PowerClean Mix Tank Float Switch

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Many of us who own these units have had to replace this part numerous times. It's very expensive and sometimes only last a matter of months. I know John's guys at Superior have been working on an alternative and now I've come up with a solution that I think will also be satisfactory. I had my welder put in another 1/2" SS coupling in the mix tank. It is located at the same depth as the bottom float on the original float switch assembly.
FloatSwitch003.jpg

I bought two of these float switches from Grainger and installed one into the added fitting in the tank and the other in an unused fitting near the top of the tank.
FloatSwitch002.jpg

I wired them just like the original and it works great. I also installed these vibration isolators under the tank. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Cylind ... Pid=search
Time will tell if they last any longer but even if they don't at less than $17 each it won't be as painful.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Just thought I'd give an update on these retro fitted level switches. It's been 5 months now and they have worked flawlessly.

lance

Shane, why did the welder have to put in another port? How did that make it better?

Why do you think the new floats work longer/better than the old floats? More simple maybe?

Thanks.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
PowerClean waterbox systems require one float switch to turn on the pump and another one to turn it off(they actually open and close a solenoid valve). The OEM switch assembly is one piece suspended from the lid. It is expensive and has a high rate of failure. I used one switch to turn on the pump(the lower one) and another to turn it off(near the top). The waterbox did not have a suitable place to install the lower switch. Both the OEM float assembly and the ones I used work on the same magnetic reed principle, I think the OEM is just more fragile. When I changed the float system I also installed some vibration dampers under the tank, this may have helped the OEM part last longer as well. I don't know, but wasn't going to buy another OEM.

neb scott

Name
Scott Schacht
Hi Shane, I have a powerclean unit also and am having problems with the original float and cannot find replacement. Would like to do what u did also. Do u have the part numbers for those floats? Since I know yours works would like exact same floats.thanks.

neb scott

Name
Scott Schacht
owner

Haven't check with them yet but 2 other places did find, but both want over $500 bucks for it.no way! Definitely want to do what Shane T did and be done with it. Can't find exact same floats from Grainger he used. Anyone have his cell so I can talk with him about it? Thanks

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Just noticed this post. I'll have to do some looking to find those numbers. I have not had a single problem since going with this set up.

Scott, what PowerClean unit do you have?

Doug, It seems that the original float switches are sensitive to vibration. I think my Victory must vibrate a lot more than the Genesis does.

neb scott

Name
Scott Schacht
Shane T, thank you so much for that part #. I'd been looking at that switch online but it looked so much different than the one in your pic.and are you kidding me $18.49 per switch what a bargain. Just ordered them and since I used to tig weld pressure tanks all day in a past life putting in new port no prob. My machine is one of the masters touch machines.or tmt 3000 which is really a powerclean freedom xt with a cat 5c3 pump with 3000 psi. I really do like machine, i do all maintence and keep all fluids fresh and i usually have no issues. I'm not the best with electrical stuff. There's 2red and 2yellow wires coming out of old float rod how did you wire it? The end of my rod is sealed so I can't tell witch wires go to top or bottom float? Thanks again for all your help.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Both switches should be installed the same so when the water level is up the switches are open. As far as what color wire goes where, it doesn't really matter as long as you do both the same. ie red to black and yellow to white or visa versa. That's what I remember, hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom