Portable TM

DoubleAA

How many of you guys are using, or have used a high powered portable system, such as the Recoil as a truckmount. I've heard you can keep the whole system in the van and use a generator to power it and propane for heat. Then by adding additional solution and recovery tanks you can be fully set-up from the vehicle supposedly up to 150 feet.

From someone who is using a portable everyday, in/out of the vehicle, up/down stairs filling/dumping/refilling...etc this system sound very interesting and much less costly than even an entry level TM...BUT I know theres pros & cons to everything, so I was hoping for more info on this type of set-up from those of you in the know.

Thanks again, this board continues to be a great help to me!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
D-AA, they're called "portables" for a reason.

when you mention all the other options, heater, pump outs, generator, etc, how much will it set you back for "just a PORTY"?

..L.T.A.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
a re-soil from da truck is still a portable kind of a make believe truck mount

I got a genie you can buy real cheap

Greenie

Just pimp your Mytee. Which one ya got.
I have two coming into the shop this week for an overhaul, might make Lisa a three cord machine cause she wants a super sucker back at the house.

ErikG

Yes you can that set about 6000 grand plus a van .I see your new here , Most guys in here are tell you not waste your money when you can or might find a piece of $hiz TM for as low as 3500 to 90,000 on the high end. 90 % of guys here use TM there so nice about our portys. I have a power flight that does the job and im currently working a deal for a used recoil now. Ricky will answering soon maybe he will show you the pics of runing 200 ft on his recoil. Good luck

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
yous dreaming there little boy aint no way no how

juzt tells santa you want a genie

DoubleAA

well for around 5k brand new, with no monthly payments, and low maintenance/repair costs compared to a 15k entry level tm...it's hard not to atleast consider.

BTW Bob, I'm not really concerned about whats considered a real or make believe truckmount...as long as it cleans the carpet effeciently well, looks professional, makes my job easier, and puts money in my pocket...oh and doesnt set me back $15k.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
i am going to be setting up my masterblend truckforce 3500 in my van soon, it will be powered by a generator and i am hoping to have it up and going in about a month, i will take pics when im done. i have most figured out. but i am making mine so it can be removed quickly for those really limited jobs.

DoubleAA

Odin, you may want to re-read the post to see whose coming across with a chip...I'm asking for advice about an alternative option that many others may be intersted in here...not about some fairy tale idea I conjured up.

Hey, thanks for the info C&S...I'd like to hear more about how your system goes once your set up.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
and you will be able to say, " I can clean just as good as a TM, it just takes me longer and the carpets take longer to dry"

you will get no where without Rickie's secret sauce for that recoil, hope he tells you what it is because I am still waiting to find out

if that is all you can afford then buy what you can get

well for around 5k brand new, with no monthly payments, and low maintenance/repair costs compared to a 15k entry level tm...it's hard not to atleast consider.

no, not really

I use a portable for high rise work, there is no comparision if you are comparing a TM to a portable. If you buy all the other stuff like a vac booster, heater, auto fill and dump, etc, then you have an argument but a lot of hassle

If you say a portable at 35' f hose is better then low end TM at 200' of hose then you might have an argument

my opinion is why bother, it isn't going to make your job any easier. One reason I feel they leave it in the van is because if you drag all that crap into the house you then you won't look professional. You just gonna be the $9.95 per room portable guy

one question I would have is if you are going to buy a TM what are you going to charge?
f you buy the portable what price are you going to charge?

I m willing bet that you will charge a lower price if you use the portable, so what is your real question yuo need to ask

Greenie

Just for the record, I think there is still a used Judson TNT for sale in the SwapMeAt room, $5,000
In case some aren't familiar: 18hp, #4 blower, 120,000btu propane heater, 120 gal stainless waste tank, cat pump.
and I think teh dude is including a used Cimex in the deal.

In case you missed that....it's a hell of a deal for 5 Gs.

Quite a step up from a porty.

EDIT: If you primarily use a porty, you should be charging MORE, not less, it's more work for u.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
AAron, it may be true what Erick said that most of us run TMs, but i don't think we're "anti" porty

just that you're considering spending all that money and it will still and always be a porty with porty performance.
Even the best portys have their limits.
If you can afford to buy a porty, buy a porty and use it as it's itended..as a porty, not a TM

I don't care who tells you they can run 150 to 200 off a porty.
The more hose, the less suck on the end of the wand.

I'd like to see Rickie, or any of the "TM porty" guys lay out 150ft to a finished basement/rec-room as see how great it is

Personally, i think a better option over a plastic porty pretending to be a TM would be a Bane TM.
They're built like tanks, very reliable, quiet, and there's LOTS of good used ones on the market.
I bet one of those could fit your budget

..L.T.A.

DoubleAA

Again, I'm not trying to "pretend" I have a truckmount, I'm trying to make my job easier, with low overhead etc...hence the consideration of this option. This is only my 7th month in the industry, and 150 jobs later I'm ready to upgrade from the hassle of using a portable...not so much the performance of a portable. If I could have a truckmounted version of what I'm using right now I'd be much happier and way less tired at the end of the day.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
DoubleAA said:
Again, I'm not trying to "pretend" I have a truckmount, I'm trying to make my job easier, with low overhead etc..

I can dig that Aaron, that's why I mentioned the Bane TM.

you're aware that propane isn't free
and generators need gas to run
so your operating costs have went up.
You'll gain some efficiency, but some of that will lost to poor performance at long hose runs

Call Odin, that's his electric TM. tell him your poor, but have cash and see what he can do for you

Or, find a used Bane TM and call Odin for some pimp mod advise

trust me

..L.T.A.

ErikG

Hey guys im about 2-3 hours away from Ricky here in Florida . We dont have basements and were at sea level unless were going up stairs in a home 18 ft above from sea level.

DoubleAA

Larry, I appreciate your advice...I'm going to look into the Bane Truckmounts you mentioned.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Put a truckmount on a "No Interest" cc and don't except failure... EVER

Did I say EVER?

Tm's will be more productive,more efficent and the whole "can I fill up from your bathtub and dump in your toilet" thing :roll:

Go for what you want and never look back!

Some probably will tell you this is terrible advice but it works if you REALLY WANT it!

I did it!

Did I ever mention never give up! (unless your a pussy then just give up!)

Good luck!

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
Hey guys im about 2-3 hours away from Ricky here in Florida . We dont have basements and were at sea level unless were going up stairs in a home 18 ft above from sea level.

And you are bragging about it?

So do you know what the dry cleaner secret sauce is? I can't sleep at night, I have to know what it is :shock:

G

You guys crack me up; any way, The Recoil XPS 500 psi machine, 200 feet of hose, a propane heater, powerhead wand, and auto dump/fill will do nicely for ya; and yes their are more powerful and expensive alternatives. If your limit is budge; then yes I recommend a Recoil; it does the job at lost cost with t/m results; that is all that matters to custy, plus you won't have a large monthly payment to contend with and expensive upkeep/breaks.

And yes I do long hose runs with same results; and the freedom on quick jobs to drag out hose run a generator or like in apartment contracts run cords and run from land power. Their are many guys here Like Greenie and Odin that are very knowledgeable and powerhouse pro's.

My website show result pic's; and if you need further answer give me a call.

P.S. I love you guys!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh yeah; has anyone mentioned the fact that 300 cfm is about what the 33/36 blower produce.

Jay D

Name
Jay D
My pog friend bought a Recoil 3ht and i used it one day. 100ft of hose at my church. still cleaned like a portable at that distance. But don't let anyone kid you it still cleans like a portable. If you tried even a entry level spitfire you would be amazed at the difference in cleaning WOW. if you do anything buy a inline vacuum booster and increase vac so you can run 50-100 ft with the portable you have then buy that truckmount later. That way you can leave it in bathroom in the house to dump and fill all day. :roll:

G

Aaron; it was great talking to ya this morning; I hope the info I gave ya was helpful in making your decision. Whatever way you choose to go in your selection I wish you well. Sounds like you have a good plan for the future; just stick to it and everything will work out.

Also; utilize the Boards because we all combined have a wealth of knowledge to pick from our brains. God bless you and your family; and Merry Christmas.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I used a vapor steamer on my carpets once and got TM results with a micro fiber cloth and no vacuum :shock:

I think my pro team back pack has 100" of lift and 150 CFM at 6' of hose

DoubleAA

Hey Rickie...Thanks man! I enjoyed talking to you also. I appreciate all the info and encouragement. Merry Christmas to you and your family as well.

Take care

Aaron

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom