Peak blower belts change in under 20 min...

Able 1

Name
Keith
Well, my belts finally went out after about a year... they use to go out every 3-4 months before I converted to 2.5. While I was working I could smell burning rubber so I shut it down and cut off the bad belt. I was going to replace them on the job, but figured I would try and finish with one belt... It made it. Maybe you guys are doing this already but it beats the hell out of moving the blower.

That one belt looked pretty good yet...
081.jpg

Make sure you hang the inside blower belt first. Step the first belt over in the shive groove.
082-1.jpg

Step it over again..
083.jpg

Do with the second one thats hanging on the blower..
084.jpg

And your done, saved some money, and down time.
085-1.jpg

MerCrewser

Why do the belts have such a short life span? I have the same belts on my 405 and they were 10 years old when I replaced them, still looked the same. Maybe bigger pulleys would help?

Greenie

I wonder if running two different belts had anything to do with why one was toast and the other looked good?

Able 1

Name
Keith
MerCrewser said:
Why do the belts have such a short life span? I have the same belts on my 405 and they were 10 years old when I replaced them, still looked the same. Maybe bigger pulleys would help?

I have heard alot of guys having problems burning belts with the Peak, and I really don't know why.. I don't mind them going out once a year though.

Greenie said:
I wonder if running two different belts had anything to do with why one was toast and the other looked good?

I was wondering the same thing... the one that looks good was cracking looked like dry rot, but would have lasted a while longer. That tore up belt was the furthest away from the exhaust.. :) I hate when they go, what a mess!

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Temperature is the hardest on belts. It isn't supposed to be above 140 if memory serves me. Every 5 degrees above that drastically lowers it's life. Some of the BlueLines were going thru belts in less then 4 mnths because of high temps.

Gene

Farenheit251

Would the drastic difference in belt wear be an indication that one belt is pulling most of the load?

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Keith, If my memory is right those were two different belt manufactures and one was older than the other. Right?
Captain Cleantastic said:
Would the drastic difference in belt wear be an indication that one belt is pulling most of the load?
I think the bad one is the one that was slipping a bit and not carrying most of the load.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Shane T said:
Keith, If my memory is right those were two different belt manufactures and one was older than the other. Right? [quote="Captain Cleantastic":so18pfyq]Would the drastic difference in belt wear be an indication that one belt is pulling most of the load?
I think the bad one is the one that was slipping a bit and not carrying most of the load.[/quote:so18pfyq]

I do always replace both at the same time since when one goes it usually takes out the other. At the time I bought the last set, the first place I went to only had one so I bought it and picked up the other somewhere else(two different manufactures though).

I do check them for wear every now and then, but it seems they just go... No inside wear at all by the looks of them.. The thing that bothers me is the look of the "good" belt, there is nothing to show that it is wearing uneven but looks like it dry rotted.

Have ta see how these new ones do...

Able 1

Name
Keith
Ron Werner said:
had to change belts like that on my Big Red. It was the ONLY way as the blower was fixed.
You have to watch for stretching the belts. Gotta watch your fingers too!!

Yeah talking about fingers, the guy at prochem here turns the key to get them on!! :shock:

Ron K

Looks to me that the one with the larger cogs on the belt faired better. That would be the one I use.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
it helps, if you can, so that you don't stretch the belts. I had an old TM where loosening the blower just was not an option, so I had to pry the belts on and off. Best to get the belts on loose and then tension them.

Able 1

Name
Keith
gabtiger said:
does the blower have to loosen before belt goes on.

No, the blower doesn't have to be loosened.. The belt might stretch a little but I haven't had any problems with them burning out faster because of it.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
whats your time frame been on them now???

shit had this everest for 2.5 yrs, plus maybe a yr on them before i got it....

no probs look good...

Able 1

Name
Keith
floorguy said:
whats your time frame been on them now???

shit had this everest for 2.5 yrs, plus maybe a yr on them before i got it....

no probs look good...

I get about a year to a year and a half..

Weird you say that about your everest, There is a local multi-truck operation(13-14 vans) and they have had alot of problems with belts, but come to think it they never had problems with the old Nissan engine.. Now they are starting to run Apex TM's instead. I'm guessing you are running the Nissan?

FredC

Village Idiot
Able 1 said:
[quote="Ron Werner":dqvtgb4d]had to change belts like that on my Big Red. It was the ONLY way as the blower was fixed.
You have to watch for stretching the belts. Gotta watch your fingers too!!

Yeah talking about fingers, the guy at prochem here turns the key to get them on!! :shock:[/quote:dqvtgb4d]

d]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQhfcdQf1QAd]

hopefully kelso's demise wasn't belt related :lol:

CindiKlinkaq

hmm nice.... i em new to the forum information here is soo kool i was going throught the some information regarding this hope to grow and share what i have for you ppl! after all sharing is caring :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom