Paint on grout sealer coming up

We have to clean and color seal 18k sq ft of tile that has a paint based color seal that is coming up all over the place. I tried to clean some off. It will come up, but it's a pita and it will not come up entirely. I have been told I can color seal right over the top with an acrylic based color seal. Has anyone her attempted a job like this? I would like to get some feedback.

Mikey P

Administrator
who told you that?

Do you have any idea how long that job would take?

I would never try and color seal over another unknown product.
More than likely the reason the reason the last seal did not stick was due to too much contaminates in the grout. More than likely yours wont stick either.

I hate to poop on your parade but I suggest you run..

Fast

Reactions: boazcan
Guy from Grout Perfect told me they seal over paint based sealers all the time. He said just clean it good and seal over.

I was going to rent a trailer mounted heated pressure washer to help aid in getting this stuff off. It will come up, but it takes time to get it up. I was told it doesn't have to all come up. Just the loose material.

I really want to make this work. 18k sq ft @ 2 dollars a foot is good money.

I could always do a section, get paid, and wait a month or so to see how well it holds up.

Mikey P

Administrator
how do you know its "paint based" and not acrylic based?

any photos of the peeling?

Is it coming off in crumbles or like a sun burn?

Yes I do have some photos I can post later.

I don't know how to tell if it's paint based or acrylic based.

If it was acrylic based it would not be coming up all over.

Yes I have done my fair share of color sealing and despise it, but it produces the bigger jobs.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
My knee and back hurts just from seeing that 18k number, but when you said you're getting 2 bucks a foot for something of that size, I jumped up and wanted to hire a full time sales men to go after those jobs myself! lol -

How long will it take you guy(s) to CS something of that size?

I have also not CS over existing CS, I would contact western concrete or another co I can get you the name tomorrow if I can find it, they sell paint removable products, I have a case of it in my storage that I was going to use, and never did.

Mikey P

Administrator
If it was acrylic based it would not be coming up all over.
\
Want to bet?

If grout is deeply loaded with cleaning agents, oils etc, even after steam cleaning the CS sometimes just will not stick.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Maybe try to remove it by painting the grout lines with paint stripper. You could possibly put the paint stripper in the color sealer bottles for fast application. Don't know if the methelane chloride will melt the plastic. Just thinking out loud.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
put the paint stripper in an aluminum or metal container and paint it into the groutlines with a paintbrush and a fullface respirator/gloves, scrub and rinse with a single jet Gekko...colorseal with a good sealer like ColorClad...my 2 cents :)

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Colorclad good sealer terrible customer service

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom