof off

wired

Had an office that was just painted and the workers got paint on carpet. The landord was pissed and told them so. One of the worker went out and got some goof off and tried to get the paint up . He left big brown streaks in the carpet. Now the landlord is really pissed. The carpet is light brown and the goof off made it dark brown. He wants me to clean it. How would you get those brown streaks out. By the way the paint is still there. THANKS Steve

hogjowl

Idiot™
Proceed with caution. If the painter poured the goof off on the carpet, you may be dealing with delamination when you hwe it. Without a signed waver from the owner, I wouldn't do anything. It may become YOUR problem.

My guess it, without any further information, is the the brown streaks are either the darken look from the heavy oil residue left from the goof off and/or resoiling from the oil attracting dirt from foot traffic.

Removing the goof off will be easy. Just prespray and rinse, but to remove the paint, find out if it is latex or oil. If it is oil, personally, I wouldn't attempt it. If it is latex, a good pog should do the trick. I like Hel-Gel from VacAway.

What color was the paint and is it water based or oil based paint?

Carpet type , commercial looped or cut pile or , ect..

wired

The color of the paint is white and it is latex. It is just a drip hear and there. The painter tried to rub it out and made it worse. I would have no problem taking out the paint with OJ and heat but he made it worse with goof off. I told the landlord he should have left it for me to take out the paint. OH WELL/ I am doing the job on Sunday morning.

admiralclean said:
Orange juice won't work.

I swear by O.J. Gum, grease, rust, wax, furniture stains , ink , candy , and paint. Plus it floats limiting damage to the latex backing. P.O.G. if used wrong will cause a round loose spot from backing damage.

I think the extra stain was from transfer of whatever he used as a towel. my guess is the goof off prevented a transfer to the fiber and it may just rinse out with hot water.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Acetone, agitate with a spotting brush flush and collect, but Marty is right about the waiver.

Apply any liquid spotter to a white terry towel then to infected area or a sprayer as acetone will seperate backing causeing damage.

wired

Thanks for the advice guys. I will pour acetone on the infected area use a floor brush let dwell go out get some lunch have a couple of beers come back and rinse collect my check.

I would not do that . This would cause more problems from delamination.

Its always best to start with a lower aggresive method and then move up.

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
I hope you're kidding about pouring a solvent on the carpet and leaving. Solvents should never be poured directly on the carpet. The only exception is the gel types.

BTW the best paint remover I ever found is found at paint stores and is called Wil-Bond. If you read the can (it is only sold in metal cans) it says it is an agent that gives tooth to the new paint. Well guess what else it does. It disolves drips and smear of paint on carpet really well in fact.

Ken Raddon.

wired

That was a joke I would never use acetone on carpet. I told him I will do the best I can. I will start off prespray then rinse. Maybe use a water claw to give it a good rinse then extract. I did not create the problem . That should take care of it or at least make it look a lot better.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
what I've found works nice on paint, oil or latex, is Bridgepoints Alsolve and an orange gel, soften it with the Alsolve, then the gel to keep things on the surface.

My first thought about the brown marks was that it was paint smear. Apply some citrus gel, some light solvent as above, and it might just wash right off

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Steve;

Our Dynachem POG, or BP's All-Solv areosol will make short work of that paint stain.

Do NOT use gels; they slow you down and don't penetrate well enough.

Safest method is apply to a towel,
and then agitate the area.

Larry

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I wouldn't definitively say no to gels Larry. The Orangel from Zep does a pretty good job of dissolving the paint and keeping it from being driven to the backing once the Alsolv loosens it up.
I had used Prosolve and went through the tubes too bloody fast on just a couple of spots. That led me to try this combination, which has worked great. What I need is one of those sharks, something to break up the paint first.

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
I suppose if you sit there and stare at it a gel might slow you down but I've never been afraid of brushing it in. Seriously, Larry, there are times when a good gel is just what the situation warrants.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Let me be clear- I at no point suggested pouring acetone on a carpet for obvious reasons. What my suggestion is , typed REALLY slowly :p , is to spray acetone on the affected area, allow 5 minutes or so dwell, agitate with a spotting brush, flush liberally and repeat if needed. This has never given me any problems, is very inexpensive and quite effective. And be sure to wear gloves and a respirator.Or you can pull up the carpet, soak it in a vat of acetone and reinstall. :roll:

Was that clear?

Back
Top Bottom