post card marketing

Rob Lyon

Name
Rob Lyon
I just wanted to get some feedback on postcard marketing, I am thinking
of starting this in the spring when I get my new truckmount. I had a
pretty good first year on my own but would like some advice on this??

THANKX

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
For new customers?. My lack of success with these is only my fault. I've only done a few mailings and failed to follow up with at least 3 mailings to the same list on a timely manner. Truthfully that's why I like YP. You pay, it's always there. The only time line is to get in on next years yp. No problem there, the salesmen will remind you plenty :Lil:

Being inconsistent in advertisement is a dumb thing to do and a waste of money. I'm thinking about the bridgepoint or similar newsletter for existing customers. Usually mail 2-3 times a year but every time is a hassle.

Albert

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
I have found it to be the best return for my dollar. I tried YP, newspapers, local community newsletters and a hundred other things. I make about $4 for every dollar spent mailing postcards not including repeat and referrals. I design them on microsoft Publisher and have a mailing company print them in black ink on half page postcards,,Salmon colored or a color that women like. You can also choose which areas you want to work in. I chose 5000 homes and hit those whole mail routes about 3 times a year. My average ticket is alot higher because I am getting better customers than other forms of mass marketing.

Give it a try. I'd be glad to e-mail you my postcard to look at if you want to see it.

Good luck!

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
So Jim, have you only mailed to those 5000?. When did it start paying off, 1rst, 2nd, 3rd mailing?.

Albert

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
Albert, I only broke even the first 2 mailings. By the third and fourth the calls really start to come in. I never put an expiration date on them even though the gurus say you need to create a sense of urgency, some people are just not ready to clean right then, if they want to clean 3 months down the road that's great. I had a call this week from my march mailing which was my last mailing. The repeats and referrals have kept me plenty busy, and that's where the postcards REALLY pay off.

I plan on mailing to these areas 3 times next year and then can coast pretty good on repeats and referrals. I get better customers who tend to get more work done, instead of a LR and hall they are more likely to get more stuff cleaned, therefore making my ticket average alot higher.

JohnnyV

I pretty much consider myself marketing failure. The only thing that Has worked for me is the repeats and referrals. I tried Postcards but didn't stick with it. Its hard watching that money go into them and then no calls. I didn't do like Jim said tho and keep mailing. I know it's my own fault. I also didn't/ don't no squat about putting together an effective Card. There are so many of those stupid bait and switch mailers hitting peoples mail boxes. So Jim. if you would let me take a look at what you're sending out, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
JohnnyV

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Actually breaking even on the first 2 is not bad. Plus you never really know how much it will pull in in the following years. Seems 3-4 times is the magic number. I have seen similar results in the neighborhood flyer we send out fairly consistently. The money is not great but getting in your truck and driving a few blocks is.

Albert

G

I like the idea.. but I'd target specific people and houses.. and get it as personal as you can.

First of all... do us a favor.. and drop CLEANFORCE1 here.... and become Rob Lyon . I like people.. not callsigns. unless you're ashamed of teh name that your momma gave ya. Be proud. you dont shake their hand at the door and say "hi.. Cleanforce1 here to clean'.. do ya? lol
Dont do us that way. .. I'd appreciate it anyways.. with all respect to you.
Credibility here is credibility there. Straight up.

Dont 'shotgun' market.
its cheap,, impersonal... and a million trees are dedicated to this nonsense everyday.. and most ends up in the trash.. the rest as 'coasters'. lol

If you are going to spend the money.. make it 'eye catching' and worth it.
It make a little time.. but dedicate an hour or two each week.. drive thru the hoods that you want to work in. write down house numbers..

Market yourself.
You will be at a setback,, i think,, if you are new.. and have no real customer base.
There is NO fast ticket into this.
a decent customer base.. is 5 years minimum.
Dont listen to the naysayers.. The engine of growth of good clients has a hugh governor' if you will.
Like anything worth having,, it takes TIME.

Be patient.. make a plan.. and most of all.. work on your level of quality.
You will only get ONE shot to make a first impression. 99% of them make the very same impression. and its not good enuf.
The only reason they get more work is because the customer hasnt' been hit with an 'alternative'..

Be the alternative.. or get left on the dock when companies like mine sail their boat.

Make sense.

In the end of the day.. its about a relationship with your customer.. bigtime.. but moreso.. a relationship thats backed by nothing but the highest quality work.

Thats what makes your initial postcard and its subsequent spreading like wildfire.. WORk.
You can send all the smack ya want to thru the mail.. but on judgement day.. you have to be able to 'back the smack' to give your mailings credibility.

BEst of luck.

Rob Lyon

Name
Rob Lyon
Guys, Thank you very much, that was some awesome advice.
Steve, you are right about the name, I will change it soon.
Even though I spent many years working for larger franchise's
it is still world of difference from running a multi-million dollar
business to starting your own, however it did have its advantages!!

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I'm with JohnnyV as I've done it but overall I think it was a waste of time.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Sounds like we need a source for mailing postcards. Someone we can send our list to and they send on a pre-determined timely basis. Something like the newsletters. But most of all SOMEONE WE CAN TRUST!!.

Albert

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
I have never used them but I believe sendoutcards.com sends cards out automatically on a pre-determined basis. You can design your own cards or use theirs.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
Albert, expresscopy.com does just that. You can upload several items and schedule the mailings. A guy could set up a whole year and forget about it. Everything is automated, you just need to provide the addresses and copy.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
I use a local mailing company. Look in the YP under business services or mailing.

JohnnyV did you get the postcard I e-mailed you? Please let me know,, I just switched over to roadrunner and haven't quite figured out the new e-mail system.

Thanks!

G

Direct marketing is a numbers game. It's repetition. It's consistency. Like Dobs said, don't shotgun. Much of your effort goes places you don't want to work anyway. Narrow your list down to the most promising prospects. It's time consuming but it pays off. Put your best foot forward with a professional piece that conveys your professionalism and builds confidence in the reader.

All of your marketing is an investment in your business. Even when it doesn't generate as much work as you'd like, or maybe even none, every mailing still generates tens, hundreds or thousands of impressions in the market you serve. The more people see you, the more familiar you become. The more familiar you are, the more comfortable people feel about calling.

Look at all the billboards along the road. People may not pull over and jot info off the sign, but it reinforces other forms of marketing. Is there anybody left who doesn't know that silly Geico gecko? When people see the gecko they think Geico. As familiar as he's become, when his image is on a billboard little else is needed to get the message across. Any advertising you do will hopefully do the same sort of thing, helping you become a more established part of the community.

The best marketers I've met made the commitment and saw it through the scary part. From our own experience, it wasn't until we committed to spending the dollars, come hell or high water, that we saw a meaningful return. Some advertising worked great, some absolutely flopped, some it was hard to tell. Overall, it was a positive. It was an uncomfortable first year but the results made the next year's spending decisions a no-brainer. It was some of the best money we ever spent.....despite the fact a lot of it went to the YP's. lol

G

High 5 to Wayne Miller

Wow wayne.. post of the day possibility there. lol

Handshake and a smile at ya.

Thats is info that makes this forum work at its best.

Everyone needs to read that.. and reread it time and time again.

Very true words... and I will heed them... as I expand.. and need to market more doing such. .

great stuff.. keep it flowing my friend. theres an education in your words and we thank you for your words of experience.

Dobs

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom