Portable Shootout criteria.

Mikey P

Administrator
Here is my list of things I want to see tested/reviewed.

Please add what you think is missing

Vac performance.
Portability/ease of movement.
Fit and finish
Quality of individual components and fittings.
Water Capacity
Perceived durability
Ease of maintenance
Adequate water flow/pressure
Price/value

Greenie

u said ease of movement, I'm thinking more ergonomics, comfort, and access for repairs and maintenance, I don't want to have to unscrew 12 cross threaded screws to change a vacuum motor, or spot a loose hose clamp.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Greenie said:
u said ease of movement, I'm thinking more ergonomics, comfort, and access for repairs and maintenance, I don't want to have to unscrew 12 cross threaded screws to change a vacuum motor, or spot a loose hose clamp.

You know, JiMmY was right a long time ago about the Dirt Invader for ease of movement. Tiny recovery tank though, unless you go to the 13 gallon add on option. I'm envisioning 16 or 20 inch bicycle wheels on the ass end,and a component system. I think I need to talk with my engineer buddy and scheme up the perfect porty. If I build it , will they come :?:

http://dirtinvader.com/portability.html

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Willy;

I had many conversations with original owner of the Dirt Invader here in Dallas.

We both agreed on the design incorporating the 20" wheels for portability.

However, when we had the machine side by side on our showroom here in Dallas...
the buyers overwhelmingly chose the Ninja extractor.

The choice was made due to the higher cost of limited production for the Dirt Invader.

Good ideas are not always accepted by the buying public.

Power & Durability are the two most important attributes for a portable extractor, in my opinion.

Larry

ACD

One thing that has been a factor for me up here in Maine is Amp draw. A lot of older homes are still running 60 amp breaker panels and my Truck Force (old style) will trip breakers like it's an Olympic event. If I need to bring a generator I'm using the truck mount.

Aaron

ACD

In my shop (which is where I primarily use the Truck Force for area rug cleaning) I do have dedicated 20 amp circuits. On rare occasions when I take it out on a job it becomes a problem. Usually the houses in question are small cottages, may or may not have a 230V dryer or stove, and if they do it's built in and a PIA to get to the plug. With only 60 amp total available the home is already drawing to much power to support the machine. I usally unplug stuff while I'm working and plug it back in when done. Let's not even start about the old two-prong non grounded outlets. Hate those. Adapters always cause the cord to fall out of the outlet.

Aaron

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Larry Cobb said:
Willy;

I had many conversations with original owner of the Dirt Invader here in Dallas.

We both agreed on the design incorporatingthe 20" wheels for portability.

The choice was made due to the higher cost of limited production for the Dirt Invader.

Power & Durability are the two most important attributes for a portable extractor, in my opinion.

Larry
I'll Have to second Larry.
Power and durability are number one
I'll also add that low amp draw is a huge plus for me, assuming that power remains the same.
The rest is fluff.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Larry Cobb said:
Willy;

We both agreed on the design incorporatingthe 20" wheels for portability.

Larry

The Steambrite enterprise has pretty good components, but that has to be the ugliest machine I have ever seen. It looks like someone raided the pantry and took the cooking pots. I'm seriously thinking about building my own as I know what I want in components, how I want it configured and if it can be done with large soup pots...... :D Or I have a buddy that's a metal fabricator by trade.
Amp draw is what it is and that's why I like the idea of components. 2 cords and it's a killer with a General pump and 2 two stages, 3 cords will power a monster portable with 2 more 2 stages, but in most cases you'll have to go to fuel powered heating, unless you want to find at least 2 more circuits. Amp draw always stymies my creativity. :wink:

Brett

If you have time, I'd like to see you take off the small restrictive filters that come with the machines and throw on an external TM type if available. Gotta be some gain with a larger flowing filter. I know manufacturers have to supply something, but if there is a big enough difference, they might start mounting larger filters on the outside of the machine.

Back
Top Bottom