Phone estimates

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I often give estimates over the phone based on what the customer tells me. I always reserve the right to change the price if what I find on the job is substantially different than what I was told on the phone. Case in point, my first job today told me that it was a 2 level townhouse with 3 rooms, hall and stairs. I specifically asked him if he has his own driveway where I can park and run the hoses in from the truck. He says yes. I get there and his door is almost 200 feet away from where I can park. It's actually a 3 level townhouse with 2 stair cases. I told him it would be $75 more because of the added stairs and longer set up. He says "you told me $200". I tell him I'd rather not do it at that price and was about to walk out the door. He quickly agreed for me to do it. The point is, a phone estimate is just a guesstimate. You can always readjust before you start the job. This one still wasn't worth it. Took 2 1/2 hours.

steve_64

People lie or intentially give misleading answers. I'm hoping tomorrows 45 minute drive doesn't bite me but I told him $350 for 5 rooms 2 halls. His description sounded confusing.
Move in from a realty company.

Reactions: Cleanworks

steve_64

45 minute drives are common here. That gets you about 10 miles.
Ill go 30 miles 3 cities 4 townships or more. It is a scenic drive but leaving my house is scenic to start.
Most work is ten minutes 3 to 5 miles or less.
Screenshot_2019-11-04-19-33-59.png

Last edited:

AdamDumphy

Name
Adam Dumphy
I often give estimates over the phone based on what the customer tells me. I always reserve the right to change the price if what I find on the job is substantially different than what I was told on the phone. Case in point, my first job today told me that it was a 2 level townhouse with 3 rooms, hall and stairs. I specifically asked him if he has his own driveway where I can park and run the hoses in from the truck. He says yes. I get there and his door is almost 200 feet away from where I can park. It's actually a 3 level townhouse with 2 stair cases. I told him it would be $75 more because of the added stairs and longer set up. He says "you told me $200". I tell him I'd rather not do it at that price and was about to walk out the door. He quickly agreed for me to do it. The point is, a phone estimate is just a guesstimate. You can always readjust before you start the job. This one still wasn't worth it. Took 2 1/2 hours.
I've had that happen to me before as well. Once had a job scheduled as six areas and it was 14 with two sets of stairs. The customer was good friends with the companys previous owner and showed me the email he had sent to the office and the lady who handled the carpet estimates just really messed up on it bad. he had measurements and everything. I have no clue where she went wrong but she doesn't work here anymore so

steve_64

Mine ended up a $400 job. 4.5 hours from leaving my driveway till i pulled in. About a mile drive down a 2 track to a private lake.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom