Pre-spray application alternatives...

FloorPizza

Name
Brandt
So I've recently scared myself. Reading all the MSDS sheets on the various pre-sprays has me convinced that lowering the inhalation amount of pre-spray is a good, good thing. I have four different garden sprayers I've been using for pre-spray application, and all of them atomize enough of the spray that there is always some inhalation exposure.

What sprayers have you guys found that spray a coarse enough spray to avoid inhalation problems?

Also, I've been considering using a RotoVac 360 attached directly to the porty as my pre-spray application system. Applying the pre-spray with the 360 would completely avoid inhalation potential (and allow a good pre-spray agitation), but I'm concerned that when I use the more alkaline pre-sprays, I'd run the risk of damaging my porty.. running the pre-spray through the porty's solution system. Valid concern, or should I give it a try?

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
It seems that more acids would effect your equipment rather than alkaline agents,,, However prespray are not necessarily designed with corrosion inhibitors like most rinse product allbeit acids or detergents.

Alot of people have found using a rotary 175 with gravity feed shampoo tank or a cimex machine to be a time saver by applying your prespray and aggitating it at the same time like you have thought about with your rotovac. The advantage here is you don't have to rinse out your portable when you are finished preconditioning the carpet. Alot of us still use the tried and true inline sprayers which can lay down a pretty course flow and higher pressure to reduce atomization.

The larger the jet on your sprayer the less atomization will occur. Many on here use the battery powered sprayers from Mytee with a pretty large t or v jet to keep from having that very same problem.

Chris A

Name
Chris
FloorPizza said:
Also, I've been considering using a RotoVac 360 attached directly to the porty as my pre-spray application system. Applying the pre-spray with the 360 would completely avoid inhalation potential (and allow a good pre-spray agitation), but I'm concerned that when I use the more alkaline pre-sprays, I'd run the risk of damaging my porty.. running the pre-spray through the porty's solution system. Valid concern, or should I give it a try?

I think your biggest concern with that set-up would be overwetting. I would just try a low pressure applicator, such as a battery sprayer, rather than a Hydroforce if atomization is your concern.

DavidVB

Keeping the prespray out of the air is an issue. I've become more concerned about what is in the vapors all around you when you are running the wand. The film I feel on my face after cleaning must also be in my lungs and that is not just the chems we are using. We all know what is in the carpets we are cleaning.

It never seemed to bother me much, but my son is having increasing allergy problems and I think it's related to the vapors from HWE.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
You sure its not the COUgH cOuGH vapors of your SHAMPOO?

rick imby

Name
Rick
Put a long long wand on your sprayer. Like most things the further away from it you are the less the impact. I believe if you double the length on the sprayer you will get 1/4 the vapor in your face. With many things in nature if you double the distance you will decrease exposure by 4 times.

For instance if you double the distance from and event you can see it 1/4 as well. If you double your speed in your car it takes you four times the distance to stop.

With a long wanded sprayer keep the wand down next to the carpet.

Bjorn

why just target O2 tell what other spotters and presprays and rinses SCARE THE DAYLIGHTS OUT OF YOU!!!!!

FloorPizza

Name
Brandt
Rightie Tightie said:
why just target O2 tell what other spotters and presprays and rinses SCARE THE DAYLIGHTS OUT OF YOU!!!!!

If all you got from my post was "why just target O2", you need to re-read it. And I'm not gonna go through finding all the MSDS sheets in question again. Feel free to read up on any one of your chosing; they're pretty much all scary to some extent.

Bjorn

I suggest you just live in a bubble and no harm will come to you

200px-Manneken_Pis_2009.jpg

FloorPizza

Name
Brandt
Rightie Tightie said:
I suggest you just live in a bubble and no harm will come to you

Oh, for sure! That'll do it! Thanks for the insightful and helpful suggestion! :roll:

Back
Top Bottom