Please help me keep an eye out for a Chevy W4500

steve g

Name
steve garrett
floor guy, not to hi jack the thread, I drove dodge diesels for 15 years, great trucks except for an '06 which cost me 7k in out of pocket repairs to get it to 95k miles, every suspension part went bad and some even more than once, the new trucks have the same suspension. bought a 2011 ford with the new 6.7 so far its been great and gets 20% better mileage than the old dodge. the problematic fords were the 6.0 models those SUCKED big time. the later 6.4 was a little better but chocked by emissions controls and didn't get much better fuel mileage than a big block gasser.

some people have great luck with GM, I haven't seen it, with exception of maybe a few buicks and oldsmobiles, everything GM I have owned or driven at the various places I have worked have been garbage.

Bob Foster

Couple of things though....

No A/C thathurts

The wheel base (C/A) are very good for a side mounted TM. Also its a W4 not a W3 - nice GVWR

It has a drop floor, so it has a lower ceiling and an easier step in for loading and unloading equipment.

It has the swing out doors that allow for door storage and a higher interior working ceiling because there is no roll up door overhead.

Side door is larger than many,

I'm dead serious when I say if that truck was closer to me I'd go buy it and I still might.

W4.jpg

somewhat amus somewhat amus

Connor

Name
Connor
I have an 04 w4500/npr 4.8 turbo diesel. 151k miles so far and original transmission. i had brakes replaced once in 06 and are due for them again. Former employee used to turn off the exhaust brake and pull a tractor without plugging in the electric brakes.

Last year the solenoid thingy that controls the exhaust brake went bad, but I replaced that myself.

I thought the transmission was going bad a couple of months ago as it wouldn't go over 40 mph and would over heat, then after it cooled it would drive 40 mph again. turned out the transmission filter was clogged. A fluid change and a new filter and it's been working ok. I think the fluid is supposed to be changed every 20k miles or something.

J

jimmy

give me a call I might have one you would be interested in 07 w4500 9000miles with a small box jimmy 661 618 8850

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
The truck Fred posted up seems like a good one. It has a gas engine that anyone can work on and most parts can be found at the local auto parts store. It will climb over the hills easier than the ud and according to jim Martin get you better gas mileage.

What is your price point you are looking to be at?

Do you want a newer truck or a low mileage truck?

Bob Foster

You guys that want gas engines in this size of vehicle because they are less expensive to run are sorely misinformed.

If these gas trucks are so good then almost all these GVW heavy trucks would have gas engines in them and the vast majority don't.

Why? Because they aren't as well suited for the duty as a diesel. Gas engines in these trucks have a really hard life.

If you guys figure the cost of operation of a gas-powered unit is less costly than the comparable diesel-powered units then you must know something that the thousands of fleet operations managers don't. Many of these fleet managers have literally hundreds of these units.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
Bob Foster said:
You guys that want gas engines in this size of vehicle because they are less expensive to run are sorely misinformed.

If these gas trucks are so good then almost all these GVW heavy trucks would have gas engines in them and the vast majority don't.

Why? Because they aren't as well suited for the duty as a diesel. Gas engines in these trucks have a really hard life.

If you guys figure the cost of operation of a gas-powered unit is less costly than the comparable diesel-powered units then you must know something that the thousands of fleet operations managers don't. Many of these fleet managers have literally hundreds of these units.

I have been saying the exact same thing, but I am a dumbass I suppose. when it comes to moving loads its about torque not hp, and further where the motor makes the torque, the diesel makes its torque normally around 2000 rpm, ie right snack dab where most of your driving is done at, the gas motor must rev to 4 grand to make its torque. never saw a chevy gas motor in an NPR make it beyond about 115,000 miles they were toast at that mileage.

the gas motor in the NPR was designed to move a 6000 pound pickup truck, not a 12000# commerical truck that carries the load all day every day in the city stop and go etc.

not to mention you get nearly double the mpg with a diesel engine carrying a load. gas motors and load carrying=dumb, how many kenworths or peterbuilts have gas engines in them.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I have kept track of every drop of gas that I have ever put into each of the carpet cleaning trucks I have owned...

the chevy van got the best but it took a beating with the weight and the idling it had to do running the CDS in this heat...

the W4500 does better then the Diesel UD plus the gas is way cheaper then diesel....

the w4500 has more power..better gas mileage..14,500 weight limit...the thing is built to work....
where could you go wrong......

the only real positive I can say about the diesel...is that in this heat..the thing was born to idle......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom