Payments over the phone?

Condog

Name
Tony
I got a phone call from a man claiming to be a realtor.
His client lives out of state and wants me to send pictures.
He will call me and give me his credit card information over the phone.

I have no idea how to receive payment this way.
I did some research, but there is too much information to figure what is the norm.
I asked if he did Venmo, he said no, but he does Zelle.

One method can provide service for $100 a month, another $50 a month.
Obviously that is set up for a business doing large volumes of financial transfers regularly.

Has anyone found a way to do these kind of transactions without paying large amount of money, or fear of somebody hacking into your account?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I got a phone call from a man claiming to be a realtor.
His client lives out of state and wants me to send pictures.
He will call me and give me his credit card information over the phone.

I have no idea how to receive payment this way.
I did some research, but there is too much information to figure what is the norm.
I asked if he did Venmo, he said no, but he does Zelle.

One method can provide service for $100 a month, another $50 a month.
Obviously that is set up for a business doing large volumes of financial transfers regularly.

Has anyone found a way to do these kind of transactions without paying large amount of money, or fear of somebody hacking into your account?
I take Visa over the phone or you can e-transfer me.

Condog

Name
Tony
Square lets you take payments over the phone for a extra 1%
I have Square. I need to learn to use this feature.
My son-in-law told me I can send them an invoice. They pay it from their computer.
I will check into it this coming week.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Quick Books let’s you send an invoice via email that has a link allowing them to pay on line. Or do as Mikey suggests through Square.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Interesting enough, It's been a while since I've had that text from the customer who's out of town, with 11 rugs that need cleaned and wants to know who my merchant service is so they can pay

Reactions: Mr Brightside
Name
Doug B
With Square a manual entry payment will cost about 3.5% + $0.15 to process. Factor it in your price. Make sure the same day option is turned off. Same day turned on will cost an extra 1.5% on each transaction.

Quickbooks manual entry will be about the same 3.4% + $0.25
Quickbooks invoice will be about 2.9% + $0.25

Reactions: Condog

steve_64

A lot of people around here not on the internet. I wouldn't be if I had a job.

There's a new dial up company starting here. It's big news lol.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Can they paypal or venmo instead? That's very easy to set up and minimal costs if you send a payment request/invoice though the platform. Build in an extra few bucks to the quote to cover the small % they will take.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
And make sure you have email/text from them approving the charge or work order so they can't dispute the charge and have it reversed if you aren't getting a signature from them....

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Also, get the payment before you do the job, and make sure to take before and after pictures so they can't claim you didn't clean it and dispute the charge. Not trying to scare you off from doing this, but I've heard many scams from the "unknown out of town realtor" where the cleaner get's screwed.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Also, get the payment before you do the job, and make sure to take before and after pictures so they can't claim you didn't clean it and dispute the charge. Not trying to scare you off from doing this, but I've heard many scams from the "unknown out of town realtor" where the cleaner get's screwed.
Do you guys not have e-transfer over there?

Condog

Name
Tony
I sent the guy an invoice on The Square app. They charged $4 for a $125 payment. It was in my account in 24 hours.

I opened the doors to my business about the same time as the last Mikey'sfest in Scottsdale, a couple months later Covid shut everything down.
I took the plunge and quit my full time job 3 weeks ago. So, I'm a little more desperate than you established guys.

A guy called me and said he's a realtor, and asked if I could do a job for an out of state landlord. 2 rooms, what do I lose an hour? Sure, I did it, hopefully this realtor/property manager sends me more work.

Empty house, gave me the combo to the lock box. In I went with my Rotovac porty.
Bota boom, bota bing.

I raked the carpet after the picture.

IMG_4743.jpg IMG_4769.jpg

Condog

Name
Tony
It was 2 small rooms for $100 minimum.
I showed them pictures of a rear room, they agreed to $125 to add that room.
Pardon pictures, the rug was on a carpet remnant on a room sized artificial carpet (lol), so the rug didn't dry evenly and was still wet in spots when I took the picture.
Everyone was happy.
Easy work, nobody peaking over my shoulder.

IMG_4742.jpg IMG_4838.jpg IMG_4804.jpg

Condog

Name
Tony
With Square a manual entry payment will cost about 3.5% + $0.15 to process. Factor it in your price. Make sure the same day option is turned off. Same day turned on will cost an extra 1.5% on each transaction.

Quickbooks manual entry will be about the same 3.4% + $0.25
Quickbooks invoice will be about 2.9% + $0.25
It was turned off, and I still got paid in 24 hours.

Condog

Name
Tony
Can they paypal or venmo instead? That's very easy to set up and minimal costs if you send a payment request/invoice though the platform. Build in an extra few bucks to the quote to cover the small % they will take.
Guy didn't have Venmo or Paypal

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I haven't heard of E-transfer. I'm not tech savvy either.
You set it up at your bank. For someone to send you money, all they need is your email address which is linked to your bank account. My bank doesn't charge any fee for that service. I have a job next week out of my service area for an old client, who is a realtor. He will leave a key under a rock or something. I will do the job and email him the invoice. He will email the payment to me and it will be automatically deposited in my bank account. I can also take Visa over the phone but visa has a charge to it. Talk to you bank about it. For me it's very easy. For people I don't know, I get them to send me the money in advance.

steve_64

Is your dial up AOL still working for you?
Gennys son is waiting on starlink to have internet access at home. My brother and mom don't use the internet at all.
I'm starting to wonder if Michigan is a bigger redneck state than Bama.
Screenshot_20210510-080635.png

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom