Placement of Air-cooled engines

Eric S

Many trucks I've seen always have a slide-in unit facing either out a side door or a rear door. I'm sure it is to work the engine but am equally sure it is to suck the fresh air into the engine to cool it down. But what if the van doors or box truck doors were to close, providing all exhaust has been diverted to the outside, and in theory, there are no exhaust leaks, is it possible to run a machine in a closed area?

I am looking at a Roto Rooter step van that is all aluminum, sides and floor. It has an on board generator, which I don't need but has exhaust ports to the outside. If I were to position the machine inside, what could be the downfalls or dangers by running a slide-in unit.

I would also have to redirect my waste tank and blower configuration whereas the tank is about flange has a hose parallel to the blower with an 18" hose. If I added a 90 to it I can move the tank to the side of the machine and not directly in the rear.

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Eric

G

You will burn up the motor due to the heat. Not a good idea. Water cooled you may be able to get by but why take the chance.

Eric S

more on this possibility

The side where the generator is is a large door that can open, but it is not as tall as the machine, but perhaps can draw the outdoor air in. Also or in addition to, the rear doors can be opened during operation but the machine may be sitting back about 8' from the rear doors. Remember all the exhausts will be directed outside, so once again what could happen?

Is there anyone running a slide-in in a step van?

FastEddie

Why the majority of slide-in manufacturers don't run liquid cooled engines to start with baffles me. I guess it's all about keeping costs down.

JohnnyV

It don't matter running the exhaust outside....You have to able to draw Cooler air into the area the machine is running in. Just the Air temps off of the Engine itself is going to heat the interior something fierce....Now a ducted fan blowing in the front of the engine from outside might work....I use an extra 12v auxiliary cooling fan blowing across the side of machine. From the front side of the van towards the backdoors. Thats not even taking into account the Ambient heat from the Blower and water pump and plumbing of the exhaust.....

(1)You would not want to run an air cooled engine in a closed van or truck
(2) It takes cool air to cool a liquid cooled engine therefore, you wouldn't want to run it in a closed truck either!

G

If you run a water cooled engine and close the doors the radiator will transfer the heat from the enclosed compartment to the coolant and overheat your engine. You can do what johnny v says put a fan and pull cool air into the van , you then will need a exit point for the hot air to go. A vent in the roof of the van with electric fan would work. You do need to move a lot of air.

FastEddie

I have a high perf 12v radiator fan mounted behind my TM up top. I get fresh air coming in from my liquid cooled 27hp while hot air is exhausting out. My overdriven blower is also cooled down by the fan. Works like a champ.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom