paying your techs

cleaningfool

I'm putting on an experience tech. He has 15 years under his belt. He can install and make all repairs. What percentage/hr. should I pay him?

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
i pay my lead guy 17% of what the truck makes..then if we have a good month i give him a 100.00 bill or more.
he uses the truck anytime he wants for side work as long as he clears it with me and puts gas back in the truck..
whatever you pay him make sure you have a little set aside for "that-a-boy" days..it is really important to moral.

If he is going to work with you then I would pay him hourly at 10-15 dollars per hour. If you are going to let him go out on his own, then I would pay him a minimum of 20 percent. If he is the sheet, then I would pay him 25 percent.

davegill said:
i pay my lead guy 17% of what the truck makes..then if we have a good month i give him a 100.00 bill or more.
he uses the truck anytime he wants for side work as long as he clears it with me and puts gas back in the truck..
whatever you pay him make sure you have a little set aside for "that-a-boy" days..it is really important to moral.

17?....for a lead guy....he wont be there long lol...I pay mine 20,25,28,30%....pends on how long they been with me. 30% guy been with me almost 10 years.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
cleaningfool said:
I'm putting on an experience tech. He has 15 years under his belt. He can install and make all repairs. What percentage/hr. should I pay him?

a cautionary note, just because he has 15 years experience, doesn't automatically mean he's worth a chit

If he does turn out to be a winner, pay him a "livable" wage if you expect to keep him.

a "livable" wage varies with what part of the country you live in

..L.T.A.

Chris A

Name
Chris
If this is a guy who's going out on their own, full-time, they need to make enough money to be able to live the american dream and buy a home. Around here that's about 40k plus decent benefits. You have to make it worth it to them to be out doing their best day after day.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Like Chris said, pay him well, through commission, and give him great benefits so that he will make a carreer out of it.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Damn and I would have killed to make 10% just a year ago, always fell a few % short. I suddenly don't think some of you are a-holes, now! :mrgreen:

Chris A

Name
Chris
Steven Hoodlebrink said:
Damn and I would have killed to make 10% just a year ago, always fell a few % short. I suddenly don't think some of you are a-holes, now! :mrgreen:

Had that not been the case you'd probably still be there, you can't pay for economy and expect perfection. Go work for Ken, his best dudes make 6 figures! :lol:

I would think with 15 yrs under his belt he would have a minimum requirement. If it was me i would expect atleast 25 % and at or above 30% at yrs end.

Ask him what he wants and then work from there.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
It is not so much the % as what they can make per day/week/month. If a business doesn;t have the volume it won;t matter what the % is.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Always go percentage...anywhere from 15 to 30 depending on production.

Remember to tell him that he is getting paid well to also keep the van clean, do his own redo's for no extra and keep up the company image.

Something that should be written out just so there is NO misunderstandings.

Employees are tuff, If he has that kind of experience, why not have him get his own equipment and sub out to him?....Keeps both parties happy.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
c_adkins said:
[quote="Steven Hoodlebrink":38b83bis]Damn and I would have killed to make 10% just a year ago, always fell a few % short. I suddenly don't think some of you are a-holes, now! :mrgreen:

Had that not been the case you'd probably still be there, you can't pay for economy and expect perfection.[/quote:38b83bis]

See, Chris gets it! :D

And most important... actually pay the guy what you two agree on

royalkid

Supportive Member
Name
Gulf Coast Carpet Care
davegill said:

Huh?? You let a tech go do "side-work"?? WTF?? Hello?? Does nobody else see a problem with that?? "oh Ms. Jones, your sister wants her house cleaned...no problem, I'll do it for $50 less than yours, just let me tell my boss i need the truck tonight"....WHAT??? I've never heard anything like that...doesn't make sense to me...but then again, you're paying your "LEAD" guy 17% (way low)...we start our techs at 20% reg, 30% upsell/late/weekend work. I would say he won't last long, but with his highly profitable "side-work", why would he leave.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
royalkid said:
davegill said:

Huh?? You let a tech go do "side-work"?? WTF?? Hello?? Does nobody else see a problem with that?? "oh Ms. Jones, your sister wants her house cleaned...no problem, I'll do it for $50 less than yours, just let me tell my boss i need the truck tonight"....WHAT??? I've never heard anything like that...doesn't make sense to me...but then again, you're paying your "LEAD" guy 17% (way low)...we start our techs at 20% reg, 30% upsell/late/weekend work. I would say he won't last long, but with his highly profitable "side-work", why would he leave.

Hell yes you let your techs do "side" work. Friends, family, self....If a job generates from your own jobs then NO, that is not a "side" job.
The rules have to be set but letting a tech use the vehicle to help others get clean is better than extra pay for both parties...

It also shows that you trust your tech and value his work.

Lighten up there sparky.

Name
Jesse
I have allowed techs to do "friends" homes on the side before. Quite often they begin to make too many friends. All of a sudden their doing their "cousins" house and it turns out to be the owner of a business you service.

Now I allow the techs to clean friends and family at our direct cost but we schedule it during a shift and it's treated like a regular job. I always check the property info on the assessors page to see who really owns it, and they better not be a past customer.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Steven Hoodlebrink said:
Those Stanley bastards made more than I did!? :evil:

I was talking with my cousin last night, who was a stanley hose-monkey for a while. He walked away from one job $500 richer! (and he didn't steal anything). For some reason he quit to go work in a factory for $10 an hour?

Name
Jesse
To answer the original question:

I pay $12hr + a percentage of the daily gross above a predetermined "break even" dollar amount. If we have a losing day then they only make $12hr, which is the least I think someone should ever make slinging a wand in homes.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Out Of Character said:
I have allowed techs to do "friends" homes on the side before. Quite often they begin to make too many friends. All of a sudden their doing their "cousins" house and it turns out to be the owner of a business you service.

Now I allow the techs to clean friends and family at our direct cost but we schedule it during a shift and it's treated like a regular job. I always check the property info on the assessors page to see who really owns it, and they better not be a past customer.

Like anythig involving money, it HAS to be regulated.

when I had employees, I would even cut them in for a bigger percentage if they aquired the job themselves and it wasn't a "Friend".

Again, has to be regulated...but as long as you are making money and the Employee is happy....and making money...then things are good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom