PORTABLE HEATERS

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I RUN MAINLY PORTYS , RECENTLY MY ON BOARD HEATER IN A POWER FLIGHT PERFECT HEAT PORTY HAS BEEN ACTING UP. IT ONLY GETS ABOUT TAP WATER WARM BUT EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE IT WILL GET HOT. I CLEANED OUT MY MACHINE WITH A LIME AND CALCIUM REMOVER AND ALSO FLUSHED IT WITH VINAGER AND WATER. IT SEEMED TO BE HOT WHILE I WAS FLUSHING IT BUT WHEN I GOT IT ON THE JOBSITE TONIGHT IT STARTED ACTING UP. I DONT KNOW IF THE ELEMENT IS GOING BAD OR IF I HAVE OVERLOOKED SOMTHING. I AM CONSIDERING BUYING A PORTABLE HEATER , DO YOU GUYS HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT THE BEST PORTY HEATER IS? ALSO WHAT IS THE LIFE SPAN ON A PORTY HEATER I HAD A COMPETITOR TELL ME THE ELEMENT GOES OUT AFTER A YEAR OR SO ON THE ONE SHE HAD.

Name
John LaBarbera
It sounds like it might have an electrical short, a bad connection. To really diagnose the problem I think you will need an amp meter. If you know what the wattage of the heater is (let's say 1200 watts) at 120 volts your amp meter should read 10 amps.(1200 divided by 120=10) if you sometimes get a reading of 10 and other times 0 it a connection. If it should be 10 and you get, let's say 7 or 3, that means that a portion of the element is burned up and you need to replace it.

With trying to sound prejudice (too late) get a Mytee Hot turbo 2400 watts of heat.

John

Mr.V

I have the Mytee hot turbo inline heater and it works suprisingly well.

Far better than a heated porty IMHO

I've been using it more and more and find it does a really good job if you let it heat up while preparing the job and seems to keep the heat at #8 flow.

it's better than I thought it would be 4 sure

Greenie

It is a pretty nice 4 element heater, those 4 cores, once warmed up, stay hot...pulls about 19.2 amps on full load so gotta have a bath or kitchen you can plug into, but well worth it.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Turn of your caps please. I have 2 Kleenrite heaters, both with a 2000 watt main and an auxiliary at 1250 watts. Lots of piping hot water, great recovery times and I am quite impressed. I ran both in line once at a job that only had cold water - worked like a charm. The trade off was going to 02 jets, lower flow rate, but the bonus was longer sustained heat and higher impact as the Pumptec pump I had was dropping at least 200 psi when keyed. The smaller jets seem to only give me a drop of about 120 psi.

I'm going to commission John to build my next machine. It'll be the bees knees. :D

This is the single cord 2000 watt.
heatrite_small.jpg

Oh- Always buy inline heaters. Internals are a pain in the a$$.

Greenie

Good point Willy, internals add weight, complication, and heat to the body and components.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Greenie said:
Good point Willy, internals add weight, complication, and heat to the body and components.
I had a Hypro pump blow chunks on me once in 7 months, mostly because of the useless internal heater. On top of that, if you lost the prime, the pump cavitated all day long. Lesson learned. I really like it when I can go 7500 watts, but so does the power company. :shock:

R

rotovacguy

Willy P said:
Greenie said:
I had a Hypro pump blow chunks on me once in 7 months, mostly because of the useless internal heater. On top of that, if you lost the prime, the pump cavitated all day long. Lesson learned. I really like it when I can go 7500 watts, but so does the power company. :shock:

Wow.....geez, do the lights dim when you turn that baby on! :)

I was looking at the volcano units from Steambrite. My only problem, other than the fact they use a TON of juice, is if the custy doesn't have an electric dryer, you're pretty much SOL. That's why I was looking at the Kleenrite, they use standard power and IF the custy has an electric range or dryer, I can tap into that with my 220 volt adapters. If not, at least you can still get SOME heat from separate circuits.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
rotovacguy said:
Willy P said:
Greenie said:

Wow.....geez, do the lights dim when you turn that baby on! :)

I was looking at the volcano units from Steambrite. My only problem, other than the fact they use a TON of juice, is if the custy doesn't have an electric dryer, you're pretty much SOL. That's why I was looking at the Kleenrite, they use standard power and IF the custy has an electric range or dryer, I can tap into that with my 220 volt adapters. If not, at least you can still get SOME heat from separate circuits.

Not often you can find the 7 plugs needed for a full set up, buy it's great when you can. I looked at the Volcano units too, but the same issues arise. If you do go with the Kleenrite, get the dual element as you can run just 2000 if power is a concern and the kicker element is great when you can put it to work.

Greenie

How about a compact 4000w heater that runs two 120v cords, none of that dryer stuff just regular cords?
Would be good for TM guys too that were looking for a "boost" but didn't want propane, 4000w can give quite a return on investment.

R

rotovacguy

Greenie said:
How about a compact 4000w heater that runs two 120v cords, none of that dryer stuff just regular cords?
Would be good for TM guys too that were looking for a "boost" but didn't want propane, 4000w can give quite a return on investment.

I agree, I hate messing around with the dryer cords. Even if someone didn't mind doing the converters, not every customer has electric power like that to tap into. A lot of my custy's have gas, so a heater requiring an electric dryer would be obsolete. Especially up here in Wisconsin this time of year, every little bit helps.

4000 watts on 2 cords would be cool, but do it in ONE UNIT! I realize you could get 2 mytee's, either 2 of the 2000 watt units, or 2 of the 2400 watt units, but then you have 2 more pieces of equipment to move.

Greenie, I like that idea......maybe John from Mytee can put something like that together.

steve r

not sure what you mean by dryer cords but i use 12 gauge cords at a 20 amp circuit. if i reduce to 14 gauge my machine will barely run no matter what lenght of cord. anyone using electric should try using the 12 gauge it makes a huge difference.

also use kitchen outlets they are usually 20 amps not 15 like in a living room or hall.

Greenie

Steve....Most Bane guys aren't familiar with the whole high amp draw stuff, the "dryer cord" crowd refers to a converter box that will convert a 30amp 220v dryer plug into two 20 amp 110v plugs, which is a lot of elec. power in one spot IF you can make use of it.
There are even some "garage" built set ups that can squeeze 4 - 110v (15amp) plugs from one 220v but they technically aren't safe and you'll never see one sold.

Name
Jesse
I don't get you guys with all your cords, I seen a truckmount and van for sale today, it was all electric. 4 vac motors, and a pump run from 1 cord, no joke.

$1000 cash takes it home today.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom