Please help Honor!!

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Last night I found a dog on the PetHarbor website:

Terrified, in agonizing pain and ready to be euthanized at the County animal shelter in Palm Springs. He was picked up as a stray on the streets a young, male, fawn pug with one of his eyes injured and hanging from it's socket. He was picked up December 5th. No one claimed him, no one adopted him. The shelter kept him for ten days without treating his eye or even giving him pain medication. He was in agony and the danger of a deadly infection increased every hour. Finally one of the shelter workers put him on PetHarbor to see if she could find someone who would save him.

I tried to call yesterday, but they were closed on Sunday, so I left a message and called first thing this morning. The girl on the phone said he was young and healthy and sweet and asked how quickly could I get here because he needed out of there NOW. I said I'll be there in an hour. I called our rescue and they agreed to take him and have his vet work done if we could get him from Palm Springs to the vet in Santee (San Diego County). We called the vet in Santee and told him he was coming in and they said they'd be ready for him.

When we got there, there was a beautiful lab mix being surrendered because he was too exhuberant and had knocked the tweaker owner's 5 year old down, and a weimeraner mix being returned because she did not get along with their existing dog. There was a chihuahua brought in to be euthanized because the family was moving and didn't want to take her. She was clinging to the guy's leg and shaking. Then there was an elderly and sick cat brought to be euthanized as well. It was so sad.

Then they brought our little pug out. It was so horrible to look at it made me cry. My husband couldn't look at him, he said it hurt too much to see him like that. He was wearing a cone so he couldn't scratch himself, and his eye bulged from the socket angry and red. The cornea was rotten, brown and sloughed away and the contents of his eye were open. When she handed him to me, he wagged his little curly tail....My husband said to please keep him turned the other direction in the car because he couldn't bear to look at his face. He sat in my lap and even licked my face. He was a young and beuatiful boy, probably 10-12 months old with fur soft like a rabbit. He was so happy that i would reach in his cone and scratch his ears. As his good eye would move, so would the horrific eye.

We drove the two and a half hours to the vet in Santee. When the vet came out to get him, even he winced and turned away. We all said that if any of us had allowed our dog to get this bad without vet care we would have been charged with cruelty to animals and rightly so, how can a HUMANE society get away with leaving this poor dog untreated and in agonizing pain for ten days!?!?

I named him Honor. The rescue is paying to have his eye removed and he is going into foster care and will be adopted quickly I'm sure. He was very lucky that the eye did not cause a systemic infection. He will go home with his fosters tonight. We are hoping Honor has a new forever home by Xmas.

The vet's office is taking pictures and I'll post them when they send them to me. Our resciue; San Diego Pug Rescue normally handles 50-60 dogs per year. Last year it was over 100, this year will be well over 150. The economy is causing people to surrender pets, especially those with medical problems. The rescues and shelters are overwhelmed. Please, if you can, send a PayPal donation to Pug Rescue of San Diego for Honor, or your local rescue or shelter. They are deep in debt and hate to turn animals away to die. If you are thinking of buying a puppy or kitten, please consider adopting a rescue. So many need homes.

Here is the link for Pug rescue of San Diego. Honor will be on there soon, within a few days. They are a non-profit 501c and all proceeds will go toward the vet bills and saving another life like Honor and the others.

www.pugbutts.com

I know times are really rough right now. But if you can possibly spare a few bucks it would be greatly appreciated.

here is a link to Honor.

http://www.lizardmarsh.net/2009/12/thou ... herry.html

I love you guys.

Take care,
Lisa

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
That's a great thing you do for pugs.Look for a pit bull for me, my lab is 13 years old.With the economy in Det., i need one.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
There's a ton of pits in rescue. Pits and chihuahuas are the most common breeds in shelters and rescues.

Take care,
Lisa

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
Ihad a brendle years ago,very good and smart. Sasha great with the girls when they were little.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Erik, UI work for an org called Animal Care Network and their sister org MAAN. We rescuse lots of pits. Please check us out and if interested I can connect you with an adoption person. Like Lisa's org, desperately in need of assistance (food, straw, $ etc).

Ken

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
UPDATE ON HONOR:

Honor, the little pug with the bad eye who was rescued from the shelter in Riverside County is resting comfortably in his new foster home following surgery to remove his ruptured and rotting right eye.

I've included a pic taken just hours after his surgery, it's pretty gruesome, but it will heal quicky and he will be beautiful again soon. I'm sure he will find his forever home quickly. He is a young, beautiful dog who gave tail wags and kisses despite the excrutiating pain he was enduring for all that time in the shelter.

Love ya all!

Take care,
Lisa
Sam-Honor.jpg

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Yeah, pits are plentyful in the shelters around here. People are scared off them but they actually are really loveable.

It sucks to see pets in that condition and wonder how they got it. Pitched in a few bucks

Albert

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Update! Honor is getting better quickly! He's starting to look like real pug again. Soon he'll be ready to go up for adoption!

Take care,
Lisa

Sam12-15.jpg

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
More updates on Honor / Sam: Honor (now named Sam) is doing great! He had his vet visit and is now off enforced rest and his foster mom said he ran around for four hours straight yeaterday. He is still wearing the cone, since he is high energy and very puppyish and bumps into things a lot.

The vet provided a picture of him just before they removed his eye, under anesthesia (it's hard to get the youngster to hold still for pics!). You can see how awful that eye looked. How can a County shelter, with vet on staff, leve a dog in that condition for NINE days with no pain meds, no antibiotic, no care more than moisturizing eye drops!!!! I just don't understand that!

Nevertheless, he is now healing, healthy and looking forward to being in a forever home with kids and other dogs to keep him drained of all that puppy energy! Knowing that he is now out of pain, healthy and on his way to a great life is the best Xmas gift i could have ever received this year.

Take care,
Lisa

Before:
PugEyeball008.jpg

After:
Sam1.jpg

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
My Mom would probably take him. When Leroy goes...her pug and other mix...It going to mess her up bad.

Greenie

Wow...Sam Honor sure looks much happier now.

Lisa does do a lot for the pug world, if every rescue had a Lisa or two, there would be a lot less suffering in the world.

I'm fortunate to have a good Vet up her in the Bay Area, she does (some) free work for the rescues and has discounts, and is particularly fond of the pug pack.

EDIT

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
That's cool, Jeff. The vet in Santee does work at reduced rates for the rescues, but not free. I checked at the local vets and they won't even discount for rescues....so I drive the rescues the 1.5 hours to Santee.

Yours must be a saint.

Take care,
Lisa

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
bob vawter said:
OK...you made me cry....

are ya HAPPY???

How ya think I felt? I had to hold the sweet little guy in my arms and stare at that eye while he gave me kisses. Mike couldn't bear to look at him.

You ever have an injury to your eyeball? I had battery acid in mine after a car accident. It left a slight abrasion....the pain was friggen excruciating! I can't even imagine what that poor little guy must have been feeling! No pain meds, no antibiotics, scared and lost for NINE days!

What's really sad is there are animals like that all over, many far worse. What's even sadder is there are children like that and far worse as well all over the world.

You can't change the world by saving one animal, but for that one animal, you can change the world.

Please do your best in these tough times to give to the good deserving groups that are working to help kids and animals live better lives. Even if you only help one, it makes a huge difference to that one!

Love ya,
Lisa

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
and how about those of us who live in the cold north: bring your pets in at night.

and on some days to!

R

rotovacguy

Nice job, Lisa!

He's a little cutie.....glad to see him get a good home. :D

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Newest update. Honor/Sam was adopted today. He got a new home for New Year! Here he is with his new family:

SamsHappyEnding.jpg

Take care,
Lisa

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
truckmount girl said:
Newest update. Honor/Sam was adopted today. He got a new home for New Year! Here he is with his new family:

SamsHappyEnding.jpg

Take care,
Lisa
that guy there looks lik a miny Mike!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom