Pet Urine

Mighty Phil

Name
Philip Mathot
Hailing from Sydney, Australia.

After a conversation 5 or more years ago with Grant Baverstock, I concocted a reliable pet urine odour and stain treatment that I’ve been using successfully since.

Three ingredients.

Hydrogen Peroxide.
Whiteley FabriPower Plus (self neutralizing, non resoiling carpet shampoo with anti microbial).
Small amount of any alkaline powdered detergent (not necessary but speeds things up).

1. Do all necessary due diligence (warm customers of small but potential risk of colourloss, check substrate can tolerate water, etc)

2. Identify urine location/s. Moisture probe, UV light, your nose, eyes, spidey senses etc. Mark them.

3. For heavy contamination;

Fill bucket with very hot water. Add enough HP to get total conc. to 3%. Include 30ml per litre Fab+. Stir and sprinkle alk powder until mix starts to bubble from the release of oxygen by hyd perox. Decant liberally via watering can on affected areas.

Set up hoses and machine and extract with wand. Do a lot of dry passes. Residue will continue to work as it dries and won’t cause issues.

For light contamination, or wide spread contamination;

Similar mix to above in an injection sprayer without the alkaline powder. Crank truckmount pressure up to ensure you get penetration to the depth of source. 300psi is ample for wafer thin, hydrophobic carpets like the crap polypropylene stuff we get a lot of here, but a thicker nylon/wool or even a thick polyester may need 600psi.

By the time you’ve changed out to your regular prespray, applied and setup your wand, this will be ready to extract. Once again, what you don’t extract will continue to work with out any detrimental residues.

Phil M.

PS. You can add P-Lyme into the mix to reset the olfactory system for occupants. I prefer to post apply it so I can use my nose to check how effective treatment has been.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Hailing from Sydney, Australia.

After a conversation 5 or more years ago with Grant Baverstock, I concocted a reliable pet urine odour and stain treatment that I’ve been using successfully since.

Three ingredients.

Hydrogen Peroxide.
Whiteley FabriPower Plus (self neutralizing, non resoiling carpet shampoo with anti microbial).
Small amount of any alkaline powdered detergent (not necessary but speeds things up).

1. Do all necessary due diligence (warm customers of small but potential risk of colourloss, check substrate can tolerate water, etc)

2. Identify urine location/s. Moisture probe, UV light, your nose, eyes, spidey senses etc. Mark them.

3. For heavy contamination;

Fill bucket with very hot water. Add enough HP to get total conc. to 3%. Include 30ml per litre Fab+. Stir and sprinkle alk powder until mix starts to bubble from the release of oxygen by hyd perox. Decant liberally via watering can on affected areas.

Set up hoses and machine and extract with wand. Do a lot of dry passes. Residue will continue to work as it dries and won’t cause issues.

For light contamination, or wide spread contamination;

Similar mix to above in an injection sprayer without the alkaline powder. Crank truckmount pressure up to ensure you get penetration to the depth of source. 300psi is ample for wafer thin, hydrophobic carpets like the crap polypropylene stuff we get a lot of here, but a thicker nylon/wool or even a thick polyester may need 600psi.

By the time you’ve changed out to your regular prespray, applied and setup your wand, this will be ready to extract. Once again, what you don’t extract will continue to work with out any detrimental residues.

Phil M.

PS. You can add P-Lyme into the mix to reset the olfactory system for occupants. I prefer to post apply it so I can use my nose to check how effective treatment has been.

Good stuff Phil

peroxide and quats (presuming the antimicrobial is quat based)
Is a winner

only thing I'd add, if pad is below carpet, I'd suggest water claw when using the watering can flood
along with soultion hose side flush/rinse w/open QD on the end

..L.T.A.

Mighty Phil

Name
Philip Mathot
Good stuff Phil

peroxide and quats (presuming the antimicrobial is quat based)
Is a winner

only thing I'd add, if pad is below carpet, I'd suggest water claw when using the watering can flood
along with soultion hose side flush/rinse w/open QD on the end

..L.T.A.
Usually not necessary. The claw will extract more out of course, but after a few spots it becomes a long process and harder to get paid for it.

Reactions: Condog
Name
Swani
That's nice to be able to help.
I'm sure I'll run into the same situation.
I appreciate the advice, you can take care of limited income customers, while not giving the top notch care you charge other customers more money for.
Seems like a good idea.
My wife and daughter are all about baking soda and essential oils. I wonder if an essential oil is doable, or does that create problems?
I took a class an odor class from Legend Brands and I believe they said Unduz used essential oils for fragrance. They targeted women for the fragrance and it's supposed to smell like fresh laundry.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
2 jobs today, both houselots of wool, both pretty much like this.. 20191118_104920.jpg

and I run out of peroxide arrgh! 😡

Reactions: Mikey P

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
woolsafe says 8% (I think) which presumably is them looking under a microscope for damage with nothing but the fibre taking the hit

I normally mix 6-9% with a colloid booster and it will work on urine just takes time, I figure the urine takes most of the hit before the fibre

Condog

Name
Tony
I definitely won't get down to the pad.
My apologies, I was looking at the rinse post.
I got sidetracked and thought I was still on that thread.
lol
Got the grandchildren over and it is a noisy tumultuous mess here.
It will not get down to the pad. Not I definitely won't get down to the pad.

Mighty Phil

Name
Philip Mathot
woolsafe says 8% (I think) which presumably is them looking under a microscope for damage with nothing but the fibre taking the hit

I normally mix 6-9% with a colloid booster and it will work on urine just takes time, I figure the urine takes most of the hit before the fibre
WoolSafe allows up to 3% on wool. More than this you’ll get minor degradation of the fibre an potebtisl colourloss. Around 12% the yarn starts to felt. Much more than this and it turns to jelly.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
WoolSafe allows up to 3% on wool. More than this you’ll get minor degradation of the fibre an potebtisl colourloss. Around 12% the yarn starts to felt. Much more than this and it turns to jelly.
I'm going off memory, haven't looked at woolsafe standards in long time.
But pretty sure 5% is max recomended for zero damage with 8% as restoration level? Which I class urine as.
I see more than a few felted wools from my competitors who chemically accelerate it, if accelerating I prefer UV or heat which is more easier controlled than applied chems imo

Mikey P

Administrator
Does anybody who has a CRB ever scrub the dry compound on spots like this?
If so does it work as good as peroxide?

"Compound" does not contain oxidizers, just various solvents, which would do almost nothing to urine, other than remove the soil that's attached to it from Steve's brush roll.

Last edited:

steve_64

What do you all do for old ladies who have cat pee problems but can’t spend hundreds to properly extract it? Peroxide on the surface for stains but what about odor?

I’ve head Pro’s Choice OS-1 can be poured in spots and not rinsed as it’s an encap.

I have a job coming up where the car has been dead for a year but the smell is still there. I’m only charging the poor lady $100 but I can’t be doing sub-surface stuff for that.

She just wants an improvement.
I really like molecular modifier for cat pee. I use it on walls and baseboards. I've never had it stain anything I know of.

Mighty Phil

Name
Philip Mathot
Can you mix quats and peroxide?
My understanding is that you aren’t allowed to mix a registered anti microbial with anything.

The product I’m using isn’t registered, and I’m not sure it even has a quat (quaternary ammonia) in it. But it does have some anti microbial behavior.

Infact, up until 5th gen nylon, it wasn’t uncommon for detergents to have quats in them.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
you can note you've applied sanitizer, , but on a porous material like carpet, can it be called "sanitized" ??

..L.T.A.
the experts have mixed views as "sanitised" on porous vs hard surfaces.
But if you are saturating a fabric with recommended dwell and concentration to sanitise It, It probably should be binned, although it's not likely to have anything growing on it

I peronally dont push the sanitising aspects of general cleaning or use quats often

If I'm breaking out a "sanitiser" its generally WDR or mould (the odd mattress) and plant based before quats

*not why I dont favour quats, but quat binding could be an argument against? Like I said if it needs to be sanitised for safety then ripping it out has to considered as well

Last edited:

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I use SSS carpet sanitizer as a bonnet cleaner as instructed on the label.
Ammonium chloride
It says not to add anything else but wondered if peroxide would indeed accelerate it like using stain magic Ammonia/peroxide combo.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom