Polyester/triexta yellowing issues

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I am doing research about a problem with polyester as its found in carpet, upholstery, and blinds.

Twice just this week I have had respected experts in cleaning contact me about polyester that turned yellow after the application of Oxiclean (tm) as well as strongly concentrated peroxide. (12%/40 volume).

This is not to be confused with yellowing from oxidized oil over time. This issue is happening after exposure to the oxidizing agent.

Has anyone experienced this on any of the textiles you are cleaning, and if so, what were the circumstances?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I am doing research about a problem with polyester as its found in carpet, upholstery, and blinds.

Twice just this week I have had respected experts in cleaning contact me about polyester that turned yellow after the application of Oxiclean (tm) as well as strongly concentrated peroxide. (12%/40 volume).

This is not to be confused with yellowing from oxidized oil over time. This issue is happening after exposure to the oxidizing agent.

Has anyone experienced this on any of the textiles you are cleaning, and if so, what were the circumstances?
Any pics?

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Oxidation can happen over time from exposure to oxygen in the air. I have seen many polyester window sheers yellow with age. Long ago, I think ti was Murray Cremer, told me that was due to slow oxidation.

Slow burning. eventually you could get yellow ash.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Oxidation can happen over time from exposure to oxygen in the air. I have seen many polyester window sheers yellow with age. Long ago, I think ti was Murray Cremer, told me that was due to slow oxidation.

Slow burning. eventually you could get yellow ash.

Thank you Scott.

These incidences where white, but soiled, then turned yellow only after the peroxygen bleaches used.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
How do you calm a Marty tantrum?

Here are some ideas that may help:

1. Give little Marty plenty of positive attention. ...
  2. Try to give old Mart some control over little things. ...
  3. Keep off-limits objects out of sight and out of reach. ...
  4. Distract him ...
  5. Help Marty learn new skills and succeed. ...

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Thank you Scott.

These incidences where white, but soiled, then turned yellow only after the peroxygen bleaches used.

MY point was that oxidizing is ozidizing. The speed of the process and the proximate cause may differ, but if oxidizing produces yellowing in one situation, it stands to reason oxidizing could produce yellowing in a different situation.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
MY point was that oxidizing is ozidizing. The speed of the process and the proximate cause may differ, but if oxidizing produces yellowing in one situation, it stands to reason oxidizing could produce yellowing in a different situation.

SEE Marty!

That's why I'm always nice to Scott.

He's smarter than me by a mile....truly

• Haha
Reactions: hogjowl

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton

Now that I've chastised Mr S....

I've some contacts in the dry cleaning industry and the textile industry. They tell me that strong oxidizers can damage polyester. I think we got into the habit of being brutal with olefin/polypropylene and we thought (wrongly) that polyester/triexta was as chemically resistant, especially to bleach.

So thanks Scott, this is reinforcing.

I have some data in already, but its incomplete, so I'm not sharing it just yet.

For now, be a bit more circumspect before you hit polyester with strong peroxide treatments.

Reactions: J Scott W

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Marty was correct that we both were telling each other things we already knew. I post under the assumption that somewhere there is a reader of this board who does not know everything there is to know about carpet cleaning. I can't recall meeting such a person, but I take it on faith that they do exist.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
The only reason to be treating polyester with strong oxidizers is, if there is a persistent stain that is not responding to normal cleaning techniques. Some stains, the oxidizer may not be able to remove but may still oxidize the carpet surrounding the stain.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
dont think I've ever had problem getting stains out of poly in residential (still cant get rid of the ugly) commercial has been different story where they've had multiple who knows what spilt on them or applied by inhouse cleaners

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I'm familiar with the surprise that benzoyl peroxide can leave for a carpet cleaner. No fun.

Back
Top Bottom