Plumbers and Sump Pump Systems

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
In my area was have a lot of iron in our ground water. We have an issue with iron oxide build up in the sump systems. A lot of our water damages are due to the fact the water can't drain into the tile system because its clogged with iron oxide. Iron oxide looks like rust, and depending on how much iron is in the water it can even become milky/thick. Generally $3-400 for the homeowner to have a plumber come out and power wash the system out. Its recommended to have that done every 1-2 years.

Of course this is just one cause for a flooded basement. It makes it appear as there is a fault in the foundation, when really its the tile/drain system.

Reason I'm posting this is; we know that a lot of time foundation faults aren't covered by insurance. I've seen claims denied because the adjuster thinks its the foundation when it had to do with the sump system. It may still get denied because the home owner hasn't maintained the lines, but its all in how you word it to the adjuster.Most of the time they'll let it fly because it does have to do with the sump system.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Wow that's strange, I've not heard of that.

We had a storm come through a few weeks ago that kept my sump pump running all night. I was thinking what if the power goes out, my finished basement would be flooded.

I had the plumber hookup a water siphon backup on my sump pump. I didn't want to take the risk of a battery backup.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Yes it is. I've talked to a few others from different parts of the country and they look at me funny. We have A LOT of clay and sand here.

I had a video of it, but of course since it was from a previous employers clients, I deleted it. I was at this flood loss for 8 hours extracting one corner until a plumber finally came. They blew out the system and this thick rusty crap came flying out. Finally the water stopped coming in, and damage was very minimal.

Its happened much more than that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom