Pondering what to do next while in Aptos CA

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
View attachment 3894

Spending the night at the Sea Cliff then to the beach house tomorrow. My wife just Pondering what we do next before the great get together Mikeys Fest 10!

Thinking we are going to check out the VFW for now....

Can't wait to see you in Aptos CA!

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
Mark,
Your about an hour away from Monterey and Carmel. The aquarium is awesome. Carmel has a lot of unique shops. 17mile drive is pretty cool. Maybe have a cocktail at the Lodge at Pebble Beach overlooking the 18th fairway.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin

after leaving -35 degrees in MN and the last month of hell freezing over.....

I am surprised that you guys are not laying in the middle of a sidewalk some where soaking up the warm sun..............

Reactions: kingjoelking

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Mark,
If you're coming to S.F. on Monday 2/17, I'd be glad to meet you two in the late afternoon. Go somewhere and have dinner.
Otherwise I'm running a tight schedule (this winter's been crazy!)

I don't speak English but my wife is from Minnesota (though she won't be there to translate my sign language) :winky:

Let me know if it works for you.

Last edited:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
yva4u8aq.jpg

Left this on my neighbors porch today : )

Can't wait, supoosed ta b 60's up the day I leave

Sent from my toilet using CraPaTalK

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
after leaving -35 degrees in MN and the last month of hell freezing over.....

I am surprised that you guys are not laying in the middle of a sidewalk some where soaking up the warm sun..............

If we are laying on the sidewalk, would someone send us back to our room to sleep it off....or make sure we did thaw out... LOL!

Thanks Jim!

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Mark,
If you're coming to S.F. on Monday 2/17, I'd be glad to meet you two in the late afternoon. Go somewhere and have dinner.
Otherwise I'm running a tight schedule (this winter's been crazy!)

I don't speak English but my wife is from Minnesota (though she won't be there to translate my sign language) :winky: Let me know if it works for you.

Hey Ofer, would love to meet up....but I do have some commitments on Monday in Santa Cruz area.

I sure hope we get together at least at the Fest....and if we need an interpreter....I am carrying a note pad...:biggrin:
And it's amazing how a beer or 2 can make everyone sound the same :)

See you soon!

Mark Saiger

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge

For Sunday, take a drive down the PCH 1, down past Big Sur, maybe down to the Hurst Castle. For us Mid-Westerner's, that drive along the Pacific Ocean is a "can't be missed" opportunity. That was my highlight after the first Mikeyfest. My Son's and I drove down to Riverside to my Sister-inlaws and flew home out of Ontario.

PDES-SC

Name
Dan Crenshaw
For Sunday, take a drive down the PCH 1, down past Big Sur, maybe down to the Hurst Castle. For us Mid-Westerner's, that drive along the Pacific Ocean is a "can't be missed" opportunity. That was my highlight after the first Mikeyfest. My Son's and I drove down to Riverside to my Sister-inlaws and flew home out of Ontario.

North ... north I tell you. HWY 1 north of San Francisco is SOOO much more scenic, less traveled, cooler places to stop - far superior to heading south. Plus, it is a lot more fun - especially on a motorcycle, but then I am biased.

F

FB7777

I'm flying into San Francisco Thurs morning, how far North of San Fran on Rte 1?

Do you have specific landmarks?

Thanks,
Fred

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Well last night we went out to a great meal with Mike and Paula!

Not only fun just to be with great company, but also share in some of Mike and Paula's local vegetarian favorites.

Great dishes and sharing of flavors!

Yesterday, me and the family went and viewed and walked in the Great Red Woods that are just right here in a park starting in town.....just amazing history as well as awesome to see in person!

Today we are heading North to Atherton and then following the coast line back as Mike had recommended in an earlier post about the Half Moon Bay.

We want to get into San Francisco and also cross the Golden Gate Bridge as well as Big Sur while we are here.

There is so much to do here and seems like so little time.

This morning, time to walk the beach before heading North, see the Cement Ship and other sites....just so much to see!

We are going to make the most out of every minute we can. Visiting the board right now is being a bit limited, because I can do that at home :) but I am still checking in on all of the board friends and looking forward to everyones arrival at the Great Get together MB Fest 10!

See you all soon!

Mark

Our welcome to the rental home
2014-02-14095049_zps1016780e.jpg

Some of the great sights!

2014-02-14123222_zps24e7535a.jpg

2014-02-14123923_zps73231d53.jpg

2014-02-14141454_zps879f741b.jpg

2014-02-14141459_zps6ea06c33.jpg

2014-02-15141452_zpsf27351cc.jpg

2014-02-15141500_zps8298cb58.jpg

2014-02-15141532_zps75af7cbb.jpg

2014-02-15141547_zpsbacae778.jpg

2014-02-15141604_zps1da82c6b.jpg

2014-02-15143816_zps10ac103f.jpg

2014-02-15143826_zps73755409.jpg

2014-02-15143832_zps8448c98a.jpg

Last edited:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
i loved the Redwoods.......do they still have the tree that people can drive thru......and yes we drove our Vette right thru it..i remember driving it out on a tree that had fallen flat as well......we bought a Kings chair and a great redwood coffee table while out there!
cost a fortune to have it shipped back home!
truly a beautiful part of the country......

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Mark,

If you are heading north of SF don't miss John Muir woods. Beautiful drive. Being an old CSN fan I would also drive up Mt. Tamalpais in honor of David Crosby.[video=youtube;6Pn3M-KgTVU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pn3M-KgTVU[/video]

Mikey P

Administrator
Actually those are second growth Redwoods. If you want to see the few remaining 1st growth giants we have head to Felton just a few minutes away and they have a nice self guided walking tour at Henry Cowell State Park. The real biggies are much further north of us. I think I posted a picture of Paula and I riding a Goldwing through that tree a few years back.

Mark and his family were good sports about the vegan food experience. Good Indian food that Rick and Nancy should check out as well

Yelp up "Malabar Cafe Santa Cruz"

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
I'm flying into San Francisco Thurs morning, how far North of San Fran on Rte 1?

Do you have specific landmarks?

Thanks,
Fred

It's a long ways up to get to the good stuff but the two closest treasures are the Point Reyes Peninsula.. nothing but views and dairy cows from tip to tip which would be a minimum 4 hour excursion or my recommendation, just drive over the Golden Gate Bridge and check out the 2 very distinct vantage points on both sides of the highway ON THE NORTH END. If there is fog out you may not see more than your feet. Doing that would add an hour or two before you head down 1 to SCruz.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Mark and his family were good sports about the vegan food experience. Good Indian food that Rick and Nancy should check out as well

Yelp up "Malabar Cafe Santa Cruz"

It was seriously a great meal. We had great "Flavor" tour guides last night!

Mark

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin

We have been trying to figure out what we want to do this year for our vacation....I really do not want to go back up to Alaska again this year....I showed Tia these pictures and I think that we are going to get a place like that and spend a few weeks going up and around California....

Been to California a 100 times and never really dug into the back woods before....A really nice fishing lake would be great........

Mikey P

Administrator
We have been trying to figure out what we want to do this year for our vacation....I really do not want to go back up to Alaska again this year....I showed Tia these pictures and I think that we are going to get a place like that and spend a few weeks going up and around California....

Been to California a 100 times and never really dug into the back woods before....A really nice fishing lake would be great........

Jim the must sees of this state are as follows. A nice car and two weeks well planned and you'll never go back to that hell hole.

North Coast/ San Francisco/Marin/Mendocino/Trinity Alps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAwZ1iYJbhk&list=UU1Xye9E9xNGcsBAbXIC8yHw&feature=share&index=28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRwM0jNtr-k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcvyylEz_YE

HWY 395 corridor/Mono Lake/Bodie/Death Valley/Yosemite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAwZ1iYJbhk&list=UU1Xye9E9xNGcsBAbXIC8yHw&feature=share&index=28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8GtXfzQO8M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9gLFg8LqPE&list=PL14116E6DADFFAC30&feature=share&index=4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvjcbjvd95g&list=UU1Xye9E9xNGcsBAbXIC8yHw&feature=share&index=10

Last edited:

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Mike,
I am flying into San Jose on my favorite Southwest. I leave Atlanta and only stop in San Diego without getting off the plane. Pretty good for SW. What is my quickest route to 1 and then heading south to Santa Cruz?

PDES-SC

Name
Dan Crenshaw
It's a long ways up to get to the good stuff but the two closest treasures are the Point Reyes Peninsula.. nothing but views and dairy cows from tip to tip which would be a minimum 4 hour excursion or my recommendation, just drive over the Golden Gate Bridge and check out the 2 very distinct vantage points on both sides of the highway ON THE NORTH END. If there is fog out you may not see more than your feet. Doing that would add an hour or two before you head down 1 to SCruz.

For a day run, you also have Muir Woods, Bodega Bay (where the Birds was filmed, but not much left that is recognizable and someone lives in the school house now) - but a good place to eat there (The Tides). Like Mikey said Point Reyes, if you like Eye-talian food, hit Occidental and the Union Hotel. Lots of good stuff to see.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom