Photo on RugChick website is an EXACT match....please advice

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
i picked up a set of these EXACT rugs yesterday. (totally identical including vinyl edge minus the velcro)

My client says the artwork in her house appraises for more money than the entire house is worth. I'd guestimate her house is worth at least one million dollars.

How would you proceed with the cleaning of this exact rug please? Urin soaked in a couple areas, smells like pee here and there.

Is this SILK or WOOL?

I could use guidence on this project.... These belong to some real big shots if ya know what i mean?

Please advice

CR-VELCRO-plus-stick-SILK-rug.jpg

Mikey P

Administrator
Re: Photo on RugChick website is an EXACT match....please ad

Are you insured to be cleaning this sort of stuff?

Find a qualified and insured plant to take that sort of rug to before you lose YOUR house over a $200 invoice.

Mikey P

Administrator

They dont need to know that you were not the one doing the actual cleaning if really all you want is their wall to wall or dirty shower stalls.

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio

Thank you mikey.

But I'm confident there are enough resources on your BB for me to do a kick ass job on these rugs.

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio

Hmmm.....

Good point.

Actually, I was thinking the pit inside my garage. Don't want to expose rug to UV rays.

I will seriously consider your advice and proceed with caution.

Thank you very much.

Anyone else?

Bob Foster

Why learn how to clean a rug that you have expressed your concern over how to clean it at the expense of risking any issues with a high value client. Doesn't make any sense to me George.

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio

What doesn't make since is for me to pass up this oppurtunity to learn from the greatest rug cleaning minds on the planet.

Bob Foster

I'll buy that. But if it was me I would absorb the advice that follows and still sub it out. Wrong client to play this game with.

What would be a really nice exercise here would be to hear from our rug experts a start to finish full explanation of the procedure from rug viewing in clients home to return placement of the rug. EVERY STEP, HOW TO CLEAN IT AND THE LOGIC OF WHY EACH STEP WAS DONE THAT WAY.

Luis Gomez

Name
Luis Gomez

I'm with you as far as getting advice and learning from others. But
the fact that the rug is urine soaked is enough for me to take it
to an expert.
Luis

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley

I would be careful how you get the urine out of that rug. Without seeing the whole rug I would say that it has a large flower in each quarter area surrounding by different colored background i have seen them flushed and the urine really show up after drying. when you return it make sure it is placed exactly the way you took IE each end where it was because the way the light reflects will make it look different......... I would clean it section by section with a hand tool and use a dye stabilizer for added protection

Name
I'm Rick James

Pre-qualify the rug?

Sure hope she doesnt "find" something wrong with the rug after you bring it back...

Bjorn

wow the technology of washing rugs is amazing

3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw94y4rke6M3]

3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj1Paxd1dSI3]

Ron K

George III said:
What doesn't make since is for me to pass up this oppurtunity to learn from the greatest rug cleaning minds on the planet.

You are on the wrong board for that George. There are others that cum to mind.

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio

I'm seriously considering Judson products for this job.

labs_logo.JPG

Mikey P said:
Are you insured to be cleaning this sort of stuff?

Find a qualified and insured plant to take that sort of rug to before you lose YOUR house over a $200 invoice.

I have a question about insurance and rug cleaning.

My insurance guy says I am covered if a rug is damaged in a wreck, inclement weather, stolen etc, but not from cleaning.

He says the same thing about wall to wall carpet. There is a care and competence clause or something that says you should know what you are doing.

So if I actually bleed a rug or rip a hole in one, then I guess I am not covered.

Is this right or wrong?

rhyde

Name
rhyde

Sounds like you have care, custody and control insurance I believe it's Baliees' coverage you want.

As for gorges rug i'll give a few pointers if he posts pics of the rugs but i'm not into guessing games.
This wouldn't be the first time I've had someone shoot me a pic and rug that looks exactly like this and it's not.

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio

Thanks Randy!

I'll probably post the pics tomorrow.

Much appreciated.

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner

The photo of the rug is a silk Hereke rug...about 3x5 in size, worth over $7,000.

If you pit wash this rug, you will OWN it. These dyes are fugitive - no dye stabilizer or lock solution is going to make this "safe" for a low-tech wash system.

The pet urine will make all affected areas bleed - even worse than without the urine.

So... it has urine in it (which by the way has devalued the rug already), so it needs to be washed - but washing boosts your likelihood of bleeding this rug more, and with the urine doubly so. This means you are up a creek.

I would have the owner go to where she bought it, and ask who is SKILLED in cleaning silk rugs. To learn how to wash rugs with a valuable silk piece is no different than driving into a cement wall... you WILL get hurt.

Regarding insurance - most states do NOT have care, custody, and control coverage (workmanship) insurance to cover damage DURING the wash process. In fact, some companies who have bailee's coverage right now are covered if damage happens IN the home, but not in their shops. (They won't discover this until after they have a claim.)

You need to ask your agent specific questions => If X happens, am I covered?

Keep the answers on file. Be sure you get them in writing, so you know that you are covered. And if they deny you later, you can use that answer to support making a claim on the insurance agent's own "errors and omissions" insurance.

Hope that helps,
Lisa

Burtz

please lisa

we now know the dangers

tell exactly what you would do with this kind of rug if you were to try and clean it

what chemicals and procedures would you do and use
of course after the proper paperwork is in order

how would you clean this rug in your shop

please explain how it should be done step by step

thank you

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Burtz said:
please lisa

we now know the dangers

tell exactly what you would do with this kind of rug if you were to try and clean it

thank you

Like I said Terry, I would not pit wash this. It needs to be done in a real rug cleaning facility.

There would need to be an acid soak for the urine and very quick wash, and I'd use Natural Fiber Cleaner since it's on the acid side so I would not need an additional acid rinse.

I'd keep the time between wet down to wringer to 10 minutes tops. I'd use a soft window washing brush, and the squeegee to rinse.

But if I did not have the roller wringer, I'd turn it down. The rug needs to be immersed to remove that urine, and the dye bleed risks are too high for a slower process.

Not everyone wet washes silks. I'm not sure what the dry cleaners would do. We don't dry clean.

Thanks for asking,
Lisa

Lisa I did go through various scenarios with my agent. Overall my coverage is pretty good and the price is fair.

I asked what would happen if my machine malfunctioned and the hose burned the carpet. He said well the carpet would not be covered, but if it started a fire and burned the house down, the house would be covered.

I guess I have been lucky. The only rugs I see are nasty urine soaked rugs.

Question: Why can't the water be extracted quickly off the rug using dual water claws etc?

Also when you apply a dye stabilizer, do you spray it on or mix some in a tank and dip the rug?

I just mix some in a hf and spray it down good.

Burtz

what chemicals would you use

so just a simple not too invasive cleaning

kind a spritz and dry

would it need to be badgered

can you show any videos that we don't have to pay for?

Russian sub titles

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow

LisaWagnerCRS said:
Burtz said:
please lisa

we now know the dangers

thank you

Like I said Terry, I would not pit wash this. It needs to be done in a real rug cleaning facility.

There would need to be an acid soak for the urine and very quick wash, and I'd use Natural Fiber Cleaner since it's on the acid side so I would not need an additional acid rinse.

I'd keep the time between wet down to wringer to 10 minutes tops. I'd use a soft window washing brush, and the squeegee to rinse.

But if I did not have the roller wringer, I'd turn it down. The rug needs to be immersed to remove that urine, and the dye bleed risks are too high for a slower process.

Not everyone wet washes silks. I'm not sure what the dry cleaners would do. We don't dry clean.

Thanks for asking,
Lisa

Exactly how we would clean it too Lisa. In the retail world they may have gotten an appraisal for that much but the 3 X 5 would be lucky to sell for 3k in this market.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton

George III said:

I'm seriously considering Judson products for this job.

Come on Guys. Don't be kill joys.
Yes, including you! Uncle Kenny and auntie Lisa!

You can see that Georgie is just itching to go at it.
He is an eager student....an artist of sorts....and that urine soaked silk rug is his canvass.

I say: Go For It Georgie!
After all, you only live once.

Just send us the after pictures please.
Purely for educational purposes :p

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow

If he is determined to clean it in his shop I would suggest he spray an snails product fist, let it dwell and then just flush with his truck mount. Otherwise let a rug pro do it and don't risk owning the rug. Any client who would sign off complete waiver to a non rug expert is not likely to be as wealthy as he implies they are.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio

here are the pics.

IMAG0384.jpg

IMAG0385.jpg

In this shot you can see a signiture stitched into the rug.
IMAG0386.jpg

the worst urin contamination is located in this shot (dead center second row of flowers from bottom edge). Fibers are stiff to the touch and stink like pee
IMAG0387.jpg

Another signature opposite end of rug from previous signature
IMAG0389.jpg

I'll let you all in on a secret. I already cleaned these rugs (both sides) a couple weeks ago on site using CTI's Step 1 and their Brush n Bonnet w/ StainGardian, then clear rinse with softwater, slot glide, 500psi and 10 flow greenhorn wand. Then, final grooming with area rug grooming brush.

She commented how good this rug turned out and pointed out overall appearance from several different angles. believe me when i say she has a very good eye as she restores artwork for a living.

Her only complaint is that the rug still smell like pee and the fibers are stiff in one area where the worst urin contamination is.

Please advice.

Thank you.

ps. Ken, according to Zillow the neigbors house recently sold for 1.2 million dollars.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow

It is wool, with at best silk highlights. Not from Turkey, but appears to be Iran (Persia) or a knock off.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

It's can't be that valuable to them, they let the dog piss on it. :p

I can't think of anything I piss on that is that valuable to me. Well, guess I do piss in the yard a lot and in spite of last years appraisal there is still some value to it............... for taxes! :x

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom