paint everywhere

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
I looked at an empty to clean but the owners brother did some painting and there is paint splashes everywhere.

I told him i could clean it but the paint is too much a spot here and there is ok but not this much.

Since things are slow, is there something you can spray on the entire area to remove paint on carpet?

-JB-

Name
JB
Ahh yes the ole' epileptic painter!

theplitic.gif

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Joel D said:
I looked at an empty to clean but the owners brother did some painting and there is paint splashes everywhere.

Since things are slow, is there something you can spray on the entire area to remove paint on carpet?

no, not that will work without ruining the carpet
If over spray from a paint sprayer, yes.
a mist of citrus solv will get it.
But if splashes, dribbles and spills from a bucket, roller or brush, nope

if it's cut pile, many of the drips can be snipped off the top with you duck billed napping shears

if it's loop pile, you can't

anything aggressive enough to quickly emulsify cured latex paint (like xylene) will also emulsify the backing glue and delaminate the carpet, so you can't just pour it on. Saturate a spotting towel and work on it that way.

Gelled paint strippers might be an option
(never tried them though)

Larry Cobb will be here in a minute to sell you some of his P.I.G. spotter
never tried that either, but Larry is pretty predictable with his "well formulated" sales pitch :mrgreen:
(Sorry Larry, i couldn't resist)

..L.T.A.

Rex Tyus

Joel D said:

I told him i could clean it but the paint is too much a spot here and there is ok but not this much.

Laquer thinner a red pad and rinse away. Don't smoke or even inhale as the smokeing will send the whole place up in flames and if you breathe it it will cook your lungs. But it should get most of the paint out. use a fine mist and don't let it get to the backing as Larry is correct. It will cause some serious problems there as well.

Ohhh and I wouldn't turn on the propane burner if you have one either.

On second thought. Tell them replacement would be more cost effective than what it would take to get all the paint out if that is their objective. Cleaning is one thing. Removing all of the paint from a painted floor is another.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Meat;

Ours is a POG.

The reason formulation makes a difference is that:

Slow drying solvents have lots of time to penetrate to the backing and soften the latex.

Fast drying solvents will soften the paint quickly, and allow it's removal before affecting the backing.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist explaining that, to an 18 year veteran.

Larry

Greenie

So...Cobb says do the Rex trick.

I was thinking a 40oz. mini-pump-up with lacquer thinner and spraying a yard at a time, the red pad would indeed work, key word is fine mist, and small sections at a time.

Mikey P

Administrator
We did one like that last week.

We rubbed in some POG and Pro Solve Gel to the obvious/think spots and some Purple Power in the HF and a tan pad got the rest of it up no problem.

We lucked out.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Greenie & Rex;

BIG difference between our paint solutions.

I would never use an EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE solvent for cleaning large areas.

Use a solvent that is not flammable !!

Larry

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Acetone. Work small areas, wear PPE, charge a fortune. On of my fave jobs pay wise was 18 hallways (new construction) where the painters hadn't put down drop sheets. I quoted $1600, took 7 hours and the contractor was DELIGHTED. Even got a thank you from the painting contractor :)

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
does anyone else like the smell of lacquer thinner?

I hate the smell of xylene
but I like lacquer thinner ......

..L.T.A.

steve r

joel,

try a 175 with an aggressive pad like rick g's grey ones.just keep it wet with your prespray and im sure youll be ok.

or whatever you have to scrub with.you wont get it all but itll look a whole lot better.

Back
Top Bottom